• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
They're not skinsuits, they are speed suits.

And you are right, a ban would be an appropriate deterrent. It's time road racers realised that they are and made an effort to look the part instead of looking like *** heads.

Ya - speedsuits or 'onesies', I think a couple manufacturers are making them now. Svein Tuft swears by them and uses them all the time. They look like a skinsuit. But the back is made of normal jersey fabric and they have two small rear pockets - like a speed jersey. In front they have a zipper so you can pull out your unit and wee.

Here's a picture of Tuft wearing one at the tour de l'ain

Another interesting thing about these suits is... that the UCI will actually ban them. Or so they said at meetings in November. They damage the 'identity' of cycling. Something about making it look too different from the 60's/70's.

We'll see if they actually enforce that rule.

shouldawouldacoulda said:
Another interesting thing about these suits is... that the UCI will actually ban them. Or so they said at meetings in November. They damage the 'identity' of cycling. Something about making it look too different from the 60's/70's.

And what's next? Having the riders put their bidons in cages on the handlebars? :rolleyes:
I very much agree that speedsuits don't look right. But to me, that's mostly because their design differs from the normal team jersey. If they had the same design (which should be possible with today's printing techniques), let the riders wear them if they want as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What a **** poor presentation.
Looks like Gerry Ryan stopped by Target on the way in to CBD, picked up 30 polo shirts, didn't even iron them, and told the boys to hang out in the city for a while.

I know the Aussie culture is laid back, but man, they look like they're waiting for the bus to take them to a Sunday session.

A

Anonymous

The edge of "Medicine".. seriously, what idiot thought that was a good idea?
_dsc0286_600.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
The edge of "Medicine".. seriously, what idiot thought that was a good idea?
_dsc0286_600.jpg

Oh dear. They really are just past the EDGE of being a laughing stock.

Maybe the UCI would have been better off just giving Pegasus the token Aussie licence last year..?

A

Anonymous

Andy99 said:
Oh dear. They really are just past the EDGE of being a laughing stock.

Maybe the UCI would have been better off just giving Pegasus the token Aussie licence last year..?

im really struggling to comprehend how in the middle of a brainstorming session someone came up with medicine and everyone agreed.

The edge of medicine.. what does it even mean...

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
BM1979 said:
It seems pretty obvious to me its relating to the catchphrase "Cutting Edge".

After watching this, it makes sense Brits dont understand much

http://www.247comedy.com/blog/the-dumbest-game-show-contestants-ever-fail-12-11-2011/?ig=t

I think you're not getting what Dim isn't getting.

Dim isn't failing to understand because he doesn't understand the concept of something being "the edge of...". He doesn't understand why a cycling team would select a slogan which implies that they are at the cutting edge of medicine, which draws immediate links to doping. Dim can't see how that was suggested by somebody who has links to a cycling team, and everybody agreed it was a good idea, not one person thought "hang on, doesn't this imply..."

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I think you're not getting what Dim isn't getting.

Dim isn't failing to understand because he doesn't understand the concept of something being "the edge of...". He doesn't understand why a cycling team would select a slogan which implies that they are at the cutting edge of medicine, which draws immediate links to doping. Dim can't see how that was suggested by somebody who has links to a cycling team, and everybody agreed it was a good idea, not one person thought "hang on, doesn't this imply..."

I understand that but sports medicine is such a big thing in all sports it's stupid to link it to doping.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
A

Anonymous

Andy99 said:
It's the 'medicine' part that is being questioned :confused: not what bl0ody edge means.

I'm sure the intentions are entirely innocent, but linking medicine with cycling is really pretty naiive isn't it??

exactly.. i understand the whole edge thing.. its a bit naff, but hey, sky have marginal gains and the thin blue line so why not..

im not suggesting anything sinister about the medicine thing whatsoever, purely that its a bit daft.. claiming to be at the cutting edge of medicine is daft, do greenedge manfacture cancer saving drugs or something, and considering cyclings reputation, its just a silly word to be using.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
When I saw a that poster a while ago I thought it was a bad idea. Not a good look.

exactly, nothing sinister. its just a word that serves no purpose on their advertising, except to make people wonder what drugs Nygaard is on to let that one through.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Could be everyone already knew this but saw something interesting on Cycling Central web site. Basically saying the Gerry Ryan three year commitment to GreenEdge includes 2011 so funding is only secured for one more season beyond next year.

not a massively secure team, given the difficulty they appear to have finding a sponsor. have to say was equally surprised by the fact that the Tan man had something interesting to say about cycling.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/anthony-tan/blog/125351/the-sponsorship-conundrum

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aside from the abundance of Australians, I find it funny that the second highest nationality is Dutch (3 riders). I wonder why they went for such random riders like Weening and Mouris as well. Langeveld I can follow why, but the other two?

Mouris fits the mold, time trialist, that sprinters can hide behind. Weening... decent rider for breaks in mountain stages, no? (best I could come up with)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Tan's cycling knowedge is the equivalent of what a walnut might know.

I know, but guess if you allow a walnut to type enough articles it may accidentally write something interesting.

i did not read the rest of his article as the man still has not learnt how to write in an engaging manner (he actually writes the way he speaks, and as i read the articles i can hear his annoying voice reading it out) but found the 3 year thing interesting.

TRENDING THREADS