• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Think it's ridiculous, that cycling, with such limited events, needs the TTers to also be in the road race.

Imagine in Athetlics, saying that the Field athletes also had to be in a track event. Or in swimming that the breast strokers also had to be in a freestyle event?

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
This raises more questions than answers. Is Durbridge good enough for the London RR? Is he vital to the TP?

Olympics Road Squad: Evans and Goss + 2 of Haussler/O'Grady/Hayman/Renshaw + Rogers/Durbridge/Porte.

Why Evans? Shouldn't it be Gerrans?

abbaskip said:
Think it's ridiculous, that cycling, with such limited events, needs the TTers to also be in the road race.

Imagine in Athetlics, saying that the Field athletes also had to be in a track event. Or in swimming that the breast strokers also had to be in a freestyle event?
Gymnasts are currently doing a hexathlon to qualify for a single event, that's worse ;)

And in practice most time trialists would be in the road race anyway, at least the stronger ones... Cancellara, Martin, Wiggins. The Aussies might have a bit of selection trouble though.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Best ITT rider in Australia

Massive Engine for the RR

From the breakdown he provided I assumed he was splitting it up as

Leaders + Domestiques + Engines

So if Evans was in the 3rd group with Durbridge, Rogers and Porte I'd have understood.

What did you mean Ferminal?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
bicing said:
From the breakdown he provided I assumed he was splitting it up as

Leaders + Domestiques + Engines

So if Evans was in the 3rd group with Durbridge, Rogers and Porte I'd have understood.

What did you mean Ferminal?

I thought it was who was picked as leaders Goss RR Evans ITT

who for the road race

who for the other ITT spot

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
roadkill said:
He's more like the best TT rider during a GT. A TT during a 3 week race is a different beast to a ~40KM ITT when your fresh.

No - Evans does not ride ITT as a individual much so hard to compare.

last time he road the ITT on a day not in a Tour was last Olympics with a busted knee

Race results
1 Fabian Cancellara CSC 1h02'11"
2 Gustav Erik Larsson CSC 0'33"
3 Levi Leipheimer AST 1'10"
4 Alberto Contador Velasco AST 1'18"
5 Cadel Evans SIL 1'24"
6 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez EUS 2'26"
7 Svein Tuft SYM 2'28"
8 Michael Rogers THR 2'35"
9 Stef Clement BTL 2'48"
10 Robert Gesink RAB 2'51"
11 Steven Cummings BAR 2'56"
12 David Zabriskie TSL 3'07"
13 Stefan Schumacher GST 3'14"
14 Bert Grabsch THR 3'15"
15 Vincenzo Nibali LIQ 3'25"
16 Ryder Hesjedal TSL 3'31"
17 Rein Taaramäe COF 3'36"
18 Vladimir Karpets GCE 3'41"
19 Chris Anker Sørensen CSC 3'44"
20 Denis Nikolayevich Menchov

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
I thought it was who was picked as leaders Goss RR Evans ITT

who for the road race

who for the other ITT spot

I'm wrong because the Olympics doesn't have normal team sizes for its road race, only 5 riders. sorry

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I dare say Durbridge is better ;)

We may never know although the person who got closest to Tony last year in a ITT was Evans, but if Turbo keeps getting bigger and stronger then by the same age Durbridge easy

Tony better start looking behind for 2013

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
bicing said:
"One entrant approached Cyclingnews, not wishing to be identified, raising their concerns with the late decision. The rider made clear that their anonymity was due to the fact that they did not want to be seen as "whinging" about the final result."

But Cadel Evans wasn't at the Australian Championships............... :S

Does seem like GreenEdge were the only ones using radios. Mick Rogers has confirmed that he did not use a radio and Adam Hansen has said that he asked to use a radio and was told no

on a windy course with trafffic got to think a race radio would be a benefit. Think Mr Rogers is too nice a guy to say if it is worth 16 seconds but got to think with a young rider like Durbridge it would be a big help.

Edit: starting to see a few other riders that took part saying they did not know radios were allowed.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
daveinzambia said:
Does seem like GreenEdge were the only ones using radios. Mick Rogers has confirmed that he did not use a radio and Adam Hansen has said that he asked to use a radio and was told no

on a windy course with trafffic got to think a race radio would be a benefit. Think Mr Rogers is too nice a guy to say if it is worth 16 seconds but got to think with a young rider like Durbridge it would be a big help.

Elle McPherson could be whispering in my ear for 40 k's that there's a promise of sex at the finish and I still wouldn't top 10. :D

May 25, 2010
Visit site
rather disappointing that there were rules for one team and everyone else. It may not have made a huge difference and Durbridge is still an awesome TT'er but its very nefarious and really not that fair.

just some guy said:
We may never know although the person who got closest to Tony last year in a ITT was Evans, but if Turbo keeps getting bigger and stronger then by the same age Durbridge easy

Volta ao Algarve, Stage 5 : Lagoa - Portimao I.T.T. (17.2 km) 20/02/2011

1. [GER] MARTIN Tony THR 20'53"
2. [NED] WESTRA Lieuwe VCD 05"

;)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Elle McPherson could be whispering in my ear for 40 k's that there's a promise of sex at the finish and I still wouldn't top 10. :D

But i reckon i would go more than 16 seconds faster!

actually i would almost definitely DNF having died trying...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I dare say Durbridge is better ;)

On a flat tt Durbridge would be better than Evans. Durbridge would be 10-15kgs heavier than Evans. In a road race, I would definitely go Evans over Durbridge because of his overal strength.

just some guy said:

I totally agree that Durbridge will start to challenge Martin next year.
However he will probably drop 5kg after the Olympics this year to adapt more to the road.

TRENDING THREADS