• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
You're looking at the wrong ranking....

Agreed, was just responding to a specific query about how many points, and agree with your approach - which was what I was trying to get at but not as clearly - that you need to look at what teams were ranked around the cut-off and try and make sure your squad looks better.

I think a few valid points should be:
If Greenedge were PC would they be invited to the tour? CP might have to as he invited all French teams this yr. It would be a massive boost for us Aussies too and would spread a bigger impact on a country that already has a big cycling fanbase.
Will Greenedge actually screw up their bid to be world tour?
What can we realistically expect them to win?
What foreign riders should they sign?
They shall have a big budget too so most of the goals/ riders we speak of should be feasible options
And last should Greenedge launch a massive bid for Michael Matthews as soon as he is off contract. He is probably one of the best riders we could sign and will have the longest future out of all possible riders.

It's a pity the UCI/ CN have not posted up the points for Pro Conti teams, that way we could evaluate to see if GE might be better than GEOX, ANDRONI and EUROPCAR, who seem most likely to be Pro teams along with Visconti's team. Also GE is aiming to set up a women's team too.

Thanks for the link.

[CT] Can you talk about your financial backing to secure the UCI World Team license in the event that a major sponsor isn’t found? From what I understand, you have someone bankrolling this project for the next 3 years.

[SB] Yes, that’s right Wade. That’s another key point. We have committed funding in place. We’re already spending a large amount of money on capital costs such as busses and trucks and service course, and materials. We’re getting a lot of that out of the way this year. We’ll be talking to potential partners, but we’re not in the sitation that we need these partners to get a kickstart as an organisation. If it happens that we don’t have a naming sponsor for 2012 we’ll delay the discussions and talk about them 2013 and just run 2012 as the Green Edge Cycling Team. We haven’t quite decided on this yet.

[CT] Can you talk about who exactly the financial backer is?

[SB] It’s a group of people, and a couple of those people include Andrew and Gerry Ryan. But yes, it’s a group of people.

So that's ~$15m, locked in for three years, regardless of naming sponsors coming on board.

Only a disaster will stop them getting a World Tour license.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
If only some of these folks backing GE would inject money into SBS so they can show more live cycling.

They are already doing a hell of a lot for Australian cycling already I don't think its fair to put that on them too. By creating Greenedge they are going to boost the interest in Australian cycling and therefore hopefully make it economically viable and sustainable to show more races (full Giro, Vuelta and Ardennes classics should be next on the agenda fingers crossed). SBS have also done a lot for Australian cycling so it annoys me whn people have a go at them for not showing more races.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
No.

I'm not having a go at SBS.

I am aware SBS are a government funded station on a little budget and they can't do anymore than what they are doing and that they have pushed the budget boundaries showing what they have shown this year.

ll I'm saying is it would be great if some of these guys can throw some money SBS's way to help them. That's all.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it my rose-tinted glasses or is cycling the no2 sport shown on SBS? Except for a weekly motorsport show I can't think of any other sport that gets lots of coverage.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Is it my rose-tinted glasses or is cycling the no2 sport shown on SBS? Except for a weekly motorsport show I can't think of any other sport that gets lots of coverage.

Football? For years SBS was known as soccer before secks.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Thanks for the link.

So that's ~$15m, locked in for three years, regardless of naming sponsors coming on board.

Only a disaster will stop them getting a World Tour license.

Yep, money is everything according to the uci.

I quite like saquatch's idea. If GreenEDGE throwed a little money to SBS for their cycling coverage then it would help develop popularity so people become interested in specifically GreenEDGE but cycling as a whole.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:

abbaskip said:
Football? For years SBS was known as soccer before secks.

10characters

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Allan Davisssssss. Pls get him.

Whilst he would be good to have, He's not getting any younger or any better and I cant see him winning any big races like MSR. Haussler or Goss have to be the targets IMO. There is only room for both if Davis would be willing to play second fiddle to one of those two.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Whilst he would be good to have, He's not getting any younger or any better and I cant see him winning any big races like MSR. Haussler or Goss have to be the targets IMO. There is only room for both if Davis would be willing to play second fiddle to one of those two.

Nor is he going to have many valuable uci points if Katusha keep ignoring him for apparently talking to greenedge.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Nor is he going to have many valuable uci points if Katusha keep ignoring him for apparently talking to greenedge.

Yes but at the end of the day the majority of the riders they have will have an insignificant amount of points or no points at all. It is obvious to me that from the Australians Cam Meyer, Simon Gerrans and Mat Goss carry the points at this stage in the season and therefore must be targets but they will also need to be recruiting points from a few foreigners to ensure them a world tour spot.

Sydney21 said:

I think he could. He could still fit into their budget,whilst working in a friendly aussie enviroment. Also he could do races like Tour of Turkey whilst Goss or Haussler, rest from classics preparing for Giro. He could also participate in early season races winning points and helping. I would say maybe on a flat stage a few yrs ago he would have been faster than Haussler. He's only 32 i think too.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
According to a report on the cyclingweekly website....Greenedge are the favourites to sign Mark Cavendish for next year....

Andy99 said:
According to a report on the cyclingweekly website....Greenedge are the favourites to sign Mark Cavendish for next year....

I was thinking not long ago that there's no reason why they wouldn't try and sign him.

I don't know if you can call them "favourites" though, as Sky and HTC are as resourceful Green Edge. HTC will have to choose between Cav and Goss (due to budget limitations) and then it's Sky or Green Edge competing for the one that moves.

TRENDING THREADS