• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
42x16ss said:
Durbridge may well be capable of a podium in the TT, there is some string competition though. I also hope he gets to ride Roubaix this year just for the experience.

Roubaix is on the same weekend as the Track Worlds. I'm not sure of his program, maybe he will get to Qatar/Oman (are GE invited?), but will be at home for most of the time. Should get a little bit of racing in before starting preparations for London. Then getting as much road in as possible in prep for the Worlds ITT/TTT.

Of course he might not even be in the track squad of 5 for London, so that would change his season a little. If that were the case it would be interesting to see if he could take Porte's spot in the road squad away from him. Porte looks like he's going to be decent in RRs this year so I'd stick with him unless Durbridge looks like a medal chance in the ITT.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Roubaix is on the same weekend as the Track Worlds. I'm not sure of his program, maybe he will get to Qatar/Oman (are GE invited?), but will be at home for most of the time. Should get a little bit of racing in before starting preparations for London. Then getting as much road in as possible in prep for the Worlds ITT/TTT.

Of course he might not even be in the track squad of 5 for London, so that would change his season a little. If that were the case it would be interesting to see if he could take Porte's spot in the road squad away from him. Porte looks like he's going to be decent in RRs this year so I'd stick with him unless Durbridge looks like a medal chance in the ITT.

I would say the chances of Durbridge riding Roubaix are very slim. Look for him to have a similar program to Geraint Thomas - few stage races - track Worlds - all or nothing for London

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
You could always start your own club and call it "I have been so successful in life, business and my sporting career that I can now bag anything and everything that I can find"
Membership application would have to have a covenant that you are not to find the good in anything you see :(
Better check my spelling and grammar is correct and can submit.
Oh yes....well done to the winners of the Nationals, Spratt and Gerrans. Damn have probably banned myself from the new club. Oh well!

Ah yes because I was highlighting everything I thought about the venture? I don't mind the membership, if I had a lot of disposable income I could throw at one I might think about it but I would never kid myself that it is little more that being a "sponsor" with few frills.

Tuarts, that tongue in cheek jibe was really aimed at the one sided knockers. I enjoy your comments, they are balanced with positives, suggestions and some negatives.
Anyone who has started a new project or opened a new venture will know how difficult it is, so lets hope the pretty good brains trust from GE have a good year and more importantly we keep an Australian based team in the World Tour.

Just wondering why Brett Lancaster was the only Aussie rider from GE not to start....is he injured? or did I miss his name in the starting list?

Ferminal said:
I'm not sure of his program, maybe he will get to Qatar/Oman (are GE invited?), but will be at home for most of the time. Should get a little bit of racing in before starting preparations for London. Then getting as much road in as possible in prep for the Worlds ITT/TTT.

He could win the prologue at Qatar. He will help GE at the TTT in Oman. If Gerrans goes there he could maybe win ( as everyone thinks Ballan can go well there too )

He will be in the track squad i think. Him, Bobridge and Meyer are practically guaranteed.

And yes he is the biggest talent at the moment ( he will challenge Martin in a few years and he could develop into a rider who could win Paris-Roubaix )

GE did well to get the title ( but if they had not heads would have rolled )

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
He could win the prologue at Qatar. He will help GE at the TTT in Oman. If Gerrans goes there he could maybe win ( as everyone thinks Ballan can go well there too )

He will be in the track squad i think. Him, Bobridge and Meyer are practically guaranteed.

And yes he is the biggest talent at the moment ( he will challenge Martin in a few years and he could develop into a rider who could win Paris-Roubaix )

GE did well to get the title ( but if they had not heads would have rolled )

He sounds like an Aussie version of Taylor Phinney but he doesn't have the same breadth of talent.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Cross between Tony Martin and Jens Voigt I think is the best way to draw parallels to Durbridge. He's got a huge engine and just by the fact he can dominate TT's will mean he can feature in the GC of a couple of races in a few years time.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
What's Phinney's breadth of talent? He's an okay sprinter, but mostly a time trialist... where Durbridge is already his equal (at least).

The fact that Phinney won Paris-Roubaix U23 really doesn't mean anything.

Phinney has won world individual pursuit twice.World kilo silver medal.World u23 TT.U23 Paris Roubaix.4th in Eneco tour. Etc etc etc = breadth of talent.
And he can sprint.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Those are displays of his time trial talent, in various forms. He's perhaps a bit more explosive than Durbridge, that's all I take from this.

Durbridge is a Bert Grabsh no more.I am more excited by Jack Bobridge and Cam Meyer.
Has Durbridge actually beaten Phinney In TT.Genuine question.

simo1733 said:
Durbridge is a Bert Grabsh no more.I am more excited by Jack Bobridge and Cam Meyer.
Has Durbridge actually beaten Phinney In TT.Genuine question.
He rode the same time as Phinney in the U23 worlds TT, but on wet roads. Ergo he should actually have won.

Durbridge actually can climb a little, he's no Grabsch 2.0... I'd be more inclined to say Phinney is.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I think Bobridge is a closer comparison to Phinney.

Durbridge is more of a pure big engine. Think he'll go well in time trials for years, but not sure if he'll be much but a super domestique....He may turn out good in some of the flatter classics though, who knows. The boy is strong, just not sure what that equates to as an individual rider. Jens Voigt is strong, and has been great for years, but is never an individual superstar.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He rode the same time as Phinney in the U23 worlds TT, but on wet roads. Ergo he should actually have won.

Durbridge actually can climb a little, he's no Grabsch 2.0... I'd be more inclined to say Phinney is.

Is that the u23 where Dowsett was leading untill he crashed.The same Dowsett who beat Durbridge in the Pan flat commonwealth games.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Good on Dowsett, beating a first year espoir by 6 seconds in the Commie Games.

An espoir yes but he has already developed into a big powerfull rider, Dowsett is older by a couple of years but is more compact and quite small so I dont think its a fair comparison.

Dave Millar owned everybody that day anyway.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Good on Dowsett, beating a first year espoir by 6 seconds in the Commie Games.

I don't think Durbridge will make the top 3 in the TT even though it is perfect for a gear masher like him, but we will see.I will be happy if he proves me wrong.

TRENDING THREADS