• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that. Froome will stay at Sky, and he didn't wrote anything about GE :

Happy for @chrisfroome . Maybe his team will finally see what he is worth as a rider..trains hard, races hard all the time. Good to see!!!!

I wanna see how quick team sky are gonna be now to sign him again after they been stalling with contracts! Ha ha #uneversawthatcoming!

Actually @chrisfroome needs to find greener pastures I think...

Froome will stay, and I am sure of it. And the posts are only his opinions 'I think'.

craig1985 said:
Good to see that there will be a women's team as well. There should be some quality riders from the HTC women's outfit that they can grab.

HTC women are supposedly carrying on, but there will likely be a drop in finances that make some riders available, just like when Nürnberger Versicherung became Team Noris after the Skyter-Shipping pull out.

I note that Shara Gillow is one of the names mentioned - she looks like a really good talent. I have mixed feelings about the move. If GreenEdge are really going to push the women's side of things it's great because she's a good talent and the Australian women are really very good, meaning GreenEdge could really help the sport there. But on the other hand, she's been riding for Bizkaia-Durango this season, a Spanish team who have been ailing a little, and her stage win and day in pink at the Giro Donne was really just the fillip they needed, since that race was a bit of a disaster for them before it even started (the team were hoping to back Anna Sanchis for it, the Spanish climber who made the top 10 of the Giro back in 2008, but after her performances won her a contract with Safi-Pasta Zara, they acrimoniously split in 2009 and she sued the team for unpaid wages; as Pasta Zara were a major sponsor of the Giro, the organisers put pressure on them not to bring her, so they didn't. I don't know where I stand on that since Safi were my favourite women's team, but I also like Sanchis, and don't know what actually caused the rift).

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
HTC women are supposedly carrying on, but there will likely be a drop in finances that make some riders available, just like when Nürnberger Versicherung became Team Noris after the Skyter-Shipping pull out.

I note that Shara Gillow is one of the names mentioned - she looks like a really good talent. I have mixed feelings about the move. If GreenEdge are really going to push the women's side of things it's great because she's a good talent and the Australian women are really very good, meaning GreenEdge could really help the sport there. But on the other hand, she's been riding for Bizkaia-Durango this season, a Spanish team who have been ailing a little, and her stage win and day in pink at the Giro Donne was really just the fillip they needed, since that race was a bit of a disaster for them before it even started (the team were hoping to back Anna Sanchis for it, the Spanish climber who made the top 10 of the Giro back in 2008, but after her performances won her a contract with Safi-Pasta Zara, they acrimoniously split in 2009 and she sued the team for unpaid wages; as Pasta Zara were a major sponsor of the Giro, the organisers put pressure on them not to bring her, so they didn't. I don't know where I stand on that since Safi were my favourite women's team, but I also like Sanchis, and don't know what actually caused the rift).

This post started like any normal post but then by the end it sounded like a high school girl talking about her feelings. ;)

Tuarts said:
This post started like any normal post but then by the end it sounded like a high school girl talking about her feelings. ;)

Nobody understands me. Why doesn't that cute boy with the eyebrow piercing who sits across from me in history class return my gaze? Nobody can ever have felt like I do right now, sat wistfully looking up at my Morrissey poster :(

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Seriously, Libertine... Where do you even get that kind of information on women's cycling. Is this your full time job?

Libertine Seguros said:
Nobody understands me. Why doesn't that cute boy with the eyebrow piercing who sits across from me in history class return my gaze? Nobody can ever have felt like I do right now, sat wistfully looking up at my Morrissey poster :(

Lol, apparently not ;)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Green_&_Gold said:
Froome to GE.

Apparently Robbie Hunter's twiiter said something like SKY should have signed Froome but now he is going to greener pastures.

I think Froome will now stay with Sky. Obviously there are going to be a lot of changes at Sky with a couple of young climbers coming in and the arrival of some of the Cav train and seems there was uncertainty around exactly where Froome would fit in.

Think they have looked to him to challenge on GC for shorter races and he had not really delivered until now. Having said that they are also desperate for any British (even a kenyan brit) rider with the potential to challenge for a grand tour and as a result there is no way they can let him go now.

the links to other teams is inevitable as he is out of contract. think he will stay at sky but now it will cost them. it does show however that the line up for next year is far from confirmed

Froome (in this form) will be a perfect support rider for the Cav-Wiggins Tour team. He can play a big role in Cav's train and then ride for Wiggins in the mountains as well as in the TTT (if there is one). So I think he'll fit in pretty easily.

There are others who could also perform the dual role like Thomas, EBH, Rogers and Porte (if he signs).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

The quality of Australian womens cycling has gone down considerably. With riders like Carrigan, Oeneone Wood and bates all either retiring or dropping off the radar, the girls don't really have anyone who is doing to much on the big stage.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
****ing rubbish. Aussie women have been making plenty of in-roads of late, just because you don't hear about it...

How is it rubbish? Secondly, watch your language. No need to be like that. Our girls have not done that much in recent times especially in comparison to what they use to.

Oenone Wood
UCI Points list - 18th place
1st, Grand Prix Cavrie (Ita)
3rd, Fleche Wallonne (World Cup)
6th, Primavera Rosa (World Cup)
3rd overall and 1 stage win, Trophee d'Or (cat. 2)
4th overall, Giro della Toscana (cat. 1)
7th overall, Castilla y Leon Tour (cat. 1)

1st — UCI Women's Road World Cup
1st 2004 Road World Cup Rankings
1st Criterium Series Tour Down Under AUS
1st Australian Open Road Race Title VIC
1st Australian Open Road Time Trial Title VIC
1st Road World Cup Geelong AUS
1st Stage 1 Giro d'Italia Femminile ITA
1st Points Classification Giro d'Italia Femminile ITA
1st Overall Geelong Tour AUS
1st Stage 2 Geelong Tour AUS
1st Giro Frazioni ITA
1st Trofeo Citta di Rosignano ITA
1st Trofeo Museo Alfredo Binda ITA
1st Souvenir Magali Pache SUI
1st - UCI Women's Road World Cup Points Championship
1st, Points classification and Stages 1, 3a and 6, Tour de l'Aude Cycliste Féminin FRA
1st, Australia Australian Open Road Time Trial Titles SA
1st, Australia Australian Criterium Title VIC
1st, Bay Series Criteriums VIC
1st, Round 2
1st, Round 3
1st, Overall Geelong Tour AUS
1st, Sprint Classification
1st, Stage 2
1st, Stage 4

Nobody matches Oenone Wood. Same could be said for our other past cyclists in comparison to current riders. How many World Cup or other big races have we won or even got stages in? We are currently the 9th best nation, according to the CQ ranking. Around the mid to early 2000's we were one of the best women's cycling nations. Our best current cyclist would either be Gillow or Gilmore who are good riders but aren't really world class riders now. The worlds result in Australia proved how much we have gone down in Women's cycling.

The current results our cyclists get do not compare to what our cyclists use to get.

Yousay their results aren't really known but what have they really won? Please tell me.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I never mentioned individual performances. You mentioned women's cycling as a whole had gone down. In 2005 there were 9 Aussie women on pro teams, this year there's 19. There's 7 NRS teams well, were they around back then? And that means women's cycling is ****? Of course I'm going to call bull**** on that. There are plenty of highlights from Aussie women this season if you lower your "expectations". Gillow's victory and day in the pink at Giro Donne comes to mind, have a look at the CQ results from this season too, its littered with wins by Aussie cyclists. Not saying the picture is perfectly rosy or it doesn't need to improve, it does but saying things haven't improved is just plain crap.

Don't call me on my language either, it wasn't an insult directed at you, like you love to do when the shoe is on the other foot when people talk negatively about your man-crush. :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I never mentioned individual performances. You mentioned women's cycling as a whole had gone down. In 2005 there were 9 Aussie women on pro teams, this year there's 19. There's 7 NRS teams well, were they around back then? And that means women's cycling is ****? Of course I'm going to call bull**** on that. There are plenty of highlights from Aussie women this season if you lower your "expectations". Gillow's victory and day in the pink at Giro Donne comes to mind, have a look at the CQ results from this season too, its littered with wins by Aussie cyclists. Not saying the picture is perfectly rosy or it doesn't need to improve, it does but saying things haven't improved is just plain crap.

Don't call me on my language either, it wasn't an insult directed at you, like you love to do when the shoe is on the other foot when people talk negatively about your man-crush. :rolleyes:

Libertine said that Australian women are very good. I disagreed. The results do not justify that contention. There could be more women in the Pro Teams now back then but that doesn't change the fact that the girls are not as good as they use to be. It isn't littered with wins. I disagree with your point on that. Things haven't improved. The results are the ultimate measuring stick. The results aren't there like they use to. Gillow's day in pink at the Giro Donne was good, but there arent that many other big results. 6 or 7 years ago Aussies were dominating the women's scene with people like Gilmore, Bates, Carrigan, Wood, etc. It isn't like that any more. It isn't ****ing rubbish. It is fact. The results speak for themselves.

With the ronour that Goss might be signing with Sky I think GE will have a hard time getting into the WT unless they have some amazing trick up their sleeve that we haven't heard about. I guess the only thing that would save is that Cav goes to GE instead.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
With the ronour that Goss might be signing with Sky I think GE will have a hard time getting into the WT unless they have some amazing trick up their sleeve that we haven't heard about. I guess the only thing that would save is that Cav goes to GE instead.

From what I can work out, they have some decent WT points already. Gerrans-111
Langeveld-50
Bobridge-1
O'Grady-4
Weening-56
Clarke-14
Cooke-3
Wilson-1
Cameron Meyer-106
Vaitkus-2

They have 348 already with more riders to be announced.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:

Not sure about points but in missing out on Cadel (ok he was never an option), Goss and Porte think they are going to struggle to get a lot of none cycling fanatics excited

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:

The UCI - they want this for the Globalization of cycling

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
clipperton said:
what the hell did i miss? please tell me that the "goss not to greenedge" rumour is from the same copybook as the "cavendish not to sky" rumour?

nah. see 'tother thread. Sounds like Goss to the other Australian owned team; Sky.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
From what I can work out, they have some decent WT points already. Gerrans-111
Langeveld-50
Bobridge-1
O'Grady-4
Weening-56
Clarke-14
Cooke-3
Wilson-1
Cameron Meyer-106
Vaitkus-2

They have 348 already with more riders to be announced.

I don't think the WT points list is used like that. There is a different way of allocating points for licences as far as I can tell.
The CQ rankings list put out a couple of weeks ago had,

GOSS Matthew 175
MEYER Cameron 57
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel 33
ALBASINI Michael 32
LANGEVELD Sebastian 23
GERRANS Simon 20
WEENING Pieter 17
BOBRIDGE Jack 15
DAVIS Allan 14
SUTTON Christopher 13
HOWARD Leigh 10
LLOYD Matthew 9
DOCKER Mitchell 7
MOURIS Jens 7
SULZBERGER Wesley 5
CLARKE Simon 4
MEYER Travis 4
LANCASTER Brett 3
O'GRADY Stuart 1
COOKE Baden 1
HEPBURN Michael 1

Without Goss there are not that many points at all in the team although Gerrans has earnt more since the list came out, not sure about others.

Edit: Tuft not on the list has something like 26 points also.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:

Pinotti has some points, but probably not enough, not sure where he is going. Is Freire leaving Rabobank? He has points also as does Leiphiemer but I don't see any of these being highly likely to go to GE anyway.

TRENDING THREADS