• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Such a miserable process, especially when they are just revealing signings they made weeks/months ago.

Whatever gives you the EDGE.
It is but then they have 4 months to reveal all their signings. Not like there's any rush

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm the first to suggest this, but with Tejay Van Garderen saying that he can't announce his new team until September 1 as a contract clause, is it possible that he'll be with GreenEdge? With how they're announcing the names, this whole thing sorta makes sense ;)

... just putting 2 and 2 together (despite the fact that i probably only made 3)

pmtg99 said:
I hope I'm the first to suggest this, but with Tejay Van Garderen saying that he can't announce his new team until September 1 as a contract clause, is it possible that he'll be with GreenEdge? With how they're announcing the names, this whole thing sorta makes sense ;)

... just putting 2 and 2 together (despite the fact that i probably only made 3)

It's apparently a directive that the HTC riders have gotten from Stapleton. Not sure why though.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
pmtg99 said:

I think the contract clause referenced was his old contract with HTC.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Such a miserable process, especially when they are just revealing signings they made weeks/months ago.

Whatever gives you the EDGE.

I'd suggest the process is about having another news story to be picked up by the mainstream press on a daily (or every couple of days) basis. Annoying for those of us interested in what the quality of team will be, but makes complete sense for a new team based in a country where cycling isn't normally big news. Why release the full team on one day when you get a number of stories covered by releasing names/groups of names on an ongoing basis.

The signing (first signing) of Bobridge and the Meyers got mainstream coverage. The signing of the MSR champion, will get coverage. The signing of recent race winner Gerro, will get coverage.*

*Im assuming Goss/Gerro will sign - no inside line, just makes sense.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
One question; in the latest article about Greenedge on cyclingnews, they say that they are not worried about having a main title sponsor at least until 2013 but so how can they have a bank garantuee and even get a World Tour license from UCI?:confused:
Some friend even told me that they got assured by UCI that they will be surely World Tour.

Michele said:
One question; in the latest article about Greenedge on cyclingnews, they say that they are not worried about having a main title sponsor at least until 2013 but so how can they have a bank garantuee and even get a World Tour license from UCI?:confused:
Some friend even told me that they got assured by UCI that they will be surely World Tour.

Read more of the article :p

GreenEdge is bankrolled by one of Australia's wealthiest men, Gerry Ryan, who owns Jayco Caravans and the team has financial backing to the tune of around A$22 million a year for the next three years. Ryan himself is reported to be valued at A$180 million.

Several months ago, Bannan told Cyclingnews that Ryan's support meant that he was not "desperate" for a sponsor, indicating that this was most-likely to come into affect for the 2013 season.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-there-a-naming-rights-sponsor-in-the-works-for-greenedge

Same situation as Leopard.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Michele said:

I honestly think they have been given the WT licence for the next 3 years about 12 months ago.

Australian cycling wants this team to be the team and so does the UCI. Just my opinion.

The guy behind Greenedge is worth 190 Million Australian and will back the team for 3 years with or without sponsor money, this will happen as big Gerry has poured millions into Australian cycling for decades already.

And I would not be surprised if you see a flying Kangaroo on the front of the jersey for next year, again just my opinion. Unless Evans gets the cash 1st. So sponsor money should not be an issue.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
I honestly think they have been given the WT licence for the next 3 years about 12 months ago.

Australian cycling wants this team to be the team and so does the UCI. Just my opinion.

The guy behind Greenedge is worth 190 Million Australian and will back the team for 3 years with or without sponsor money, this will happen as big Gerry has poured millions into Australian cycling for decades already.

And I would not be surprised if you see a flying Kangaroo on the front of the jersey for next year, again just my opinion. Unless Evans gets the cash 1st. So sponsor money should not be an issue.

I tend to agree. When it was reported that McQuaid was overheard saying the Pegasus won't be the first aussie Pro Tour team at the end of last year something had to be already brewing.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I would be very surprised if there was a flying kangaroo on the jersey.

I guess you know a loooooooooot more than me with some of your inside knowledge - so what type of company are you hearing rumours about

ps I´m not being sarcastic - you do seem to have a ear on whats going on. :cool:

May 25, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
I guess you know a loooooooooot more than me with some of your inside knowledge - so what type of company are you hearing rumours about

ps I´m not being sarcastic - you do seem to have a ear on whats going on. :cool:
I don't have insider knowledge, just knowledge I've seen with my own eyes. :D

White is the main colour.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I don't have insider knowledge, just knowledge I've seen with my own eyes. :D

White is the main colour.

iTeam?

i'm sure nab and anz would have been contacted, as the former is pushing that edgy look with their new campaign, while anz is making a big overseas push.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. :D

Ok, to clarify: there was no sponsors at all on the jersey, it was just a template that I was told they will use, and stick sponsors on wherever. It was all white, except for black sleeves and a GE logo on the front. Can't remember shorts. It was very bland and uninspiring. Will they actually use that one? I don't know but its what I saw. :D

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
GE logo?

Tuarts said:
Ugh. :D

Ok, to clarify: there was no sponsors at all on the jersey, it was just a template that I was told they will use, and stick sponsors on wherever. It was all white, except for black sleeves and a GE logo on the front. Can't remember shorts. It was very bland and uninspiring. Will they actually use that one? I don't know but its what I saw. :D

General Electric is sponsoring them? :D

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
QANTAS maybe???

Most airlines these days are operating with very small profit margins, so even big airlines like Qantas don't necessarily have a lot of spare cash for marketing.

Now a telecom company like Telstra has comparably huge profits, and they have operations in Europe too - but their services are not aimed at consumers, they do stuff like operating data centres for corporate customers, so marketing in cycling doesn't really make sense for them.

But whatever, the team doesn't need a strictly Aussie sponsor, look at Caisse, HTC and others.

The field is frankly rather small if they are looking for major Australian sponsors; ie major corps with international exposure/looking for increased intl exposure.

Santos (energy) already has naming rights with TdU and I'm not sure they'll want to expand beyond that. Most other energy/mining have steered away from major sponsorships.

That does basically narrow it down to QANTAS & the "big four" domestic banks. It MAY be an interesting prospect for QANTAS however, as a previous poster highlighted, their bottom line hasn't been the best lately so they may pass ... at least as primary sponsor.

The banks ?? ANZ & NAB have involved themselves in medium-longer term sponsorship deals with sport in Australia .... albeit with Olympic sports. Westpac .... no real background. Commonwealth Bank used to sponsor the Commonwealth Bank Cycle Classic which was a major amateur race along the east coast of Australia during the 80's-early 90's (used to pull some v strong teams incl the eastern bloc). Commonwealth is, however, less internationally focused than the other three.

Unlike many of their counterparts in the US & UK, these banks ARE in sound condition and, whilst not the most ideal climate to be sponsor-shopping, I feel they would be the most likely prospects.

why does it have to be an 'Australian' company?

any company who wants exposure in Australia will do.

The mining and oil co's are actually looking for more exposure and oppurtunity these days (Woodside is sponsoring AFL), Car co's, Cocacola etc,

Look at who is sponsoring other major Australian sports. Who sponsors the cricket, the football, the Melbourne Cup, the tennis ..... there is a lot of sponsorship money around the place, they just need to look hard

AussieGoddess said:
why does it have to be an 'Australian' company?

any company who wants exposure in Australia will do.

The mining and oil co's are actually looking for more exposure and oppurtunity these days (Woodside is sponsoring AFL), Car co's, Cocacola etc,

Look at who is sponsoring other major Australian sports. Who sponsors the cricket, the football, the Melbourne Cup, the tennis ..... there is a lot of sponsorship money around the place, they just need to look hard

All valid points. I grant that it is plausible that a division of major conglomerate with long-term ties to Aust MAY take this opportunity.

However a lot of those sponsorships you've mentioned are purely looking at domestic Australian market exposure whereas GreenEdge's primary exposure will be in intl markets. Why would Ford, Coca Cola, Macca's, KFC & the like choose THIS specific team as a vehicle for major INT'L exposure rather than one from their native market ? Given that Holden is such a long-term OZ label, General Motors may be plausible but unlikely.

Woodside is a resources company with international exposures but I feel it will a major step for them to step up from sponsoring an AFL team from their HQ city & I'm not sure how it would fit with their corporate image. The resource/energy sector tend to keep their int'l image as low key as possible these days

Deals for domestic/regional exposure are a different matter to worldwide exposure.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Red Bull :D
That does basically narrow it down to QANTAS & the "big four" domestic banks. It MAY be an interesting prospect for QANTAS however, as a previous poster highlighted, their bottom line hasn't been the best lately so they may pass ... at least as primary sponsor.

Coca Cola isnt completely out of the question I mean it would gain worldwide exposure as a company that supports a healthy activity by sponsoring cycling. But the endorsement they get already from a number of top riders cracking open a sly coke mid race or after a race would already be effective.

QANTAS is an airline and airlines are too volatile to sponsor a major cycling team - yes i kno fly V do but their investment is significantly less... better for GE to steer clear if possible

Someone like Nike (if they wanted to distance themselves from the Shack) or Adidas or 2XU or Skins would make some sense

Big companies like HSBC or Skoda too even thought they r not Australian

Fosters is still lingering around too?

A bank could do it but many are already heavily committed to other sports in Aus.

IMO If I was the CEO of a big company I would steer clear of cycling for the next couple of years as the Armstrong case is a ticking time bomb (so too is Contador case potentially). I might be GE's logic in keeping their name to wear some of the bad publicity and when it blows over then look to have a different name-sponsor. A more sustainable approach anyway.

TRENDING THREADS