• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
I am surprised MS released the information so early but it's in line with expectations - MS should be able to get at least one podium from one of the GT's - My understanding is MS thought a podium was more achievable at Vuelta and the Giro, hence the way the riders have been split up - GT riders didn't get the races they wanted in 2017, but all are happy in 2018 - Also add in that A.Yates struggles from August onwards ( if he's done a GT ), so the TDF is a perfect fit - Ewan is the interesting case - Was shocked when he was nominated for the TDF because of the TTT in which he is a deadweight - But once the objectives were explained it makes sense - Have no idea about Trentin - Is he riding the Giro or the TDF ? Apparently Trentin is not your usual Italian who prefers to ride the Giro.

Let me play around with GT teams

Giro

Chaves
S.Yates
Kreuziger
Verona
Tuft
Bewley
Trentin
Kluge

TDF

A.Yates
Nieve
Haig
Ewan
Mezgec
Impey
Hepburn
Juul-Jensen

Vuelta

Chaves
S.Yates
Verona
Power
Tuft
Edmondson
Power
Howson

Way too early to be thinking GT line-ups. Puzzling that MS would be showing their cards this early unless there is an element of bluff involved ...... but my estimation of M.White's intelligence considers that somewhat beyond his capabilities given the grand military balls-up he oversaw this year ! Chaves and SY do seem to have a reasonable level of compatibility/ability to co-habit so I have no issue with that call.

Of your line-ups:
- if Chaves at Giro and Vuelta are going to be their main objectives then I most definitely dissent from your selecting Verona. He has shown exactly 3 parts of diddly squat as regards any capacity as a high level climbing domestique let alone produce any results.
- Would select Howson ahead of him for both Giro and Vuelta. In fact, you'd be seriously considering selecting Haig but sending him as pseudo B option at Tour is something I can go with.
- selecting a superannuated engine in Tuft for 2 GTs ? Send him to one, I can go with but I'd prefer the likes of Bewley or Hepburn (both who have excellent relationships with Chaves) to do any "double" as they are younger and better able to back up
- Kluge .... is just a wasted selection. His only utility would be in service to Ewan.
- Power .... has to earn his ticket. As yet, he has given 0 justification for doing so.
- Nieve is somewhat of an X factor. Who will you team him with in lead-up races in order to build up understanding/rapport ? Think he is an interchangable with Kreuziger.

DP - Don't take all of my post as gospel - I'm just throwing out some suggestions.

- Verona will ride one or two GT's because you can back him in to finish the race.
- Bewley is a definite chance to do two GT's.
- Think Hepburn deserves to ride a TDF. He is a reliable rider and of course he is now full time on the road
- Kluge needs to ride a GT and he makes sense at the Giro, especially if Trentin rides.
- Nieve has to do the TDF because if anything goes wrong with A.Yates, Nieve can win a stage or even a KOM.
- Power as a third year pro, especially with his characteristics needs to aim for a GT in his third year.
- I am unfazed if Howson rides the Vuelta or the Giro or both.

Finally, the one selection for me which is non-negotiable is Edmondson for the Vuelta. He has a fast finish and could find an opportunity or two in the final.

yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
You've got Power in the Vuelta twice

Hence my comment about not taking my post as gospel - Do you have any ideas to throw into the mix ?
Well I'd take Trentin to the Tour to target some stages and assist the sprints.
I'd rate Nieve ahead of Yates for GC too so I'd at least have him as a protected rider with Haig and/or RK as support.

Also I think Durbridge or Tuft for the Tour to drive the TTT and be the big engine on the flatlands.

swuzzlebubble said:
yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
You've got Power in the Vuelta twice

Hence my comment about not taking my post as gospel - Do you have any ideas to throw into the mix ?
Well I'd take Trentin to the Tour to target some stages and assist the sprints.
I'd rate Nieve ahead of Yates for GC too so I'd at least have him as a protected rider with Haig and/or RK as support.

Also I think Durbridge or Tuft for the Tour to drive the TTT and be the big engine on the flatlands.

Remembered I left out Bauer - Well suited to the TDF with cobbles/TTT and lead out for Ewan.

Mitchelton Scott Conti team is now to be sponsored by Sun Holdings from Hong Kong - This is the fourth richest family in Hong Kong - I suspect the aim is to have them involved in sponsoring the World Tour team. Somehow the Conti team got an invite to the Tour of Dubai.

Re:

yaco said:
It's good to see A.Yates and particularly Kreuziger performing well at Valenciana - Adam will be lonely at times in 2018 and Kreuziger (form permitting) will be his right hand man.

I will agree that Kreuziger with AY looks to be a likely combination as I suspect Chaves will have a strong view on who he has riding with him at Giro and most likely Vuelta. SY will most likely ride one GT with Chaves but Haig may get the nod for the other as B option. Nieve and where/who he fits in with will be interesting to see how it plays out as a fit and in form Howson already has a major "in" with Chaves.

As for Kreuziger; I suspect he will be wanting some legitimate opportunities to ride for himself if (particularly Ardennes week) otherwise it's a bankable certainty that he will be riding elsewhere next year.

Apparently Kreuziger is happy with the team and has fitted in well to the team culture - His performance in Valenciana is at the required level and hoping it continues in 2018 - From what I understand his program will mirror A.Yates. The team for the Giro will be interesting but will be more climbing focused than at the TDF - Disappointing that Bewley fractured his arm as this is the third serious type of injury after just a month of racing.

Re:

yaco said:
Apparently Kreuziger is happy with the team and has fitted in well to the team culture - His performance in Valenciana is at the required level and hoping it continues in 2018 - From what I understand his program will mirror A.Yates. The team for the Giro will be interesting but will be more climbing focused than at the TDF - Disappointing that Bewley fractured his arm as this is the third serious type of injury after just a month of racing.

Finding his work environment agreeable and his team colleagues amicable company are certainly plus points but Kreuziger is a rider of sufficient stature that he was NOT signed merely to ride as a key domestique in GTs and certain stage races but also to have his own opportunities to ride for results at significant races suitable to his skills set.

Just where is he going to be given those opportunities ? During Ardennes week; he already has Albasini who has podiums at all 3; Impey in the frame for AGR let alone either of the Yates or Chaves. I grant that the late season races (Bretagne & the 2 Laurentian classics) are possibilities but the bird may've already flown the coop as regards contracts.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Finding his work environment agreeable and his team colleagues amicable company are certainly plus points but Kreuziger is a rider of sufficient stature that he was NOT signed merely to ride as a key domestique in GTs and certain stage races but also to have his own opportunities to ride for results at significant races suitable to his skills set.

Just where is he going to be given those opportunities ? During Ardennes week; he already has Albasini who has podiums at all 3; Impey in the frame for AGR let alone either of the Yates or Chaves. I grant that the late season races (Bretagne & the 2 Laurentian classics) are possibilities but the bird may've already flown the coop as regards contracts.

Ultimately it comes down to whether the team and rider are happy - There is every possibility that Kreuziger could go for a stage win in a one week tour or even a GT - My impression is he is happy with his current role - It's interesting that EWAN will be riding the Tour Of California for the TDF - Nearly all the big sprinters will be at this race so it will be a good dress rehearsal for the TDF - Classics,PR and Flanders type races will be for Trentin and Durbridge with Edmondson in training - Ardennes classics will be Impey and Kreuziger for the AMG, Fleche Wallone is undecided, while LBL is Albasini and one of the climbers probably A.Yates.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Would be crazy if Albasini won't get at least a protected role at Fleche, from 2008 his record at the race is 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 2nd, 21st, 7th, 3rd, 7th, 5th. After Valverde, that is in an own category far away from others, he's one of the best in the race.

Trouble is he won't beat Valverde in his usual form, he is a podium at best, some of the younger riders are closer to Valverde now. He never had much luck and sometimes his tactics were not great in the last km or so. Unlucky not to have a classic win, very consistent. At Liege he got caught on the front for too long and cost himself the race.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Would be crazy if Albasini won't get at least a protected role at Fleche, from 2008 his record at the race is 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 2nd, 21st, 7th, 3rd, 7th, 5th. After Valverde, that is in an own category far away from others, he's one of the best in the race.

Albasini is always a protected rider in the Ardennes - MS want Chaves to have a crack at Fleche Wallone - Will happen this year or next.

movingtarget said:
Nirvana said:

Trouble is he won't beat Valverde in his usual form, he is a podium at best, some of the younger riders are closer to Valverde now. He never had much luck and sometimes his tactics were not great in the last km or so. Unlucky not to have a classic win, very consistent. At Liege he got caught on the front for too long and cost himself the race.
No one will beat Valverde on Huy, if he win only by some second is because he waits for the last 300 meters and he stop pedaling before the line to celebrate, not because some riders are near to him.
Anyway Albasini is one of the favourites for the other two podium spots.

And Mitchelton Scott sign 19 year old Robert Stannard to their team for their 2019 - Currently riding for the Conti Squad he is super-talented rider - MS had him in their sights for a while, and I suggest the early signing is to stop what happened with Hamilton, Storer and Hindley last year.

Quite interested to see what MS can do this year in the classics. They have generally punched above their weight with those monument wins, but I reckon their classics squad looks much more developed and well balanced now. I think they'll be in the mix in most finales. I'd really like to see Durbridge break through for a big win.

Have Mitchelton Scott ever been at the top of both the individual and team rankings in their short history?

After what I thought was an average and under performing 2016 the team is looking much better balanced this year and things look very interesting for the Spring racing. I am trying to recall a period of time where the team has performed so well across different races in a short 2 week period. Tirreno Adriatico, Paris-Nice and last weekend at MIlan-San Remo where Caleb Ewan had Trentin, Impey and Juul Jensen as team support in the front bunch and all an option to try for the win if things hadn't worked out for Ewan.

I too think that Durbridge can be the dark horse over the Spring classics (if he can stay upright). Not sure if they will keep loading up Impey but he is in career best form and can just about ride and be in contention in any race. When you talk about Kreuziger I think he will get his chances at MS, they have always been good with giving nearly all of their riders some chances at going for the win themselves. The Catalunya race is one where you wouldn't have normally considered Orica or MS in the past but that is a strong climbing team they have there with the Yates brothers and Chavez all in form, plus the young talent of Verona, Haig and Power, plus Impey to go for the flatter stage. Would have been good to see how Neive went with these young guys but a training mishap has him out for a few weeks.

Even though the team has some excellent time triallers they do lack a potential ITT winner at any stage. Durbridge, Tuft, Impey and Bewley form a great TTT team but if they had the likes of Dennis that would really set the team up well. I wonder if they will groom Hepburn to be that type of racer, or will he be the man to takeover from Tuft and do the strongman role?

Also of interest is Damien Howson. After the superb Vuelta of 2016 and his Herald Sun Tour win in 2017 he seemed to drop off a bit (not sure if he was injured or ill) and a couple of the young Aussie guys in Haig and Power seemed to step up to that mountain domestique role. Anyone know what MS have in store for him and where he might race over the next 3 months?

Actually MS is riding exceptionally well, yet I don't believe they have got full value from their race results - They've given some of their riders an interesting calendar - Haig two race days so far, Verona three race days so far, Albasini has hardly ridden, Power did the Herald Sun Tour and was a last minute replacement for Strade Bianche and for Catalunya, first year pro L.Hamilton has been treated with kid gloves, while Howson hasn;t ridden since Australia.

All I know is the Giro and the Vuelta team will be built around climbers and the TDF around Ewan.

Re:

yaco said:
Actually MS is riding exceptionally well, yet I don't believe they have got full value from their race results - They've given some of their riders an interesting calendar - Haig two race days so far, Verona three race days so far, Albasini has hardly ridden, Power did the Herald Sun Tour and was a last minute replacement for Strade Bianche and for Catalunya, first year pro L.Hamilton has been treated with kid gloves, while Howson hasn;t ridden since Australia.

All I know is the Giro and the Vuelta team will be built around climbers and the TDF around Ewan.

Power a last minute replacement? Jeez, he rode as if he had targeted it. Great to finally see a bit of his talent...

Great stage 2 of Catalunya for MS. Would have been great to see Impey finish off with the stage win but Valverde was strong. Great to see Haig, Power and Verona finish in the main bunch at the finish after doing a heap of work in that last 20kms.

The Hegelian said:
yaco said:

Power a last minute replacement? Jeez, he rode as if he had targeted it. Great to finally see a bit of his talent...
It’s easy to forget, but Power had an even better U23 palmares than Haig when he was a full year younger - and not by a small amount either. At full health he’s a serious talent, better than Haig and Howson.

TRENDING THREADS