• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
AussieGoddess said:
I would be much MUCH more excited about Greenedge if they were to sign Cancellara rather than Cav ..... seems like there might be a few more major players on the market very soon :D

If the Nygaard rumour is true, then he could have given them a heads up in advance of the impending merger. Most teams have probably settled on there 2012 rosters, including Green Edge, so some frantic reshuffling may have been done, and telling those who had all but signed a contract that they don't want them anymore.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
My bad. Langeveld has big growth potential so I would probably put him as their best signing so far, Gerrans and Albasini next.

Langeveld is certainly someone who could step up to be excellent, Simon Clarke might be one to do the same next year as well. Gerrans and Albasini are the best current riders they have signed while on record O'Grady and McEwen are the best two over their whole career.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
With HTC and all these possible mergers and unattached riders you would hope that GE have the sense to try and break away from their "plan" a bit and try to sign some of them. There are a lot of good names out there atm.

Ferminal said:
If the Nygaard rumour is true, then he could have given them a heads up in advance of the impending merger. Most teams have probably settled on there 2012 rosters, including Green Edge, so some frantic reshuffling may have been done, and telling those who had all but signed a contract that they don't want them anymore.

+1 well said

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
gerrans for the win said:
what are the names GE could get from leopard/radioshack??

they have already got three from them :cool:

Unfortunately, Livestrong press release suggests Jesse Sergent is moving across to the RNT team, he would have been good to pick up, though might have been tough given the Aussie track guys with very similar capabilities.

Maybe Stuey's texting Jens today. Though given the team looks basically like a GT super-squad, Fabian might be trying to hold onto at least one guy who rides cobbles.

The names looking at being released by Leopard don't appear to be demanding buys.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
I would be much MUCH more excited about Greenedge if they were to sign Cancellara rather than Cav ..... seems like there might be a few more major players on the market very soon :D

Cancellara has been confirmed as part of the Radioshack-Nissan-Trek team for next year. Fuglsang is someone who GE should be going after, there would also be some others from that merger who we should chase.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Green_&_Gold said:
Cancellara has been confirmed as part of the Radioshack-Nissan-Trek team for next year. Fuglsang is someone who GE should be going after, there would also be some others from that merger who we should chase.

Fugslang will be staying at Leopard according to the Livestrong link/release

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Finally Goss has signed, he is the lynchpin for xure and that should now kill any Cav rumours.

Yep the world is sane again. Goss to GreenEdge and Cav to Sky. to be annouced at TOB. but then again i am more often wrong that right. or so my wife says

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Great to see they did not find a way of mucking up this obvious move, it gives GE a leader in some 1 day races plus someone who can do well in sprints. He probably will not beat Cavendish and some of the other top sprinters very often if at all but should be able to top 5 regularly and win some sprints in smaller races. Perhaps some tougher finishes than Cavendish etc will compete as well. Possible 10 year rider if things go well.

"After winning Italy’s biggest one-day bike race, Milan San-Remo,..."

Isn't that a bit like saying Evans won the biggest stage race in France.

MSR deserves more respect than that...I'm beginning to think that these clowns at GE are severly lacking in cycling knowledge.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
How will they lose the TdU now?

Although I think it would be best if Goss kept his powder dry in January, as his huge January-March this year seems to have taken its toll.

Surely they will be trying to help Cameron Myer defend his win from this year. Suspect they may use some riders who will concentrate on the Olympics track races so will not be around as much mid season.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
More respect than "biggest"? I think that's as high as praise as you can get (and deservedly so). As for the wording, they're not going to launch into a essay on the importance and prestige of Monuments, its a press release aimed at Joe Public.

TRENDING THREADS