• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Why aren't riders signed to longer contracts?

I could understand once a rider hits 33-35 they may only be signed to one or two year contracts, but don't teams lose out because of these short contracts.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
briztoon said:

I could understand once a rider hits 33-35 they may only be signed to one or two year contracts, but don't teams lose out because of these short contracts.

I think it depends. some riders may not perform.
Some riders might get injured etc.

anyway some of the australians probably only would have signed for one season. Some who were involved in pegasus were a last minute thing so I suppose a 1 yr contract is perfectly normal.

--

IS durbridge actually expected to sign?

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Timmy I am doubtful about Durbridge because of what Ferminal posted below on the 30th of August. Would not surprise me either way.

Ferminal said:
Local rag is reporting that Durbridge hasn't signed for Green Edge and is considering a number of options :eek:

briztoon said:

It's the way things have been for a long while in cycling. Usually many teams don't have sponsor guarantees for more than a couple of years at a time so signing contracts longer than that also doesn't make much sense. Shorter contracts also gives the team more flexibility to recruit new riders.

I do not know what those "options" would be. No doubt many teams would be interested, but whether they can offer a package as enticing as the Edge...

Sky - They are looking full as it is.

Saxo - Possibly the most likely aside from GreenEdge, had plenty of Aussies over the years, McGee/Riis factor.

Garmin - Would be good for their TTT ambitions, especially now that Rasmussen is a no-go. But Garmin have heaps of inexperience coming in next year so carrying Durbridge in an Olympic year may not be the best for them.

Rabo - Probably full too, and have Wilco and Jetse.

BMC - Everyone is going to BMC so they would be an option. Evans, Phinney, Durbridge and Pinotti would be hard to beat.

RNT - Looking full

Liquigas - Maybe the dark horse.

I think the case for Green Edge is a lot more compelling, will be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I do not know what those "options" would be.

One of his options would be to spend another year maturing with the Jayco-AIS team. He's only 20y.o. so no hurry. Would allow him to maintain a light programme around track commitments without the pressure of suddenly trying to ride with the big boys. Then slots into GE as a stagiaire after the Olympics prior to joining full-time in 2013.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
One of his options would be to spend another year maturing with the Jayco-AIS team. He's only 20y.o. so no hurry. Would allow him to maintain a light programme around track commitments without the pressure of suddenly trying to ride with the big boys. Then slots into GE as a stagiaire after the Olympics prior to joining full-time in 2013.

Would be a mature decision I think.

Riders are seemingly getting snapped up at an earlier age in recent times, meaning teams are pressing (the risk of losing the future great too great to wait etc) for youngsters signatures at an early age.. not sure it is a great thing.

Sagan, Matthews etc pretty young to be jumping in the pro leagues, but whatever.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Pegasus Team Last Year (former team and new team):

Robbie McEwen ~ (Katusha -> Radioshack)
Serguy Klimov ~ (Katusha -> Elite-2)
Trent Lowe ~ (Garmin -> Retired)
Svein Tuft ~ (Garmin -> SpiderTech)
Robbie Hunter ~ (Garmin -> RadioShack)
Luke Roberts ~ (Milram -> SaxoBank)
Christian Knees ~ (Milram -> Sky)
Thomas Rohregger ~ (Milram -> Leopard)
Bobbie Traksel ~ (Vacansoleil -> Landbouwkrediet)
Jacek Morajko ~ (Mroz -> CCC-Polsat)
Darryl Impey ~ (RadioShack -> MTN, NetApp)
Clinton Avery ~ (RadioShack -> EFC Quick Step CT)
Rohan Dennis ~ (Jayco Skins -> Rabobank CT)
Bernie Sulzberger ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Jay Thomson ~ (Fly V -> Bissell)
Aaron Kemps ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Darren Lill ~ (Fly V -> Bonitas)
Phil Zajicek ~ (Fly V -> Suspended)
Jonathan Cantwell ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Jai Crawford ~ (Fly V -> GiantKenda)
Ben Day ~ (Fly V -> Kenda)
Dominque Cornu ~ (Skil-Shimano -> Topsport Vlaanderen)
Darren Lapthorne ~ (Rapha-Condor -> Drapac)

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:

This probably would be best. It might be hard to turn down an offer if there is one, or more, just in case there isn't another one, but I think he will not be wanting for a contract in 12 months time.

Tuarts said:
Pegasus Team Last Year (former team and new team):

Robbie McEwen ~ (Katusha -> Radioshack)
Serguy Klimov ~ (Katusha -> Elite-2)
Trent Lowe ~ (Garmin -> Retired)
Svein Tuft ~ (Garmin -> SpiderTech)
Robbie Hunter ~ (Garmin -> RadioShack)
Luke Roberts ~ (Milram -> SaxoBank)
Christian Knees ~ (Milram -> Sky)
Thomas Rohregger ~ (Milram -> Leopard)
Bobbie Traksel ~ (Vacansoleil -> Landbouwkrediet)
Jacek Morajko ~ (Mroz -> CCC-Polsat)
Darryl Impey ~ (RadioShack -> MTN, NetApp)
Clinton Avery ~ (RadioShack -> EFC Quick Step CT)
Rohan Dennis ~ (Jayco Skins -> Rabobank CT)
Bernie Sulzberger ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Jay Thomson ~ (Fly V -> Bissell)
Aaron Kemps ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Darren Lill ~ (Fly V -> Bonitas)
Phil Zajicek ~ (Fly V -> Suspended)
Jonathan Cantwell ~ (Fly V -> Fly V)
Jai Crawford ~ (Fly V -> GiantKenda)
Ben Day ~ (Fly V -> Kenda)
Dominque Cornu ~ (Skil-Shimano -> Topsport Vlaanderen)
Darren Lapthorne ~ (Rapha-Condor -> Drapac)

This really wasn't a great team. Shocked they were even in contention for world tour status. All do they are 2 dimensional Greenedge have a better team than this.

McEwen is, reportedly, hanging up the bike halfway thru the year to take up an advisory role. This SHOULD open up a vacancy on their books .... potentially for the likes of another Jayco rider (if they had not already signed as a neo).

Looking at the GE ranks, there may need to be some co-ordination with the Australian track team seeing as the likes of Bobridge, Howard, C.Meyer plus the "linked" Durbridge, Hepburn & perhaps Dennis.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Daniel Benson just tweeted that GreenEdge will be adding Julian Dean to the superteam. Can they get any stronger?!

Expected but very happy none the less. Not sure if you are having a go or not but i am very happy with the team. They will be strong for the one day races, they might even pull off a classic win or two. Now they will be lucky if anyone gets into the top 30 of a GT but what does that matter. I think that they could be a chance to pull of some stage wins at the GT or maybe even the Green Jersey @ TDF.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Green_&_Gold said:
Expected but very happy none the less. Not sure if you are having a go or not but i am very happy with the team. They will be strong for the one day races, they might even pull off a classic win or two. Now they will be lucky if anyone gets into the top 30 of a GT but what does that matter. I think that they could be a chance to pull of some stage wins at the GT or maybe even the Green Jersey @ TDF.

Of course it matters that GE is going to almost totally one demensional. With 28 riders a team should be able to have a balanced squad. FDJ for example have a well rounded squad yet they are not PT. GE should have signed more climbing talent. I wish GE well and hope they are successful but sadly they are going to be exposed hugely in mountains. This should not happen in a PT squad.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
Of course it matters that GE is going to almost totally one demensional. With 28 riders a team should be able to have a balanced squad. FDJ for example have a well rounded squad yet they are not PT. GE should have signed more climbing talent. I wish GE well and hope they are successful but sadly they are going to be exposed hugely in mountains. This should not happen in a PT squad.

I see your point but i think its a little bit more complicated than that. Tell me if you were in charge of GE what climber out there would you get to come to GE. A new team from a country who has never had a PT squad (the closest we have ever come was pegasus and we all know how that ended). The y probably dont have the funds of other teams. Im not having a go its a serious question. I would like to know?

Well, it makes sense that with all the sprinters and sprint train riders they have they also need multiple lead outs and Dean and Lancaster are two of the best in the business. Still makes me sad that we are sure to get a mirrored opposite to Euskaltel in the WT next year.

LukeSchmid said:

Hopefully they sniff out any crosswind opportunities and try to exploit them. At least that way they may be able to have an influence outside the final 500m.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Green_&_Gold said:
I see your point but i think its a little bit more complicated than that. Tell me if you were in charge of GE what climber out there would you get to come to GE. A new team from a country who has never had a PT squad (the closest we have ever come was pegasus and we all know how that ended). The y probably dont have the funds of other teams. Im not having a go its a serious question. I would like to know?

Peter Velits, Kanstantin Sivtsov, Nairo Quintana, Jose Rujano, Remi Di Gregorio, Thomas Rohregger (who might still be available), Linus Gerdemann, Kevin Seeldrayers, Francis De Greef, Morris Possoni, Lachlan Morton (might be too young), Lachlan Norris are all climbers of differing abilities. If they had wanted to have more climbers in the squad I am sure they could have signed more. The names I have mentioned would be worth looking at and enquiring about.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
Peter Velits, Kanstantin Sivtsov, Nairo Quintana, Jose Rujano, Remi Di Gregorio, Thomas Rohregger (who might still be available), Linus Gerdemann, Kevin Seeldrayers, Francis De Greef, Morris Possoni, Lachlan Morton (might be too young), Lachlan Norris are all climbers of differing abilities. If they had wanted to have more climbers in the squad I am sure they could have signed more. The names I have mentioned would be worth looking at and enquiring about.

Fair enough. I concede GE might have been a bit shortsighted but i am still happy with the squad. I have to admit a few of those riders would be good. I doubt GE would have got velits. Di Gregorio and Rohregger would be nice.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Hopefully they sniff out any crosswind opportunities and try to exploit them. At least that way they may be able to have an influence outside the final 500m.

Albasini and Gerrans have done well in smaller stage races, or non mountainous stage races and if they allow them to do that they might have some reasonable results.
Their cobbles team looks quite good with Langeveld, O'Grady, Cooke, Docker (if he as expected joins), Vaitkus and Keukeleire. All of them apart from O'Grady, who did not finish, were top 30 in Paris - Roubaix this year. Hayman as well but I am not he is joining. Roulston finished 10th at the 2010 Paris - Roubaix. Lacking a true leader though.

EDIT: Perhaps being a bit unfair on Langeveld he could be a good leader.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Green_&_Gold said:
Fair enough. I concede GE might have been a bit shortsighted but i am still happy with the squad. I have to admit a few of those riders would be good. I doubt GE would have got velits. Di Gregorio and Rohregger would be nice.

With there being 18 PT teams they probably deserve to be there but I think that is too many teams. 10, 12 or something like that would be better and no first year teams would be a better scenario.
If Rohregger is looking for a team and GE has spots and I think they do although ingsve's point is good, I hope they sign him. Perhaps on a 1 year deal.

TRENDING THREADS