• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Somewhere Chris White is laughing.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start as a Pro Contintental team based in Europe. Which team were they counting on bumping out of the World Tour?

Who knows

Eurocar deserve a place again

Lotto have the licence but do they have the Points ?

Quickstep not many points

Highroad have no sponsor yet and riders might leave so no points again - Maybe

Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team -what points do they have ?

and the other big thing is UCI want this to happen, more than the Chris White affair

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Somewhere Chris White is laughing.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start as a Pro Contintental team based in Europe. Which team were they counting on bumping out of the World Tour?
Really cba reading back but there should be a link to an article where they've stated that if they have to start of as ProConti they will. Personally, I think they will get a ProTeam license one way or the other, the backroom politics started even before Pegasus was announced I think and there's been a lot of politicking with the UCI (Geelong Worlds holiday?).

We'll see.

Sasquatch said:
Which team will be dropped for GreenEdge to get one?

Whoever is 19th best.

It will be a farce if they haven't signed enough points for top15. Given say, Goss, Meyer and Langeveld would already have them in 15th place (yes I understand the rankings go deeper than WT, but it's just an example).

Although it would slightly amuse me to see them fail to reach that mark, given all their big words and expensive promos.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Omega Pharma & Vac will merge. Not sure whats going on with Lotto though. They need a co-sponsor to stay afloat I presume.

Looking forward to the first release of names tomorrow.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Since when do football teams (of any codes) announce all their signings on the opening day of the transfer market? Expecting all these new signings to be announced all of a sudden on day 1 is just illogical.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Green edge NEED to announce a raft of names tomorrow.

Otherwise I'm afraid pretty much what little confidence there is in the future of the 'team' will be lost.

Andy99 said:

Otherwise I'm afraid pretty much what little confidence there is in the future of the 'team' will be lost.
Your confidence or the confidence of people that really matter in this case? If they have some good riders, they will get a WT license. That's all that matters. If some fans are not confident, so be it.

Andy99 said:

I'm guessing there won't be as many announcents tomorrow as people think since they still need to sign contracts before things are announced and that will probably take a few days at least.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Woooooohhhhoooooooooo!!! And We're off!!!!! I havn't been this excited since Cadel won the tour :) You're right about Porte being a bit of a let down - but if he was alongside BMC with cadel it would also be a tantalising prospect.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hang on, article claims they also have:

Goss, Howard, Haussler and Matthews. Why wouldn't he resign with Rabobank...or why would Rabo only offer him a 1 year deal?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
No. It says they are joining O'Grady on teh national team to ride the London Olympic course test race. Not that they are joining him at a new team next season.

Susan

Ah, thanks. :eek:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Your confidence or the confidence of people that really matter in this case? If they have some good riders, they will get a WT license. That's all that matters. If some fans are not confident, so be it.

I'm confident (hoping) they pull it off. It will be great for Australian cycling.

My concern is doubters amongst potential signees.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Can I just say, that CN really have their fingers on the pulse about GreenEdge.

3pm, BST time, the article goes up on The Australian and gets linked on this forum at 4:09pm and on twitter at around 4:25pm. 5:45pm and Benson is twitting a quote from McEwen himself and 3hrs,44 minutes after the source article, at 6:44pm a counter-article is up.

Wow, chapeau.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:

Why???? They announce them when they want to. They'll have to announce quite a few names this month due to UCI regulations but otherwise there is no real pressure.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
129166347626702485.jpg