• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who I missing?

1. Albasini
2. Beppu
3. Bobridge,
4. Clarke
5. Cooke
6. Davis
7. Dean
8. Docker
9. Gerrans
10. Goss
11. Howard
12. Impey
13. Keukeleire
14. Lancaster
15. Langeveld
16. McEwen
17. Meier
18. Meyer, C
19. Meyer, T
20. Mouris
21. O’Grady
22. SULZBERGER
23. Teklehaimanot
24. Tuft
25. Vaitkus
26. Weening
27. Wilson

swuzzlebubble said:
Who I missing?

1. Albasini
2. Beppu
3. Bobridge,
4. Clarke
5. Cooke
6. Davis
7. Dean
8. Docker
9. Gerrans
10. Goss
11. Howard
12. Impey
13. Keukeleire
14. Lancaster
15. Langeveld
16. McEwen
17. Meier
18. Meyer, C
19. Meyer, T
20. Mouris
21. O’Grady
22. SULZBERGER
23. Teklehaimanot
24. Tuft
25. Vaitkus
26. Weening
27. Wilson

A decent climber:eek:

swuzzlebubble said:
Who I missing?

1. Albasini
2. Beppu
3. Bobridge,
4. Clarke
5. Cooke
6. Davis
7. Dean
8. Docker
9. Gerrans
10. Goss
11. Howard
12. Impey
13. Keukeleire
14. Lancaster
15. Langeveld
16. McEwen
17. Meier
18. Meyer, C
19. Meyer, T
20. Mouris
21. O’Grady
22. SULZBERGER
23. Teklehaimanot
24. Tuft
25. Vaitkus
26. Weening
27. Wilson

Only 27 have been officially announced but Kroupis has confirmed he'll be with GreenEdge next year.

Was there anyone you were keen on signing who you weren’t able to secure a contract with?

Yes, there was one person in particular who would have been great to have on the team for his experience, but unfortunately we were competing against the team he was already in, which was a pretty good one. It was a little disappointing not to have been able to get him. Really only that person.

Can you say who it was?

Nah, I can’t really say.

So assuming this person was an Aussie and was out of contract then I can only really think of Matt Hayman who fits the bill.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
So assuming this person was an Aussie and was out of contract then I can only really think of Matt Hayman who fits the bill.
Or Sutton/Rogers. :D

What about the other Aussies like Tanner, Roberts, Brown, Hansen, Clarke, Roe etc etc

Looks like the only signings GE can do now are neos. A case of whether one or both of Hepburn/Durbridge sign. Will never happen but imagine them getting Morton. :faint:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Pretty risky to go in with a mediocre squad then - they only have three years to find a sponsor, and not winning a lot will not help them.

They should win plenty with that line up...quality might be questionable though. On the up side doesn't look like an expensive team.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Pretty risky to go in with a mediocre squad then - they only have three years to find a sponsor, and not winning a lot will not help them.

That what I was thinking but a bit of pressure might help the middle 70 % step up- ie riders out of contract seem to find that like extra

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
swuzzlebubble said:
Who I missing?

1. Albasini
2. Beppu
3. Bobridge,
4. Clarke
5. Cooke
6. Davis
7. Dean
8. Docker
9. Gerrans
10. Goss
11. Howard
12. Impey
13. Keukeleire
14. Lancaster
15. Langeveld
16. McEwen
17. Meier
18. Meyer, C
19. Meyer, T
20. Mouris
21. O’Grady
22. SULZBERGER
23. Teklehaimanot
24. Tuft
25. Vaitkus
26. Weening
27. Wilson

I really can't help it. Terrible team. Thank God they still have Sulzberger entirely written in uppercase, that makes up for the lack of depth in their ranks.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:

It was always going to be unlikely. They consistently said in interviews that GreenEdge would be in the title, regardless of a sponsor.

Ferminal said:

Yet they will win and likely a lot. A chance for 2-3 GT stages, multiple victories in WT stages and a lot of 2.1 wins, all on the same type of parcours. I will be very surprised if this team, on the CQ Rankings Calendar listing, get less than 20 wins. That is a lot of exposure and ammo for media/sponsor manipulation.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Only 27 have been officially announced but Kroupis has confirmed he'll be with GreenEdge next year.

So im confused the CN article said that Tekle counted as a neo but i thought we established earlier that he didn't...

If he isn't and the Kroupis signing is legit then im devestated Lloyd isn't part of it I think he's was wat the team really needed. Interesting to see the Cycling Tips article where Bannan claims to not know for sure the size of the team despite the fact that the team was full had previously been reported.

Meier and Impey are both good riders and I feel would be good domestiques but unlikely to compete for GC in many of the stage races in their own right with much success.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
I really can't help it. Terrible team. Thank God they still have Sulzberger entirely written in uppercase, that makes up for the lack of depth in their ranks.

Yeah, it's absolutely shocking. I think the squad is too big for a pro-conti team now too, so they have obviously been doing plenty of brown-nosing with Pat to assure the WT spot ;)

JRanton said:

Ya, definately Hayman. Especially considering the comment about being experienced etc. Rogers is contracted so he wouldn't be on their radar and he doesn't fit their stupid philosophy anyway. Sutton is the other rider that fits their tactic but they wouldn't be calling him experienced like that I think.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
yeh it appears Albasini has serious hills cred, probably the best rider there.
Tour de Suisse success only happens to great climbers Samuel Sanchez, Landis etc. and being a past Phonak member helps !
Would not put Meyer twins in the same cat. Bunyingyong and Gorge Rd
are no Galibier- would have to climb each one 10 times to get a decent ascent rating !

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:

but aussies love an underdog. the victories taste sweeter.
cant wait to see this team give it to the others.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
no_slipstream said:
yeh it appears Albasini has serious hills cred, probably the best rider there.
Tour de Suisse success only happens to great climbers Samuel Sanchez, Landis etc. and being a past Phonak member helps !
Would not put Meyer twins in the same cat. Bunyingyong and Gorge Rd
are no Galibier- would have to climb each one 10 times to get a decent ascent rating !
What about 16 times?

"I think the expectations are that we'll be competitive and get the colours of the jersey to the front for large percentages of the time."

By pulling back breaks on the front of the peleton no doubt. GreenEdge in the Tour is the best thing that could have happened for Sky, Cav and Wiggins. It'll be like having 16 domestiques as opposed to seven.

TRENDING THREADS