• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Can anyone reveal a link which shows GE and Lloyd were actually in discussion? I don't think they were and iirc he had 2 other teams interested.

I don't think there were any 'informed' links. It was all speculation from locals just assuming an Australian would end up on an Australian team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
Whatever the real reason for Matty Lloyd's sacking, it seems to have circulated around the top teams enough to discourage anyone from hiring him.

Unless Cadel specifically wanted him at BMC as a climbing domestique (and, frankly, you'd think he'd have been signed by now if that was an option) it'll probably be a second or third-tier team who picks him up.

Well BMC only have 26 riders on their roster for next year. It is possible that they may very well have signed Lloyd. Good to see the old Lotto gang getting back together (the riders I liked from lotto).

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Right people, now we have the confirmed full roster, lets spend the next 5 pages discussing who will be in their TDU squad oh and to add some extra "flavour" to the discussion, lets ponder the Bay Cycling Classic squad aw well.

Go.

Imo the final roster seems rather weak to me. They got Goss who is a big winner, but besides that they really lack winners.

Not sure if that's bad since Vacansoleil lacks big winners as well, but I really enjoy them. They compensate it with very aggresive riding. I hope Greenedge will as well.

Tuarts said:
Right people, now we have the confirmed full roster, lets spend the next 5 pages discussing who will be in their TDU squad oh and to add some extra "flavour" to the discussion, lets ponder the Bay Cycling Classic squad aw well.

Go.

Who knows!

Gerrans would be a good shot for the TdU overall, but maybe starting later and in Europe will serve him better. Goss can also still win the overall, I think, but it may be wise keeping him out of the Australian summer too, given his relative failure of a season after March.

I'd go:

McEwen
Davis
C. Meyer
Bobridge
O'Grady
Lancaster
Dean
Cooke

Pretty much impossible for them to win anything, but they have said from the start that they want to win classics, so keep your key classics players out of a race in January. Davis could discover some form of old and win the race. McEwen could get a couple of podiums. Meyer and Bobridge may be able to do something, given that it's the peak of their road season. I think they will take Goss though, so swap him with Davis and that is my best guess of who they will take.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Super happy to see Luke and Michael confirmed for Green Edge for the next 2 years.

Not so happy to see the following though.

'Durbridge and Hepburn won't officially join GreenEdge until 1 February 2012'

This has nothing to do with training or Track preparation, it is all about the Tour Down Under. By not 'officially joining GreenEdge until February 2012' Cycling Australia and GreenEdge are circumventing the Pro Tour regulations allowing both to ride Australian Nationals as U23 and enabling both now to ride for the composite Australian Team at the Tour Down Under.

With so many Australian Riders in GreenEdge what do they do when they can only field 7 riders at the Tour Down Under? Solution, not to ‘officially’ sign riders until it is over. Both Luke and Michael stay with the AIS which makes them eligible for the composite Australian Team.

A bit underhanded I think.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Dundee said:
Super happy to see Luke and Michael confirmed for Green Edge for the next 2 years.

This has nothing to do with training or Track preparation, it is all about the Tour Down Under. By not 'officially joining GreenEdge until February 2012' Cycling Australia and GreenEdge are circumventing the Pro Tour regulations allowing both to ride Australian Nationals as U23 and enabling both now to ride for the composite Australian Team at the Tour Down Under.

With so many Australian Riders in GreenEdge what do they do when they can only field 7 riders at the Tour Down Under? Solution, not to ‘officially’ sign riders until it is over. Both Luke and Michael stay with the AIS which makes them eligible for the composite Australian Team.

Had not thought of that - smart really .

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Dundee said:

I agree it is a bit underhanded but it also sent my mind off on another wild trip. With McEwen only riding until the end of May they can replace him for the rest of the year. I wonder whether they might be planning on putting Lloyd on as his replacement. If he can, he could do the TDU on the composite team plus the Aussie Champs. Perhaps a couple of races with a local continental team to keep in shape between February and May. Then when McEwen finishes he does a warm up race or two and then the Tour and perhaps the Vuelta as well.

I would like to see Teklehaimanot do the TDU but I think it is highly unlikely.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dundee said:

Basically manipulating the signing system for their own benefit. Seems a little 'snakey' to me.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Who knows!

Gerrans would be a good shot for the TdU overall, but maybe starting later and in Europe will serve him better. Goss can also still win the overall, I think, but it may be wise keeping him out of the Australian summer too, given his relative failure of a season after March.

I'd go:

McEwen
Davis
C. Meyer
Bobridge
O'Grady
Lancaster
Dean
Cooke

Pretty much impossible for them to win anything, but they have said from the start that they want to win classics, so keep your key classics players out of a race in January. Davis could discover some form of old and win the race. McEwen could get a couple of podiums. Meyer and Bobridge may be able to do something, given that it's the peak of their road season. I think they will take Goss though, so swap him with Davis and that is my best guess of who they will take.

While they want to win Classics think they will really want to win TDU and is one race they are suited to win. think they will send as strong an Australian team as they can, and think that means Goss and Gerrans will definitely ride

Dundee said:

That's ridiculous. A very cheap way to get WorldTour points (and it undermines the purpose of having a national team in a WT race).

-1 on the likeability scale for GreenEdge.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
gilbertador said:
More to the point, arguably their best climber is O Grady!
What a joke of a team, Weening may be better but that is truly embarrassing for a pt team

GE climbing v´s EE One day classics.

Same same but polar opposites it is what it is

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Goss would want to repeat MSR so I doubt he would change his programme. Unless he is going to give the cobbles a shot?

McEwen and Davis for TdU leadership. An all-Aussie team. O'Grady and Cooke's last TdU's.

just some guy said:
GE climbing v´s EE One day classics.

Same same but polar opposites it is what it is

True. I really love Euskaltel, but imo they should be pro-conti as well since they are rubbish in the cobbled-classics.
Cobbled cassics are just 1,5Months and only 1 day races compared to 3 GT's of 3 weeks. So I'd rather have a WT team that lacks in the cobbled classics compared to a team that lacks in GT's.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
True. I really love Euskaltel, but imo they should be pro-conti as well since they are rubbish in the cobbled-classics.
Cobbled cassics are just 1,5Months and only 1 day races compared to 3 GT's of 3 weeks. So I'd rather have a WT team that lacks in the cobbled classics compared to a team that lacks in GT's.

cobbled races are but a minor factor in cycling. teams without serious climbers and or gt riders should be left out

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:

I agree to a point and I am also fan of EE

How many high mountain days in GT and Stage races are there these days.

15 - 18 maybe

So EE > GE easy right ?

Medium Mountain and MM break away days

EE = GE

Hilly one day classics

EE just > GE if Sammy rides if not GE just > EE

Cobbled classics

GE > EE Easy

Sprint stages

GE > EE Easy

ITT

GE > EE

TTT

GE > EE

Stage race GC

Including P-N, T-A, Volta a Catalunya Enico etc

EE just > GE lots of non climbing ITT stage races usually

GT GC

EE > GE easy

But if you look at it this way GE arn´t as bad as people make out, you could do the same with another 5 teams and GE would come out ok.

But if they don´t deserve a WT spot which team is more rounded, will collect more points and therefore be more of a WT team ?

I am saying this as a point of discussion to make a point

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:

What counts as lacking in GTs? How would you rate HTC's tour for example? They never placed a rider inside the top 20 on a MTF. This team can go to any of the GTs and stage hunt and really should be disappointed if they don't come away with one win per GT. (No pressure).

This team won't ever place someone top 20 on a MTF, but there are 15 other stages they could win in every GT.

HTC had a "genuine" contender at the Giro. Velits has a podium up his sleeve but underperformed in 2011. GE don't have any GT contenders close to the calibre of Siutsou/P. Velits. Nor are they going to win a dozen GT stages in 2012. Goss might get 3-4, but any other stage wins will be more or less down to chance. Quickstep is probably a better comparison.

HTC also had a strong lineup for the big one week races with Pinotti, Van Garderen and Martin.

TRENDING THREADS