• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
It seems as though they have deleted the tweet?

I noticed it was deleted a couple of hours after I saw it here...maybe GE's PR team are reading the forum.

Doubt Durbo is the announcement today, I would assume they'd leave neo-pro's to last, and probably announce all AIS-Jayco members together (like they did for Garvelo). Of course assuming Hepburn et al also make the jump).

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
OK so if you are right about Durbridge being a later one

what does that leave. An Australian with a big engine (which to me says someone without any other particular talents to highlight)

Baden Cooke
Mitch Docker
Brett Lancaster
Luke Roberts
Matt Wilson

(yep am really bored at work today)

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
daveinzambia said:
OK so if you are right about Durbridge being a later one

what does that leave. An Australian with a big engine (which to me says someone without any other particular talents to highlight)

Baden Cooke
Mitch Docker
Brett Lancaster
Luke Roberts
Matt Wilson

(yep am really bored at work today)

I would have thought Big Engine has domestique written all over it. If I didn't think he was signed to OPL, I'd say Hansen, so given that, maybe Wilson/Roberts/Lancaster, or another international...who's a domestique.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
PCutter said:
I would have thought Big Engine has domestique written all over it. If I didn't think he was signed to OPL, I'd say Hansen, so given that, maybe Wilson/Roberts/Lancaster, or another international...who's a domestique.

was skipping over the non Australians as they have mentioned when it is an international. Apparently it was all a red herring anyway and there is no announcement coming today. We will have to wait for Big Engine reveal.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
They are leaving today's drip until unseasonably late in the day perhaps to time with the opening of business in Europe because it is a big one - if that is the case then hang onto your hats because it could be Martin:eek: (more likely Vaitkus;)*).

If GE is monitoring this thread (and where else would they get this kind of feedback) then they must be enjoying our speculation.

*In sub editor speak Tomas "the tank engine" Vaitkus

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Nearly said:
They are leaving today's drip until unseasonably late in the day perhaps to time with the opening of business in Europe because it is a big one - if that is the case then hang onto your hats because it could be Martin:eek: (more likely Vaitkus;)*).

If GE is monitoring this thread (and where else would they get this kind of feedback) then they must be enjoying our speculation.

*In sub editor speak Tomas "the tank engine" Vaitkus

My first though was Vaitkus too. What about Wurf... I know he was off contract at the end of this year but I doubted that he would leave Basso's side. Hopefully Der Panzerwagon :)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
My first though was Vaitkus too. What about Wurf... I know he was off contract at the end of this year but I doubted that he would leave Basso's side. Hopefully Der Panzerwagon :)

not heard Wurf's name mentioned with respect to GE so assumed he was still on contract.

Hopefully the drip feed will continue tomorrow

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:

But the teaser said "keep an eye out ...." and there is no "ai" in Wurf.

was enjoying the drip feed this week, made me look forward to each new day hoping for that elusive big name signing...

Guess the action will start on the 1st September when they hopefully announce Goss and maybe more HTC riders...

Now, as the majority of the signings have been expected, can anyone predict a left field signing? Go on, get creative for i am bored out of brain at work today...

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
"Bannan says there's no point in looking at this group or any future signings for a headline act. Instead -

"Well the face of the team is GreenEdge and we really want to build that team structure, team ethics, rather than just base it around a couple of individuals."

Sounds like there are no 'big' name signings coming then

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Whilst its not a left field signing it is slighty unexpected as the rumour is hes off to BMC but, I would love to see GE go hard for Teejay. Hes young so fits with the building for the future, he could provide a presence in GTs straight away (more than anyone they have at the moment) and you wouldn't have to build the whole team around him at the start, (Goss?, Gerrans etc would still be free to ride for their seasons goals) also depending on how he develops he might be able to be really competitive in GT's in later years and lets face it he would be relatively cheap compared to other GT type riders that have been talked about. Lastly Australia will not be producing any GT contenders that will be ready to seriously be doing top 10s in the next 5-8 years, so its not like he will be preventing an Aussie from stepping up.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
buster1 said:
Whilst its not a left field signing it is slighty unexpected as the rumour is hes off to BMC but, I would love to see GE go hard for Teejay. Hes young so fits with the building for the future, he could provide a presence in GTs straight away (more than anyone they have at the moment) and you wouldn't have to build the whole team around him at the start, (Goss?, Gerrans etc would still be free to ride for their seasons goals) also depending on how he develops he might be able to be really competitive in GT's in later years and lets face it he would be relatively cheap compared to other GT type riders that have been talked about. Lastly Australia will not be producing any GT contenders that will be ready to seriously be doing top 10s in the next 5-8 years, so its not like he will be preventing an Aussie from stepping up.

Lachlan Morton might be GT GC rider in 5 years, certainly showing some promise as a 19 year old. That aside your points are good, van Garderen would be a good rider to get, however given that rumours of him going to BMC have been strong for awhile so I would be surprised if he does not end up there.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
gerrans for the win said:
htc did well without a gt rider :rolleyes only 3 teams a year have a GT rider/winner so why bother spending money on one ?? they no what they are an are signing the riders to suit

While it is true that they did not have a focus on GT GC results, HTC still over the years have had quite a number of reasonable GT results.

2008 Tour - Kirchen - 8th
2009 Giro - Rogers - 7th
2010 Giro - Pinotti - 9th
2010 Vuelta - Peter Velits - 3rd
2011 Giro - Sivtsov - 10th

Greenedge do not have any riders capable of doing these kind of results.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer to have a rider who can push for a top 10-20 in GC as well as be a good chance to take the overalls for week long tours with a time trial eg. Van Garderen / Martin than have a group of only spriters / lead out train (Goss excluded) that can come top 3s at best in GT stages and win the occassional week long tour stage.

At least with a GC rider it will keep fans interest throughout the race including the Mountain stages where otherwise you will have no one to support.

TRENDING THREADS