• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
He might be a "walnut" but at least he gets free trips to cycling events throughout the year - that's a pretty sweet deal I think!

I also dig the electric blue jacket he pimps on Cycling Central.

Speaking of Cycling Central - that Sophie Smith's a bit of alright I think!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aside from the abundance of Australians, I find it funny that the second highest nationality is Dutch (3 riders). I wonder why they went for such random riders like Weening and Mouris as well. Langeveld I can follow why, but the other two?
Well I think Weening personally looked to go to GreenEdge because he was sick of Rabobank. I think it was a similar reason for Mouris as well. A lot of the GreenEdge team is made up of rejects from other teams.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
No doubt a fitting addition to your already stellar list of thread creations.

Fair call. I have made some pretty average threads before.:eek:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Weening and rabo split was indeed bound to happen. I was shocked he continued to ride for them in 2011 (considering his contract was up). But I guess there was no interest. To be fair, he had a pretty good giro.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Marcuccio said:
He might be a "walnut" but at least he gets free trips to cycling events throughout the year - that's a pretty sweet deal I think!

I also dig the electric blue jacket he pimps on Cycling Central.

Speaking of Cycling Central - that Sophie Smith's a bit of alright I think!

Cannot decide if he is the best they can get or they are trying to grow him into a cult figure. you know the cycling commentator equivalent to a John Waters film

When i first saw him on TV thought they had pulled one of the IT guys in at short notice and would never see him again. Should have known better.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
daveinzambia said:
Cannot decide if he is the best they can get or they are trying to grow him into a cult figure. you know the cycling commentator equivalent to a John Waters film

When i first saw him on TV thought they had pulled one of the IT guys in at short notice and would never see him again. Should have known better.

well considering tomo I'd say he is probably here to stay :|

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I envy his job that's for sure but his interviewing 'style' is horrendous. He has his questions written down and just rattles them off without responding to anything the interviewee may have said.

You can tell he is just thinking about getting the next question out, it's written all over his face, while barely listening to the rider.

Though as a cult figure he works. Love the middle finger salute while holding the mic he does on tele though, classic.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gree...dge-looking-for-winning-start/277268685658334

Riders doing the Jayco Bay Crits:

GreenEDGE

Mitch Docker (25, VIC)
Matthew Goss (25, TAS)
Leigh Howard (22, VIC)
Robbie McEwen (39, QLD)
Wesley Sulzberger (25, TAS)

Mitchelton Winery - Lowe Farms

Baden Cooke (33, VIC)
Allan Davis (31, QLD)
Luke Durbridge (20, WA)
Michael Hepburn (20, QLD)
Patrick Lane (20, VIC) Jayco-AIS

Not sure if that gives as any indication as to who will be doing the TdU.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
It truly boggles the mind how such unknowedgble people could have such positions. Like seriously... how does this happen in this day and age.

Like most things in life, it is not what you know but who you know........

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Tan was one of the first people I ever followed on twitter, needless to say, after about 3 months I think he was the first one removed too :D

Sports Journalism is a tough gig sure but he's absolutely hopeless. Has CN + SBS backing him though so he's definitely friends with the right people.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Yeah, Tan was one of the first people I ever followed on twitter, needless to say, after about 3 months I think he was the first one removed too :D

Sports Journalism is a tough gig sure but he absolutely hopeless. Has CN + SBS backing him though so he's definitely friends with the right people.

he also does stuff with velo - news or central

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
daveinzambia said:
Could be everyone already knew this but saw something interesting on Cycling Central web site. Basically saying the Gerry Ryan three year commitment to GreenEdge includes 2011 so funding is only secured for one more season beyond next year.

not a massively secure team, given the difficulty they appear to have finding a sponsor. have to say was equally surprised by the fact that the Tan man had something interesting to say about cycling.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/anthony-tan/blog/125351/the-sponsorship-conundrum

Guess that explains why they were only granted a 2yr licence then..

Edit - For Tuarts. Simple hypothesising.

Yeh, I saw that earlier today, which brings me to something I said a while ago.

Ferminal said:
Pretty risky to go in with a mediocre squad then - they only have three years to find a sponsor, and not winning a lot will not help them.

No TdF contenders for 2012 and 2013, that is not ideal when you want to attract sponsors. Heaps of pressure on Goss to pull off 3-4 stage wins which just isn't going to happen.

Not sure how they can talk about GC being a "long-term" goal, when you're only certain to be around for two seasons.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It truly boggles the mind how such unknowedgble people could have such positions. Like seriously... how does this happen in this day and age.

though i agree his on-camera persona is atrocious i think you'll find tan showed a fair bit of dedication towards becoming a cycling journo; learning french, spanish and italian (and possibly dutch, though i could be making that up). passion makes up for a whole lot of sins.

as fer nygaard and the press opportunity, i get that lord mayor doyle can't move his fat a$$ too far from the town hall, but on a saturday morning surely a better photo op would've been down beach road with thousands of weekend warriors zipping past/dropping in? to spend a saturday morning in december claiming melbourne as a "spiritual home" to the team but avoid melbourne's cycling mecca was just ridiculous.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
clipperton said:
as fer nygaard and the press opportunity, i get that lord mayor doyle can't move his fat a$$ too far from the town hall, but on a saturday morning surely a better photo op would've been down beach road with thousands of weekend warriors zipping past/dropping in? to spend a saturday morning in december claiming melbourne as a "spiritual home" to the team but avoid melbourne's cycling mecca was just ridiculous.

the fact that the Lord Mayor is the mayor of Melbourne means that it would be kind of silly of him hosting an event not in the area where he is the mayor. Don't be silly. Melbourne CBD is a central place so it is rather logical that you would have it in the city. The only reason Doyle was at the event is because the event was held there. Again, if the event was planned to be held in the bayside areas he wouldn't turn up.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Can't read the second article, but the first is a good read.

Thanks

Yeah, interesting that. Edit - For Tuarts. This statement was NOT tongue in cheek.

one slight error; 'These are the people who will buy and wear the merchandise and support the sponsors.'

There are none ;)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Please Andy, we get you don't care/hate/have an agenda against GreenEdge. However, if you're just going to troll everything and turn every little "problem" they encounter into a Guy Fawkes day for yourself, do you think you'd just be better off not posting?

TRENDING THREADS