• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nirvana said:
He said that he still doesn't know where he'll ride after Adriatica Ionica because the injury messed up his program and he needs to find out at what point is his form and how he feels in race condition.

Absolutely correct - But the aim is for him to ride the Vuelta - I'm assuming he must be riding the Adriatico Ionica for an Italian team which is a good starting point.

Does anyone know the composition of the 2018 tour squad for MS? I gather that A. Yates is in for sure with Ewan, Mezgec and Kluge. Not sure who is going to give mountain support to Yates, maybe Howson, Verona, Power or Hamilton. Impey seems like a starter and is in good form. Durbridge and Meyer seem to be underdone but they would be great for the TTT. Edmondson or Hepburn could be the power riders. Have a feel that they aren't going to take either of the oldies in Albasini or Hayman. If Hayman doesn 't go, who would they make the Captain on the road?

Re:

yaco said:
Think i posted a possible TDF Squad a few months ago. Certainties are Yates, Howson, Ewan, Mezgec, Impey and Bauer. The remaining riders from Hepburn, Kluge, Hepburn and Hayman. They will have a good squad for the sprints and the TTT.

Or not.

There's a suggestion on the Ewan thread that they still have a sprint train, despite not actually having the sprinter they were hired to lead out any more. Any ideas who might replace him?

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
yaco said:
Think i posted a possible TDF Squad a few months ago. Certainties are Yates, Howson, Ewan, Mezgec, Impey and Bauer. The remaining riders from Hepburn, Kluge, Hepburn and Hayman. They will have a good squad for the sprints and the TTT.

Or not.

There's a suggestion on the Ewan thread that they still have a sprint train, despite not actually having the sprinter they were hired to lead out any more. Any ideas who might replace him?
Maybe they upsize to a Gorilla?

Leinster said:
yaco said:

Or not.

Reckon my post was on the money - It was a last minute change of direction.

So Mitchelton Scott sign a deal for Pirelli to be their tyre sponsor - Have to expect with Pirelli's expertise they will provide an effective working product - Thought the most interesting thing was S.Yates at the launch which suggests he will renew his contract

yaco said:
Nirvana said:
Trentin will return from his broken vertebra at Adriatica Ionica.
He will likely miss national championship and the Tour but if he has recovered well he could be in good shape for Poland and Eneco or, at least, for the Vuelta.

Trentin is definitely riding the Vuelta - He could snag a one or two stages.
I’d like to see Ewan, Trentin and Verona or Kreuziger as the main riders for La Vuelta. Ewan could clean up, Trentin has had good form but an unlucky year and Kreuziger has worked selflessly since moving and is still riding well.

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Nirvana said:
Trentin will return from his broken vertebra at Adriatica Ionica.
He will likely miss national championship and the Tour but if he has recovered well he could be in good shape for Poland and Eneco or, at least, for the Vuelta.

Trentin is definitely riding the Vuelta - He could snag a one or two stages.
I’d like to see Ewan, Trentin and Verona or Kreuziger as the main riders for La Vuelta. Ewan could clean up, Trentin has had good form but an unlucky year and Kreuziger has worked selflessly since moving and is still riding well.

Ewan is no chance of riding the Vuelta - Trentin will ride if fit, while Verona is a near certainty - Unsure about Kreuziger but it will be a GC focused team. Anyway it's great to see Hepburn rewarded for his consistency by getting a ride in the TDF.

Re:

yaco said:
Well Ewan and Mezgec have been entered for the Vuelta and Ewan is desperate to get a GT into his legs - Notice that Ewan is a late withdrawal from Ride London on Sunday.
I assume because Chaves wont ride? I think I read somewhere that there still is something wrong. That pretty lucke for Ewan if thats the case.

Si is obviously gonna ride, but is Adam? Guy has failed 3 straight GTs in a row. At least Simon Yates won 3 stages in the process of bonking - overall, a much more likeable rider as well.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Well Ewan and Mezgec have been entered for the Vuelta and Ewan is desperate to get a GT into his legs - Notice that Ewan is a late withdrawal from Ride London on Sunday.
I assume because Chaves wont ride? I think I read somewhere that there still is something wrong. That pretty lucke for Ewan if thats the case.

Si is obviously gonna ride, but is Adam? Guy has failed 3 straight GTs in a row. At least Simon Yates won 3 stages in the process of bonking - overall, a much more likeable rider as well.

Good to see Ewan riding. I expected Chaves to ride as well.

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Chaves is not riding for the foreseeable future - Haig will lead the team at the Tour of Utah, while Yates is the leader at Poland and the Vuelta - Yates rides to the same level as the Giro and then a podium should be a certainty.

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Chaves is not riding for the foreseeable future - Haig will lead the team at the Tour of Utah, while Yates is the leader at Poland and the Vuelta - Yates rides to the same level as the Giro and then a podium should be a certainty.
:confused: I guess you mean if he sustains his 2 week Giro level for 3 weeks.

jaylew said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

What happened in the Giro is irrelevant as Yates has previously finished top 10 in the Vuelta and the TDF.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
It probably isn't irrelevant - its never irrelevant when you are bonking that hard.

It's irrelevant in the sense that the Vuelta has a different parcours, is ridden to a different tempo, has different weather conditions - And more importantly the Vuelta has the ITT in the middle of the stage which will cause different race-day tactics.

yaco said:
jaylew said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
[quote="

What happened in the Giro is irrelevant as Yates has previously finished top 10 in the Vuelta and the TDF.
Not sure how that makes it irrelevant. If he rides at Giro level, he won't finish even top 10 at the Vuelta, let alone on the podium.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
The uncertainty about Chaves is worrying.

Ewan will feel he has a point to prove at the Vuelta. He will want to rub the team managements noses in their disastrous Tour.
Agreed about Chaves. Has anyone heard what's going on with him? What little I've seen is very vague.

I don't know what sprinters will turn up but it often seems like there's a dearth of top-level sprinters at the Vuelta, allowing one guy to mop up a bunch of stages so the Vuelta could be a goldmine for Ewan.

jaylew said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
The uncertainty about Chaves is worrying.

Ewan will feel he has a point to prove at the Vuelta. He will want to rub the team managements noses in their disastrous Tour.
Agreed about Chaves. Has anyone heard what's going on with him? What little I've seen is very vague.

I don't know what sprinters will turn up but it often seems like there's a dearth of top-level sprinters at the Vuelta, allowing one guy to mop up a bunch of stages so the Vuelta could be a goldmine for Ewan.

If there’s a field like last year’s, when Trentin dominated, or the year before’s, when Meersman and Cort split the sprints, he will win every sprint. I suspect there will be better competition this year though.

TRENDING THREADS