• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope they sign G Brown and Robbie image the team bus if the Sprint train feel apart, punches headbutts.

But I do hope they sign Brown as gossy lead out man. Loss high end speed but doesn't teamed cr@p from anyone and good position finder.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
So when are they announcing Matt Goss has signed?

When they have signed him, if they sign him. I doubt they will delay announcing it, it is going to be a key signing, perhaps THE key signing. Knowing Goss has signed will give the team more credibility and perhaps help getting others to sign.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Some interesting quotes from the press release:

“There’ll be a lot of young guys on the squad and Shayne (Bannan) understands the need to have someone to guide them,” O’Grady said

“I’ve still got ambitions in the big one-day classics, particularly Paris-Roubaix. I know the notebook Fabian Cancellara uses in Roubaix because we came up with it together. There’ll be plenty of races the younger guys can go for but that’s my major personal goal,” he said.

So a hint of future signings to come and that being outright leader for Roubaix (as well as "favourable" chance at Olympics selection) seems to have sealed the deal for him.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Some interesting quotes from the press release:

So a hint of future signings to come and that being outright leader for Roubaix (as well as "favourable" chance at Olympics selection) seems to have sealed the deal for him.

Would have thought the 2 year contract would have been high on the list. If not the highest.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Haussler is still contracted at Garmin for next year isn't he?

“There’s not rivalry in the team but it’s hard because there’s guys like Thor Hushovd and Tyler Farrar that both want to go for the sprints, both want to go for the green jersey and I just thought it's better I stay out of it and concentrate on the worlds,” he said of the outfit he is committed to until the end of 2012. "

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/30341/haussler-on-track-at-tour-of-switzerland-

Ja, unless anything changes seeing as he was also contracted through 2012 at Cervelo the previous year... but it won't

If Langeveld is there he will probably be no.1 leader in Flanders and O'Grady no1 leader in Roubaix. Perhaps that is confirmation of no Pozatto and no Thor, not tnat I was expecting wither to come anyways.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
“There’s not rivalry in the team but it’s hard because there’s guys like Thor Hushovd and Tyler Farrar that both want to go for the sprints, both want to go for the green jersey and I just thought it's better I stay out of it and concentrate on the worlds,” he said of the outfit he is committed to until the end of 2012. "

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/30341/haussler-on-track-at-tour-of-switzerland-

Ja, unless anything changes seeing as he was also contracted through 2012 at Cervelo the previous year... but it won't

If Langeveld is there he will probably be no.1 leader in Flanders and O'Grady no1 leader in Roubaix. Perhaps that is confirmation of no Pozatto and no Thor, not tnat I was expecting wither to come anyways.

They'd have a more than decent Classics (Pave/Ardennes) team I think, using my list from the other page:

O'Grady
Gerrans
Langeveld
Kroon
Cooke
Clarke
Keukeleire
Roberts
Docker

Then guys like Mouris, Davis, Lloyd, McEwen, Roulston? on the periphery.

Maybe not enough to be considered favourites but they wouldn't remain completely anonymous.

Started this in the transfers thread but it should be here:

TeamSkyFans said:
Sydney Morning Herald reporting Green edge after Gerrans and Martin
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweetbutton

they list the Greenedge Squad as

Confirmed: Jack Bobridge (Garmin-Cervelo), Cameron Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo), Travis Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo), Stuart O’Grady (LeOpard), Daniel Teklehaymanot (Eritrea)
Likely to join: Michael Albasini (Swtz/HTC-Highroad), Simon Clarke (Astana), Baden Cooke (Saxo Bank-SunGard), Allan Davis (Astana), Julian Dean (NZ/Garmin-Cervelo), Luke Durbidge (Jayco-AIS), Mitch Docker (Skil-Shimano), Simon Gerrans (Sky), Matt Goss (HTC-Highroad), Michael Hepburn (Jayco-AIS), Leigh Howard (HTC-Highroad), Brett Lancaster (Garmin-Cervelo), Sebastian Langeveld (Neth/Rabobank), Matt Lloyd (released Omega Pharma -Lotto), Jens Mouris (Neth/Vacansoleil), Luke Roberts (Saxo Bank-SunGard), Wesley Sulzberger (FDJ), Matt Wilson (Garmin-Cervelo), Tomas Vaitkus (Neth/Astana), Pieter Weening (Neth/Rabobank)
Targeted: Tony Martin (Ger/HTC-Highroad).

Albasini would be a very good signing, but you would still think he's off the BMC.

Martin too, obviously.

Without one or both of those, their international signings look a bit too weak.

Langeveld is a great pickup, but then it's just Weening and Vaitkus, who are a level below, and Mouris below them - they need a bit more depth than that.

Without a couple more higher performing internationals I can see them fielding some fairly average teams.

Dean would also be an excellent steal, as a lead out for Goss. Would be better for them than Henderson or Roulston.

Some example teams for major races:

Paris - Nice

Goss
Dean
Daniel
Weening
Gerrans
Sulzberger
T. Meyer
Lancaster

Tirreno - Adriatico

O'Grady
Clarke
Docker
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Davis
Mouris
Roberts

Milan - San Remo

Goss
Davis
Docker
Clarke
O'Grady
Dean
Mouris
Vaitkus

Ronde

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Goss
Vaitkus
Davis
Cooke
Wilson

Roubaix

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Vaitkus
Cooke
Mouris
Roberts
Dean

Ardennes

Gerrans
Lloyd
Weening
Sulzberger
Clarke
T. Meyer
Davis
Daniel?

Giro

Davis
Dean
Clarke
Weening
Cooke
T. Meyer
Wilson
Mouris
Lancaster

Tour

Goss
Dean
O'Grady
Vaitkus
Docker
Gerrans
Lloyd
Roberts
Sulzberger

Vuelta

Goss
Davis
O'Grady
Daniel
C. Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Weening
Langeveld

Giro lineup looks quite poor. As much as I think Davis is dodgy, they probably need him.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:

Albasini would be a very good signing, but you would still think he's off the BMC.

Martin too, obviously.

Langeveld is a great pickup, but then it's just Weening and Vaitkus, who are a level below, and Mouris below them - they need a bit more depth than that.

Without a couple more higher performing internationals I can see them fielding some fairly average teams.

Dean would also be an excellent steal, as a lead out for Goss. Would be better for them than Henderson or Roulston.

Paris - Nice

Goss
Dean
Daniel
Weening
Gerrans
Sulzberger
T. Meyer
Lancaster

Tirreno - Adriatico

O'Grady
Clarke
Docker
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Davis
Mouris
Roberts

Milan - San Remo

Goss
Davis
Docker
Clarke
O'Grady
Dean
Mouris
Vaitkus

Ronde

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Goss
Vaitkus
Davis
Cooke
Wilson

Roubaix

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Vaitkus
Cooke
Mouris
Roberts
Dean

Ardennes

Gerrans
Lloyd
Weening
Sulzberger
Clarke
T. Meyer
Davis
Daniel?

Giro

Davis
Dean
Clarke
Weening
Cooke
T. Meyer
Wilson
Mouris
Lancaster

Tour

Goss
Dean
O'Grady
Vaitkus
Docker
Gerrans
Lloyd
Roberts
Sulzberger

Vuelta

Goss
Davis
O'Grady
Daniel
C. Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Weening
Langeveld

Giro lineup looks quite poor. As much as I think Davis is dodgy, they probably need him.

I think Tuarts is correct is saying this is RG guesses in the most part.

No Kroon he has been a strong Rumor for ages.

Also I hope it wrong Rory deserves a really good shot a Europe much too much 1 directional is riders signed.

The cap on Australian riders should be 70 - 75 5 that reads at 85-90%

time will tell I guess.

ps Davis is lazy rather than Dodgy IMO he needs Neil Stevens foot pounded into his *** every few weeks.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:

Martin too, obviously.

Paris - Nice

Goss
Dean
Daniel
Weening
Gerrans
Sulzberger
T. Meyer
Lancaster

Tirreno - Adriatico

O'Grady
Clarke
Docker
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Davis
Mouris
Roberts

Milan - San Remo

Goss
Davis
Docker
Clarke
O'Grady
Dean
Mouris
Vaitkus

Ronde

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Goss
Vaitkus
Davis
Cooke
Wilson

Roubaix

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Vaitkus
Cooke
Mouris
Roberts
Dean

Ardennes

Gerrans
Lloyd
Weening
Sulzberger
Clarke
T. Meyer
Davis
Daniel?

Giro

Davis
Dean
Clarke
Weening
Cooke
T. Meyer
Wilson
Mouris
Lancaster

Tour

Goss
Dean
O'Grady
Vaitkus
Docker
Gerrans
Lloyd
Roberts
Sulzberger

Vuelta

Goss
Davis
O'Grady
Daniel
C. Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Weening
Langeveld

As if you wouldnt give Howard a dig at the Giro for a couple of weeks he's pretty fast - certainly faster than Alby...and he's only going to get faster.

And Matt Lloyd would alsmost certainly want to ride the Giro seeing as its his favourite race.

But your right about Albasini and Martin being dearly needed.

Interesting to note that there is no Canadian or plural Kiwi's in the proposed squad as had been previously said.

Sydney21 said:
As if you wouldnt give Howard a dig at the Giro for a couple of weeks he's pretty fast - certainly faster than Alby...and he's only going to get faster.

Howard wants to ride the TP in Melbourne/London, at least I think that is the case!

Bobridge/C. Meyer/Howard/Durbridge/Hepburn are pretty much inactive until August/September although one or two may become available if they realise they aren't in the first 5 for the TP. So the team's depth will be tested in the first year.

I guess Howard is the most likely of those 5 to go 100% road next season. The local rag has also been reporting that Meyer is considering missing out on London (has to choose between Tour or Olympics).

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I think those young guys will chase gold in London and then retire or at least turn down their track and concentrate 100% on the road

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I guess Howard is the most likely of those 5 to go 100% road next season. The local rag has also been reporting that Meyer is considering missing out on London (has to choose between Tour or Olympics).

He'd be stupid to do that. He is the world's best track rider, and has plenty of time to ride the tour. He should ride London definitely.

Pity they've taken out half of the good events though. Not sure why swimming can have every stroke and distance under the sun, but cycling can't even have completely different races.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:

Martin too, obviously.

Paris - Nice

Goss
Dean
Daniel
Weening
Gerrans
Sulzberger
T. Meyer
Lancaster

Tirreno - Adriatico

O'Grady
Clarke
Docker
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Davis
Mouris
Roberts

Milan - San Remo

Goss
Davis
Docker
Clarke
O'Grady
Dean
Mouris
Vaitkus

Ronde

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Goss
Vaitkus
Davis
Cooke
Wilson

Roubaix

Langeveld
O'Grady
Docker
Vaitkus
Cooke
Mouris
Roberts
Dean

Ardennes

Gerrans
Lloyd
Weening
Sulzberger
Clarke
T. Meyer
Davis
Daniel?

Giro

Davis
Dean
Clarke
Weening
Cooke
T. Meyer
Wilson
Mouris
Lancaster

Tour

Goss
Dean
O'Grady
Vaitkus
Docker
Gerrans
Lloyd
Roberts
Sulzberger

Vuelta

Goss
Davis
O'Grady
Daniel
C. Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Weening
Langeveld

I saw that article too.

I disagree regarding Dean. He has been shown over and over, that he has nothing on Renshaw as a lead out man. Not as quick, and not as good at positioning.

With Lancaster, Davis, Howard, Goss, Cooke, Meyer + all the other young trackies, I don't see the need for someone like Dean at all to be honest.

Lancaster would be great but i was surprised by his rather poor performance at Eneco. I spose he has however had to be more enduring. Congrats Stuey.

Ferminal i agree with you that we need some big name overseas signings. We need them for WT status and also to give us credibillity to win stages at the GT's.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have been talking to Dim about this on Twitter and he raised a good point that it wasn't necessarily wise to having 70-80% australians. If you look at that list of riders, their ain't many real top professionals who can get some big results. A lot of similar riders and I think it is important that they win from the start of the year therefore if they don't then things could not go so well for them.

I also don't see Gerrans leaving Sky. he said that he was pretty much staying at sky earlier in the year.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think not many riders won't really to leave Sky. The atmoshpehere in the team must be quite friendly and everyone 'works' well together. Even Hendo who Sky didn't give many opportunites in big races cancelled GreenEdge talks and said he would want to stay with Sky if possible.

Gloin22 said:
I think not many riders won't really to leave Sky. The atmoshpehere in the team must be quite friendly and everyone 'works' well together. Even Hendo who Sky didn't give many opportunites in big races cancelled GreenEdge talks and said he would want to stay with Sky if possible.

Well, it's not like Hendo hasn't gotten any chances at Sky. He had 19 podium finishes so far while at Sky which is more than the 12 he got at Columbia in two years and with all the sprinter types that are rumored as going to GE I doubt he would be getting any more chances there than he currently gets at Sky. The main thing would be the Tour but the competition to be on the Tour squad is probably just as hard at GE as it is at Sky.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, while Hendo hasn't done the Tour in his two years at Sky, he has ridden (among others): Paris-Nice twice, MSR, GW twice, Flanders, Roubaix, Romandie, Giro, etc etc.

auscyclefan94 said:
I have been talking to Dim about this on Twitter and he raised a good point that it wasn't necessarily wise to having 70-80% australians. If you look at that list of riders, their ain't many real top professionals who can get some big results. A lot of similar riders and I think it is important that they win from the start of the year therefore if they don't then things could not go so well for them.

I also don't see Gerrans leaving Sky. he said that he was pretty much staying at sky earlier in the year.

Agreed.

(I also didn't think they would sign Gerrans, but seems to be a stronger sentiment over the last few days, due to his win mainly?).

When you are bringing in so many young and inexperienced names (regardless of their potential), you don't have too much room for just average support riders.

They already have: Bobridge, Meyer, Meyer.

They will also take 2-4 of Durbridge, Howard, Hepburn and Dennis.

For the 2013 season they will be looking at names like Law, McCarthy, Parker and Morton.

You're looking at maybe 5-8 youngsters/track-busy for the next 2 seasons who you will not be expecting a whole lot from.

There is only room for so many older riders who are unlikely to achieve results. Yet if they keep their ridiculous nationality quota they may just have to pick those sorts up.

If you include Cooke, Wilson, Lancaster, Roberts, Davis (if he doesn't get his act together) etc you have half a squad which might be unable to impose itself on races. O'Grady will have a big impact on the squad (a great signing) but results wise probably not.

So you have 10-15, all Australians, who you can't rely on to get results. Then there is also S. Clarke, Docker and W. Sulzberger, all who I rate fairly highly and who can be competitive, but maybe a year or so away from consistent results. Teklehaymanot will also be in his first full pro season.

An ok team would be something like:

Bobridge
Meyer
Meyer

(3)

O'Grady

(4)

Teklehaymanot

(5)

Howard
Durbridge
Hepburn
Dennis

(9)

4 of:

Docker
S.Clarke
W. Sulzberger
J. Walker
Davis

(13)

2 of:

Cooke
Roberts
Lancaster
Wilson

(15)

2 of:

Henderson
Dean
Roulston
Sutton

(17)

Goss
Langeveld

(19)

4-5 of:

Gerrans
Lloyd
Albasini
Kroon
Pozzato
Weening
Pinotti
Bak
Larsson

4-5 of:

Vaitkus
Pate
Tuft
Rabon
Mouris
Seeldraeyers
etc

(28)

Names are not necessarily those linked, more those (I think?) who are possibly available.

That would give you around 16-17 Australians, close to 60%.

Quite similar to Rupert's team (which only had 26 if you counted them all). I have left out Martin again, if they get Tony or Hushovd then they can afford to lower their requirements on a few of the other spots, and could pick all of the Cooke group. The more Australians you pick, the higher quality, on average, your internationals have to be. I just think it doesn't make sense to focus on a quota when they are fortunate enough to be entering the market in a time where there seems to be a great array of talent looking for a new team for 2012.

Ferminal said:
Agreed.

<sniped for length>

Quite similar to Rupert's team (which only had 26 if you counted them all). I have left out Martin again, if they get Tony or Hushovd then they can afford to lower their requirements on a few of the other spots, and could pick all of the Cooke group. The more Australians you pick, the higher quality, on average, your internationals have to be. I just think it doesn't make sense to focus on a quota when they are fortunate enough to be entering the market in a time where there seems to be a great array of talent looking for a new team for 2012.

I agree with you Ferminal. Your list is much more balanced than it seems the way Greenedge is going. As i alluded to a bit further back in this thread if they go too nationalistic they will end up fielding (no offence intended to all the Aus pros out there) a second rate team at the big races like the TdF and Giro.

And too make it even worse....if they do go all patriot/nationalistic they will end up scaring away a few more of the bigger pros that may have thought of going to Greenedge in the future because they know they will have no shot at some of the bigger races

TRENDING THREADS