• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
They have 60-70% of their riders and I don't think it is fair that GreenEdge are getting stuck with the reputation that Pegasus has because of their failures. Completely different, better and more reliable organisation. I have no doubt in my mind they will get the job done.

A lot of the hype train bears an unmistakable resemblance to Pegasus - but also to Sky, who have integrated into the péloton well, after a few early hiccups at least - and a couple of months where this site turned into a Team Sky fansite, publishing reports on nearly every rider, and press releases dressed up as news items like "Team Sky perfect sprint train at sprint training" and "Team Sky practice TTs using TT bikes". Team Sky's hype approach turned many off them, but since they've stopped shoving "science" and "marginal gains" down our throats and started behaving as a cycling team, they've done well.

The problem is, both with the Pegasus debacle fresh in our memories, and also some resentment from some parties for their apparent or alleged role in that farce, GreenEdge's hype is always going to be met with a touch of a sarcastic "oh yea?", or, worse, ridicule based on the "we've been here before" feeling.

GreenEdge haven't even got off the ground yet, but a lot of people have already formed their opinions of them, based on the similarities their progress and their way of promoting that progress show to both the self-aggrandising propaganda of Team Sky and the blatant bluffing of Pegasus, both of which alienated a lot of people at the time.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I find this hype amusing, outside of cycling media, few have a ****ing clue what' going on. It's all insular hype from a small section of the media, reverberating across the community like ripples in a small pond. Its only getting reported on constantly here because people are interested in its development.

Don't agree you can compare the two, anyone who does is misinformed because as you said in the 2nd paragraph, they had a hand in the Pegasus demise (how big a hand is another question) and are two different entities.

Their poachings or signings of rider leaves a little to be desired but then considering they have nothing I guess they have to start quick and exploit as many tricks in the books as possible. There's been no WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE TOUR!!!111 hype from any media statements let out in the press, even one of the latest articles said, they're looking for GC contenders that will develop for 2-3 years. The team has the appearance of being very grounded even if we don't exactly know what is happening behind the scenes.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Italians for GreenEDGE

At first Pipo Pozzato seems that will ride for australian team, but know he would sign with Lampre....
for this I ask me who italians will sign Bannan...and I think in someone:
Ballan and Daniel OSS...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I find this hype amusing, outside of cycling media, few have a ****ing clue what' going on. It's all insular hype from a small section of the media, reverberating across the community like ripples in a small pond. Its only getting reported on constantly here because people are interested in its development.

Don't agree you can compare the two, anyone who does is misinformed because as you said in the 2nd paragraph, they had a hand in the Pegasus demise (how big a hand is another question) and are two different entities.

Their poachings or signings of rider leaves a little to be desired but then considering they have nothing I guess they have to start quick and exploit as many tricks in the books as possible. There's been no WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE TOUR!!!111 hype from any media statements let out in the press, even one of the latest articles said, they're looking for GC contenders that will develop for 2-3 years. The team has the appearance of being very grounded even if we don't exactly know what is happening behind the scenes.
I agree - there is less hype and bull**** in comparison to Sky and they seemed to have some very well grounded people.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree - there is less hype and bull**** in comparison to Sky and they seemed to have some very well grounded people.
but that does have to do with where cycling sits in Oz - apart from the TDU, the Tour de France and when the olympics/com games are on you dont hear a peep about it, nothing about the Giro or the Classics...nadda. Im not sure what its like in England but I would imagine there is more Cycling in media in general compared to Oz.

I think we can use this as an advantage - keep building with no pressure or hype untill we have somthing to hype up about

May 25, 2010
Visit site
They should get Cadel on the payroll anyway, he's done more for the team then anyone else would have. Perfect timing.

Oh, I've seen the jersey for next year. Not going to describe it because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to but my opinion on it is that if you could think of the blandest, boring-est jersey design you could think of, this would beat it.

sportzchick said:
but that does have to do with where cycling sits in Oz - apart from the TDU, the Tour de France and when the olympics/com games are on you dont hear a peep about it, nothing about the Giro or the Classics...nadda. Im not sure what its like in England but I would imagine there is more Cycling in media in general compared to Oz.

Not really. Apart from the TdF most British people don't have a clue about road racing. Forget the Giro, Vuelta, Classics..... There's more coverage of track because I think they can understand the Olympics.

Only a couple of days ago I was trying to explain to my (English) brother-in-law how it was that Mark Cavendish can win umpteen stages and the Green Jersey, but not be the overall winner. His response was "Well that's not much good then is it? Oh, and he was the only one who didn't win a medal at the Olympics wasn't he? Can't be much good then." Sighs. Sadly I think that's indicative of the general population.

BTW I'm not knocking the British here - I don't think cycling gets much coverage in most English speaking countries. And heaven only knows the only coverage we get in Germany these days is about doping, but don't get me started on Ard and ZDF. Maybe more in the USA due to the Lance effect, but I'd be interested to know if that's tailing off now, or whether the interest's been sustained.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Are you involved with GreenEdge and do you know which company is sponsoring the team?
Lol, no. There's no sponsorship revealed yet but apparently the jersey design wont change, they'll just splash it with sponsors when it all gets confirmed.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
They should get Cadel on the payroll anyway, he's done more for the team then anyone else would have. Perfect timing.

Oh, I've seen the jersey for next year. Not going to describe it because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to but my opinion on it is that if you could think of the blandest, boring-est jersey design you could think of, this would beat it.

My Guess mostly white with flecks of green on the shoulders.

Andy99 said:
Yep. |Hate to say it, but; here we go again.

PS Mckay and Big Gerry did not see eye to eye so 1 had to leave -

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I could be way off the mark but something just does not seem right and it seems to be a lot deeper problem than what some on other cycling sites think.

I could be completely wrong...

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I could be way off the mark but something just does not seem right and it seems to be a lot deeper problem than what some on other cycling sites think.

What are you basing it on ?

Now Evans won the tour the best thing for Greenedge to do is as soon as August 1 comes around start naming people - Even if it´s Robbie - use the media rather than waiting so people start 2nd guessing.

Big Gerry has said he will back the team sponsor or no Sponsor - Neil Stevens in not a man who commits by Half.

I don´t see where the second guessing problems are coming from now, if nothing happens in 6 weeks then sure.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

It's going to be a crazy few months with everyone having Pegasus fresh in their memory...that's for sure.

I think every little thing people may start to get worried. We'll see what happens. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
It's going to be a crazy few months with everyone having Pegasus fresh in their memory...that's for sure.

I think every little thing people may start to get worried. We'll see what happens. ;)

You're probably right but it just seems odd that he's left simply due to a disagreement with Ryan.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
You're probably right but it just seems odd that he's left simply due to a disagreement with Ryan.

Not really. The disagreement seems to be how they are wanting to run the team and they are on completely different pages. In that case one person has to leave or it really won't work.

You could be right in that theres more but personally i think it is what it is

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Not especially confidence inspiring.....

'GreenEdge cycling has been pursuing that goal for some time and it's thought they could be up and running by next year.

Graham Fredericks is the CEO of Cycling Australia.

GRAHAM FREDERICKS: The Australian bid to obtain a world professional licence, to have a team on the tour is going very well in terms of the international protocols for that it is the end of August that you are allowed to seriously get down and contract the riders. As you imagine behind the scenes there is a lot of conversations going on already and to the best of my knowledge they have the resources, they have the manpower and they have a significant number of riders who are very interested and so I'm reasonably confident to say that there will be a professional licence owned by an Australian team next year.'

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2011/s3277085.htm

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Well it would be a costly **** up if they didn't get a WT license. They are hardly names associated with administrative failure (as that is the only thing which will stop the team).

Which team will be dropped for GreenEdge to get one?

Ferminal said:
Well it would be a costly **** up if they didn't get a WT license. They are hardly names associated with administrative failure (as that is the only thing which will stop the team).
I don't know. Setting up a brand new Pro Tour team is not easy, especially if you don't have experience as a manager on PT level. It would not be bad if they got a PCT license the first year and move up 1 level the next year. They probably would still be able to participate in the Tour Down Under. And yes, their ego would get a serious blow.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Somewhere Chris White is laughing.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start as a Pro Contintental team based in Europe. Which team were they counting on bumping out of the World Tour?

TRENDING THREADS