• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
sorry, I cant believe I called him romain, who is one of my favorite riders (and I find to be -unlike his brother- very underrated).

:eek:

force of habbit I suppose

That's because ever since the 2009 Tour Romain's been the only one that's merited mentioning for their on-bike exploits.

Though to be fair to Brice, he might have had a chance to go foraging in the Giro mountains this year and try to get a stage from a break on a stage like Tirano, but that didn't materialise for obvious reasons.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
as per the transfer roumers forum Canadian cyclist website linking Christian Meier to GE. I like that signing is a good one week stage racer and solid climber. Sertainly no leader but fits into the domestique role well. Not that useful without a leader though...

I'm have my fingers crossed for a Dave Tanner announcement but im not holding my breath but i do I expect Dean, Durbridge, Hepburn and Roberts to be announced within the next couple of weeks.

Sydney21 said:
well what do you expect him to do if he didn't deny it everyone on these forums and in the press would have pencilled it in as a done deal and then criticised it as the worst kept deal in cycling when it was released. Give the guy a break! He was just trying to do what was best by Brian and Leopard at the time.

a) His name is Brice
b) If nothing else he atleast looks like a climber :D

He does look like a climber maybe he could of tricked ppl Into letting him win a couple of mountain stages by thinking he's an excellent climber.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I'd be ecstatic if Romain Feillu joined GreenEdge, perfect rider to take lessons form Robbie McEwan on how to be the craftiest sprinter in the bunch.

Anyone notice he finished sixth at the World's? A little more chaos in the finale and he may have been able to pull of the upset of the decade.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Team GreenEdge meet

Team GreenEdge met this week following the World Championships at its European headquarters in Gavirate, Italy.

"The riders," explained sports director, Matt White, "will be fitted for their jerseys and bikes."

The Australian team officially numbers 24 riders thanks to recent additions Jens Keukeleire (from Cofidis), Leigh Howard (HTC-Highroad), Wesley Sulzberger (FDJ), Allan Davis (Astana), Brett Lancaster (Garmin-Cervélo) and Mitchell Docker (Skil-Shimano).

GreenEdge announced yesterday that Leopard-Trek's former general manager, Brian Nygaard will join as Communications Director.

"I'm thrilled," Nygaard said in a press release, "to be a part of GreenEdge."

He served as a press officer for Saxo Bank/CSC and Sky prior to Leopard. He and Leopard ended their contract agreement immediately after the team's owner, Flavio Becca announced on September 5 his team would be merging team RadioShack for next year.

cyclingweekly

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Does Shayne Bannan and co at greenedge have **** for brains? Why the hell would you go out and get 10 sprinters to a team? Would be nice if you got a guy who can ride uphill. In races like Paris Nice, tour de suisse and many other stage races, if you don't have a guy that can climb you're team will look 2nd rate.

auscyclefan94 said:
Does Shayne Bannan and co at greenedge have **** for brains? Why the hell would you go out and get 10 sprinters to a team? Would be nice if you got a guy who can ride uphill. In races like Paris Nice, tour de suisse and many other stage races, if you don't have a guy that can climb you're team will look 2nd rate.
Don't you worry, Pieter Weening will take care of the climbing.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Their strategy is clear: the Australians are doing the best they can to make sure they come 2nd to Cavendish at every opportunity. The Worlds was just the beginning...

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Quite obviously GE are recruiting riders for Goss to have a 8 man leadout train at the Tour. They are also recruiting a back up rider for each position in the lead out train. The don't even need riders to pull back breaks afterall Sky will do that for Cavendish, then the GE train will sweep down the side of the peleton with about 6km to go and provide Goss with a magnificant leadout. Unfortunately for GE there is a fatal flaw to their plan, Cavendish will grab Goss's wheel and come off it with 200m to go and win all the sprint stages.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ALBASINI Michael - allrounder
BEPPU Fumiyuki < ????
BOBRIDGE Jack < time trialler
CLARKE Simon < hilly classics rider
COOKE Baden < sprinter/domestique
DAVIS Allan < sprinter
DEAN Julian < sprinter
DOCKER Mitchell < sprinter/classics rider
GERRANS Simon < hilly classics rider
GOSS Matthew < sprinter
HEPBURN Michael < sprinter/time trialler
HOWARD Leigh < sprinter
KEUKELEIRE Jens < classics rider
KRUOPIS Aidis < sprinter
LANCASTER Brett < domestique/leadout man
LANGEVELD Sebastian < classics rider
MCEWEN Robbie < sprinter
MEYER Cameron < domestique
MEYER Travis < domestique
MOURIS Jens < domestique
O'GRADY Stuart < classics rider
SULZBERGER Wesley < classics rider
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel < ???
TUFT Svein < time trialler/domestique
VAITKUS Tomas < classics rider
WEENING Pieter < 'climber'
WILSON Matthew < domestique

LukeSchmid said:
Quite obviously GE are recruiting riders for Goss to have a 8 man leadout train at the Tour. They are also recruiting a back up rider for each position in the lead out train. The don't even need riders to pull back breaks afterall Sky will do that for Cavendish, then the GE train will sweep down the side of the peleton with about 6km to go and provide Goss with a magnificant leadout. Unfortunately for GE there is a fatal flaw to their plan, Cavendish will grab Goss's wheel and come off it with 200m to go and win all the sprint stages.

Well SKY or whoever had Cav won't do as much pulling as HTC used to and this is mainly because of Greenedge. If Greenedge are to have any success at grand tours etc they need as sprint. Which leaves them in a position were they atleast have to help bring back the break. Which is another reason they shouldnt of signed a team full of sprinters?

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think Matt Lloyd might sign next year when Robbie retires giving GE their climber. They don't waste a roster spot this year with Lloyd having no points (does he have any?)

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
RecCycling said:
I think Matt Lloyd might sign next year when Robbie retires giving GE their climber. They don't waste a roster spot this year with Lloyd having no points (does he have any?)

The old CQ ranking values has Lloyd with 9 points. KOM and stage win 2010 Giro I guess.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Well SKY or whoever had Cav won't do as much pulling as HTC used to and this is mainly because of Greenedge. If Greenedge are to have any success at grand tours etc they need as sprint. Which leaves them in a position were they atleast have to help bring back the break. Which is another reason they shouldnt of signed a team full of sprinters?

You are right of course, my post was deliberately over the top, they will have to help chase. Albasini and O'Grady will probably be a big part of that at the Tour.

Midnightfright said:
Well in fairness they did sign a few time trialists as well. Although I'm a bit surprised that Turbo Durbo, the biggest TT talent of them all, isn't on the list yet?

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Would this be a fair breakdown of the riders?

This way it doesn't look so bad. They have 8 riders who can all contribute in classics and cobbles races (admittedly not for victories but maybe top5's - anyway how can you realistically aim for victories in these races with Canc and Gilbert in peak condition). Then you have solid support for leader sprinters with 1 leadout and any number of flat-doms. In a 1 week stage race, you would have a guy to try podium each TT, a guy for the 3-4 sprints, a guy for the 0-1 successful breakaways or a guy for the top 10 GC.

Sprinters:
DAVIS Allan < sprinter
GOSS Matthew < sprinter
HOWARD Leigh < sprinter

Leadouts:
DEAN Julian < sprinter
LANCASTER Brett < domestique/leadout man
KRUOPIS Aidis < sprinter

TT/high-road-peloton/flat-stage-domestiques:
MCEWEN Robbie < sprinter
MOURIS Jens < domestique
TUFT Svein < time trialler/domestique

Cobbles team:
GOSS Matthew < sprinter
KEUKELEIRE Jens < classics rider

Breakaways/Classics team:
ALBASINI Michael - allrounder
GERRANS Simon < hilly classics rider
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel < ???
WEENING Pieter < 'climber'

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
My take on the squad so far based on ACFs

ALBASINI Michael < break chaser
BEPPU Fumiyuki < Not even sure he has signed, a bit of an odd one.
COOKE Baden < cobbles domestique/ break chaser
DAVIS Allan < sprinter
DEAN Julian < Goss's final lead out man
GERRANS Simon < hilly classics rider / stage hunter
GOSS Matthew < sprinter
HEPBURN Michael < sprinter/time trialler
HOWARD Leigh < sprinter / lead out train
KEUKELEIRE Jens < classics rider/ sprinter
KRUOPIS Aidis < sprinter
LANCASTER Brett < leadout man
MCEWEN Robbie < sprinter
MEYER Cameron < time trialler
MOURIS Jens < domestique
O'GRADY Stuart < classics rider / break chaser
SULZBERGER Wesley < classics rider / break chaser
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel < Mostly likely hilly classics rider but may be a climber in a few years, might also be a decent TTer
TUFT Svein < time trialler/break chaser
VAITKUS Tomas < classics rider/ lead out train/ sprinter
WEENING Pieter < token 'climber' / stage hunter

It would be interesting to calculate the average weight of GE and compare it with other teams. My guess is that they would be considerable higher than most other teams. Too bad not all teams have that type of info on their riders and it's also not always reliable.

LukeSchmid said:
You are right of course, my post was deliberately over the top, they will have to help chase. Albasini and O'Grady will probably be a big part of that at the Tour.

If Cavs team really held there nerve they could force Greenedge to do most of the so its a gd job they signed a few big engines to pull the peloton along.

TRENDING THREADS