• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
daveinzambia said:
which may be another reason for him riding a limited early season programme. nice goodbye but also means they get his riding points which they would not if went straight to DS

Exactly. McEwen has the highest amount of points of any rider announced so far although that may change depending on where Gerrans finishes in the World Tour ranking. It must be an incredibly tense time for the teams who are borderline top 15 in the overall team ranking for a world tour spot. One signing or even one performance by an existing rider between now and the end of the season can make all the difference.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
daveinzambia said:
which may be another reason for him riding a limited early season programme. nice goodbye but also means they get his riding points which they would not if went straight to DS

A point certainly missed by some earlier posters deriding his selection.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
Exactly. McEwen has the highest amount of points of any rider announced so far although that may change depending on where Gerrans finishes in the World Tour ranking. It must be an incredibly tense time for the teams who are borderline top 15 in the overall team ranking for a world tour spot. One signing or even one performance by an existing rider between now and the end of the season can make all the difference.

100% correct. Also another reason why we need Goss.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
And another reason to dislike the UCI license process.

Agree totally, but not a reason to hate the team. There's probably a thread about the UCI process around here somewhere, but we're discussing GreenEdge.

Some around here are secretly hoping for another Pegasus debacle... I can't see it happening. Sure, some of the riders are closer to the end of their careers than the start, but McEwan, Cooke, Gerrans, O'Grady guarantee exposure in the Oz media, sponsors tend to like that. Cooke and Gerrans only have to have some luck to be up there in a spring classic or two next year. If they sign a Goss or Howard, then great, but even if they don't, I'd also guarantee that the team will evolve to a vastly different beast as these older riders retire and are replaced, younger riders mature (Bobridge, Meyers) and the team goals change, as dare I say it the Sky and Garmins of this world have changed their goals since inception.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Agree totally, but not a reason to hate the team. There's probably a thread about the UCI process around here somewhere, but we're discussing GreenEdge.

What makes you think I don't like Greenedge? While it is true I am a BMC fan I am really hoping GE is successful. It would be very good to see, however I am far from certain that they are going to get a PT license. My comment was about GE signing a rider so completely on topic.

Spider1964 said:
Some around here are secretly hoping for another Pegasus debacle... I can't see it happening. Sure, some of the riders are closer to the end of their careers than the start, but McEwan, Cooke, Gerrans, O'Grady guarantee exposure in the Oz media, sponsors tend to like that. Cooke and Gerrans only have to have some luck to be up there in a spring classic or two next year. If they sign a Goss or Howard, then great, but even if they don't, I'd also guarantee that the team will evolve to a vastly different beast as these older riders retire and are replaced, younger riders mature (Bobridge, Meyers) and the team goals change, as dare I say it the Sky and Garmins of this world have changed their goals since inception.

I hope Goss and Howard do sign, I though would like some more climbing talent. Weening seems to be the best climber and to me that is not enough. The top Pro Continental teams all have better climbing talent than GE seems like it going to have and a lot have more rounded squads.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
What makes you think I don't like Greenedge? While it is true I am a BMC fan I am really hoping GE is successful. It would be very good to see, however I am far from certain that they are going to get a PT license. My comment was about GE signing a rider so completely on topic.

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that you dislike Greenedge, that comment was directed at the earlier posters. I agreed with you... totally.

Watching from afar and not knowing team instructions it is hard to quantify the strengths of some our lesser known riders. Others will know better than me but Simon Clarke appeared to finish well in some hilly finishes. Will he go on to be a climber for GreenEdge or is he more in the mould of Gerrans?
And with the observation about Weening being the only climber of any merit, will GE be adding Lloyd?

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
clarke is in a simialr mould to gerrans. lloyd was hotly tipped to be joining ge, though the latest issue of ride magazine suggests that he's headed elsewhere, i recall hearing fdj mentioned somewhere on here.
i don't think it's worth ge throwing money at middling climbers. if one of the young australian riders manages to turn themselves into a genuine climber in the next 2 or 3 years (and ge still has a future) maybe at that point signing up more climbers would make sense. for now, best to just keep rolling the dice in sprints and classics.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
GE have tweeted they are going to announce later this morning an allrounder who can't be pigeon holed. OK who can guess with that cryptic clue?

Fuglsang?! There's a bird in there somewhere at least (and there is speculation of Leopard reducing/folding).

greenedge said:
I like Albasini, nice singning. I think he can only improve at GE too, he has spent too long with Cav.

Good signing yeah, i love how everyone seems to begrudge riders working for Cav and complaining it will stunt there growth but don't have a problem with riders working for other team leaders. He seem to have an eye for victory though and sniffing out breaks so that will certainly help with a bit more freedom.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Good signing yeah, i love how everyone seems to begrudge riders working for Cav and complaining it will stunt there growth but don't have a problem with riders working for other team leaders. He seem to have an eye for victory though and sniffing out breaks so that will certainly help with a bit more freedom.

I think it is more when GC guys are forced to work for cav and sacrfice thier own energy. In terms of albasini, that is bs. He isn't a GC hopeful, working for cav is necessary when in the same line up. Plus he still got some shots for himself.

Good signing I agree, big improvement from the switch, I doubt.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I like Albasini, nice singning. I think he can only improve at GE too, he has spent too long with Cav.

It's quotes like that, that make me hope Cav does indeed go the Greenedge.

Though obviously in reality I don't because Cav needs to be riding the bigger races.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:

Though obviously in reality I don't because Cav needs to be riding the bigger races.

If Cavendish went to GE, which he won't, then GE would be doing all the big races. I think he brings enough points to make that sure and even if he didn't they would get plenty of invites.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Andy99 said:

Cav signing with Greenedge = Greenedge world tour so rides whatever race he wants.

Greenedge will be world tour anyway so = riding world tour races ie biggest races.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
If Cavendish went to GE, which he won't, then GE would be doing all the big races. I think he brings enough points to make that sure and even if he didn't they would get plenty of invites.

Yeah, I know. 'twas a bit tongue in cheek ;)

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I think it is more when GC guys are forced to work for cav and sacrfice thier own energy. In terms of albasini, that is bs. He isn't a GC hopeful, working for cav is necessary when in the same line up. Plus he still got some shots for himself.

Good signing I agree, big improvement from the switch, I doubt.

Totally agree that there GC guy if in contention atleast shouldn't have to work for Cav but that certainly doesn't apply for Albasini or most of the old HTC team. I do think Albasini is probably Greenedges most impressive signing so far unless im missing someone. Surprised they never released this one directly after his victory the other day, seems likeit would have more effect and brought more attention.

TRENDING THREADS