• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good points Syd21, I'd be wary of taking on naming rights sponsorship both in general terms (economic times) & with cycling, should the sport be sprayed with "fertilizer" via any negative Armstrong disclosures.

Re yr examples, Skoda already get's prime exposure thru it's deal 4 team cars. HSBC - has sponsored F1 in past, whilst longterm presence in OZ it's fairly low-key. Sporting apparel brands - possible secondary sponsor. Drinks brands - do any of them have products specific to OZ market to justify picking GE above teams from their own "native" & arguably larger markets ? Fosters LOL ..... CUB has forgotten "world domination" since Elliott's over extravagence years ago.

Interesting times indeed.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
The guy behind Greenedge is worth 190 Million Australian and will back the team for 3 years with or without sponsor money, this will happen as big Gerry has poured millions into Australian cycling for decades already.

Being worth 190M and spending 20M a year on a cycling team does not work well.

I hope Fosters sponsors the team. The would be hilarious, but not as hilarious if the Outback Steakhouse sponsored the team.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a supermarket beer in Sweden called "Crocodile Dundee" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist in Australia proper. (It doesn't, right?)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Be funny if it was Fosters. Isn't that the one that nobody in Australia drinks yet its marketed as an Australian beer?

Funny thing Fosters you buy in Australia crap

Fosters export sold overseas not a bad Lager. Different beer go figure.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
Correct it does not and that Crappy kangaroo wine nope either.

You mean these?
yellow-tail.jpg

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
I stand corrected :confused:

eughhh, he's not lying you know, i have about a half dozen that were left over after a party i went to that were given to me by the hosts in a "here clipperton, you've got a lot of wine, put these in your collection!" that are currently propping up some proper wine.

i like sydney21's point about the short to medium-term problems with sponsoring cycling, though i can't decide whether i think it'd be a good or bad thing - if the team doesn't perform then the sponsor pool will diminish regardless of the amount of time folks will have had to forget clentador and pharmstrong's current woes.

nab have some form with cycling at a non-competitive level as well as internally w/r/t around the bay in a day - i've got a couple of atb shirts with nab logos on the shoulders, while a mate who works there tells me that there's been something like 20 or 30k thrown towards getting their atb "team" for this year all kitted out (and they're pushing for more to make sure that they can get gloves and raincapes as well).

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:

I hope Fosters sponsors the team. The would be hilarious, but not as hilarious if the Outback Steakhouse sponsored the team.

That's his personal worth. His company is worth a lot more than that

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

How so? It seems like you are saying this because you want them to fail.

btw, I have never heard of the Outback Steakhouse. It seems like some amercanised version of an australian restaurant playing on the incorrect sterotype that australians only eat steak and kangaroo.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Stop being an aushole and taking anything anyone says as a sign that they are out to "get" your team. It is basic financial responsibility. Maybe you will learn something about it when you grow out of your junior high school crush stage--if you ever do. People are right. You make it hard not to hate Evans and BMC. No one can say anything without you throwing a tantrum.

auscyclefan94 said:
btw, I have never heard of the Outback Steakhouse. It seems like some amercanised version of an australian restaurant playing on the incorrect sterotype that australians only eat steak and kangaroo.

Outback Stakhouse's Bloomin Onion, an australian delicacy.

outback-steakhouse-coupons.png

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Stop being an aushole and taking anything anyone says as a sign that they are out to "get" your team. It is basic financial responsibility. Maybe you will learn something about it when you grow out of your junior high school crush stage--if you ever do. People are right. You make it hard not to hate Evans and BMC.

Outback Stakhouse's Bloomin Onion, an australian delicacy.

outback-steakhouse-coupons.png

Maybe you can stop being a bigot and maybe then I won't have to have such a response to your posts. I've just had enough of your posts which are continually against anything Ausralian.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

There is one Outback Steakhouse in Sydney that I know of. But it is a rather large chain in America. I went to one at Niagara Falls. Typical steak place, the names of the meals have Australian geographical references. Lots of Barra, shrimp (as the Yanks call it) and steak on the menu.

Of course the restaurant serves Fosters.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Glockers said:
There is one Outback Steakhouse in Sydney that I know of. But it is a rather large chain in America. I went to one at Niagara Falls. Typical steak place, the names of the meals have Australian geographical references. Lots of Barra, shrimp (as the Yanks call it) and steak on the menu.

Of course the restaurant serves Fosters.

See! It is the perfect sponsor for an australian team.

The Outback Steakhouse presented by Fosters cycling team.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
His company should be counted as part of his personal worth. Does he not own his company?

I'd have to check if it's a public company or not. If it is then no he wouldn't own it solely and his worth would be separate to that of the companies. Also, just because he is worth 190mil now doesn't mean he won't earn more money in the future. He's not a silly man he would know how much he can afford to pay out without going bankrupt

What you have to understand is that Aussies are masters of making fun of themselves, an endearing quality to be sure. However, they simply do not tolerate anyone else taking the urine out of them. No way no how. Of course, this is a grand generalization, but one that I think has more than an element of truth to it. I lived in Australia long enough to figure this out. I found that men in the urban centres were the most sensitive of them all. I postulate it's something to do with the enormous amounts of product found in their hair. More study needs to be done in this area.

I still remember my roommates anger over the Simpsons episode in Australia. He just didn't get that it was making fun of the US many times more than it was Australia.

Anyways, back to race talk, lest I be banned by the (Aussie) admin!

TRENDING THREADS