• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

LukeSchmid said:
I don't think the WT points list is used like that. There is a different way of allocating points for licences as far as I can tell.

I dont think anyone knows how it works, the UCI, riders and teams included.

A

Anonymous

LukeSchmid said:
Pinotti has some points, but probably not enough, not sure where he is going. Is Freire leaving Rabobank? He has points also as does Leiphiemer but I don't see any of these being highly likely to go to GE anyway.

leipheimer has gone to quickstep.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
Pinotti has some points, but probably not enough, not sure where he is going. Is Freire leaving Rabobank? He has points also as does Leiphiemer but I don't see any of these being highly likely to go to GE anyway.

Pinotti said he would liked to have gone to GE but it didnt work out. I am still of the poinion the Goss will be going to Greenedge because of what Gerry Ryan said regarding them being placed from 10th to 12th on the points system. The roumers are very worrying though - I can't see them being WT without him or a rider of similar calibre, he is their single card that guarantees them wins. It seems too illogical for him to go to sky unless cav goes to GE. but that in itself also seems illogical.

I dont think anyone knows how it works, the UCI, riders and teams included.
So true! I've given up

Looking forward to some news tomorrow...

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Pinotti said he would liked to have gone to GE but it didnt work out. I am still of the poinion the Goss will be going to Greenedge because of what Gerry Ryan said regarding them being placed from 10th to 12th on the points system. The roumers are very worrying though - I can't see them being WT without him or a rider of similar calibre, he is their single card that guarantees them wins. It seems too illogical for him to go to sky unless cav goes to GE. but that in itself also seems illogical.

So true! I've given up

Looking forward to some news tomorrow...

Thanks for reminding me about Pinotti, memory failed me.

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
From what I can work out, they have some decent WT points already. Gerrans-111
Langeveld-50
Bobridge-1
O'Grady-4
Weening-56
Clarke-14
Cooke-3
Wilson-1
Cameron Meyer-106
Vaitkus-2

They have 348 already with more riders to be announced.

That's not how it works. The sporting value ranking doesn't take into account the actual WT points but instead you get a score for which place you finish in the WT and other rankings plus you also get certain bonus points for any win.

CQranking has a provisional list that you can see here: http://t.co/H1pzNjq
(This was before Eneco Tour I believe so the points have shifted slightly)

Gerrans is listed at 20 points in that ranking and Plouay moved him up so right now he is worth 40 points. Still, CQ lists them at 12th with a team that includes both Goss and Henderson and if neither of them join GE they would lose 199 points of that score (counting in the increase for Gerrans) which would move them down to around 23rd spot which is outside the top 20 that is needed to even be considered and well outside the top 15 that is needed to be sure.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
That's not how it works. The sporting value ranking doesn't take into account the actual WT points but instead you get a score for which place you finish in the WT and other rankings plus you also get certain bonus points for any win.

Gerrans is listed at 20 points in that ranking and Plouay moved him up so right now he is worth 40 points. Still, CQ lists them at 12th with a team that includes both Goss and Henderson and if neither of them join GE they would lose 199 points of that score (counting in the increase for Gerrans) which would move them down to around 23rd spot which is outside the top 20 that is needed to even be considered and well outside the top 15 that is needed to be sure.

They also gain 26 points from Tuft who isn't listed for GE on the CQ list. Roberts has 13 points if he joins and isn't listed either. But CQ has Sutton 13 and Lloyd 9 who I am not sure are going to join.

ingsve said:

Doesn't it list them as 17th with 390 points or am I looking at the wrong thing?

auscyclefan94 said:
Libertine said that Australian women are very good. I disagreed. The results do not justify that contention. There could be more women in the Pro Teams now back then but that doesn't change the fact that the girls are not as good as they use to be. It isn't littered with wins. I disagree with your point on that. Things haven't improved. The results are the ultimate measuring stick. The results aren't there like they use to. Gillow's day in pink at the Giro Donne was good, but there arent that many other big results. 6 or 7 years ago Aussies were dominating the women's scene with people like Gilmore, Bates, Carrigan, Wood, etc. It isn't like that any more. It isn't ****ing rubbish. It is fact. The results speak for themselves.

There are quite a lot of Aussie women out there that are very good. They don't match up to Oenoene Wood because she wasn't very good, she was BRILLIANT. But still, there are 4 Aussies in the top 50 of CQ's ranking, one of whom doesn't even have a pro team and another of whom only had one from mid-June onwards. There are others who aren't highly ranked but are still good, many of whom are young prospects - Tiffany Cromwell and Josephine Tomic at Lotto (& now Hitec for Cromwell) for example. Shara Gillow is 23, and has exploded onto the scene, and there are still a few quality riders with more experience like Corset and Gilmore around.

There is a very strong Australian presence in the péloton. Unlike in the days of Oenoene Wood, they may not be picking up massive wins, but they are putting together good results and reputation.

With the solid backing that a GreenEdge team could give them and some decent cohesion, maybe an outside star or two to tide them over until the youngsters are ready to take the mantle, they could well become a legitimate force in the péloton.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
With the solid backing that a GreenEdge team could give them and some decent cohesion, maybe an outside star or two to tide them over until the youngsters are ready to take the mantle, they could well become a legitimate force in the péloton.

Absolutely true. And add to that taking on more prominent roles in the team, GE women will show their worth in the Euro peloton. Some great talents coming through.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
diggercuz said:
Ah good to see Robbie not burnt from the Pegasus debacle... good to see him on board..

What about Beppu though, what type of rider is he??

HOORAY!! More Superstar Signings to what is quickly becoming retirementEDGE

close to the EDGE of becoming a World Tour team..

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
diggercuz said:
Ah good to see Robbie not burnt from the Pegasus debacle... good to see him on board..

What about Beppu though, what type of rider is he??

Hes a strong guy in the can ride cobbles and hills largely in the smaller races for GE. I really like him as a rider but he is not really a race winner more the type of rider who will work for the team and shoot for some breaks.

It seems GE are towing the UCI's 'globalisation' line a bit. Will probs ensure them a birth in the PT methinks :)

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:

Ummm...There are a number of very young riders on GE - more than most other pro teams! Stuey and Robbie are both good signings and their age is the main part of their attraction!

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Ummm...There are a number of very young riders on GE - more than most other pro teams! Stuey and Robbie are both good signings and their age is the main part of their attraction!

'At 39 years of age, McEwen may be now in the twilight of his riding career, but the experience and leadership he brings to the team is invaluable. According to GreenEdge, the Australian will only ride a selected early season program, before he will join the staff as one of the team's sporting directors.'

Stuey's not exactly a spring chicken anymore either.

Baden Cooke. Hmm.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Andy99 said:

Camon mate. There are plenty of young kids with alot of potential. O'Grady and McEwen have been stars and deserve to be part of GE. Besides Robbie is only going to do a few early races before becoming a director and O'Grady looks in Great form.

They will be a ProTour team at least on the one factor that the UCI would love a team from Australia, in there attempts to globalize cycling.

robbie :rolleyes:.. guess if they sign howard maybe he can show him the ways of a A grade spinter (ego) an (head butting)

Beppu was left of field not linked at all,maybe thy can score another not linked name

TRENDING THREADS