• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gloin22 said:
Much less, don't know the exact figures now but now GE will have much more money than Sky in the cycling. Will try to get them from dave. But Sky placed around 4/5th in the peleton in terms of budget this year.

Jersey looks a bit mehhhh again.

Orica_GreenEdge12.jpg

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sky_to_commit_millions_to_cycling_until_2016/

The above article states that BSkyB will now be contributing somewhere between $11m (USD) and $18m a year to the running of the professional men's road team. It's been reported elsewhere that they also receive additional cash from News Corporation and Sky Italia but I've never seen any figures.

The old agreement was worth $42m over 4 years according to this article: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/britain_plots_tour_de_france_glory_with_sky-high_deal/

Sky then have a separate agreement with British Cycling (covering the track team etc) that was worth $60m for the 2008-2012 period. That has now been extended to 2016 but there's no estimate of the value of the extended deal (I'd guess a slight increase on the previous deal but who knows).

The $9m pa Orica deal with GreenEDGE is for co-title sponsorship rights so if they could get another sponsor on board at a similar level then they'd certainly have one of the largest budgets in the sport I would have thought. Orica is a very good start obviously and takes a lot of the financial burden off Ryan.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I don't like the design- especially the white patch on the end of the sleeves.

Also i bought the GE top at the TDU for $75 and i am not getting a new one so soon.
That jersey is now retro, so you can ride in it.

blaxland said:
Please,please,please sign Jacob Fuglsang the perfect fit for Team Greenedge":)
With the new sponsor and several riders very close to retirement (McEwen, O'Grady, Cooke, Tuft etc) they may have the budget to buy a gc rider and reasonable domestique or two maybe as soon as 2013. Add the young talent coming through and it could be a reasonable stage race squad by 2014.

They just need to convince them to change squad.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
With the new sponsor and several riders very close to retirement (McEwen, O'Grady, Cooke, Tuft etc) they may have the budget to buy a gc rider and reasonable domestique or two maybe as soon as 2013. Add the young talent coming through and it could be a reasonable stage race squad by 2014.

They just need to convince them to change squad.

Depends on what is meant by stage race squad. Even at the moment they should be able to contend for stage victories in every stage race, even GC if it's flat, Qatar, TDU, etc so I guess GC in stage races that involve a climb and a TT, GTs?.
The list of true GT GC contenders is really short. Not too many more than 10. These are the same names we'll see in the more prestigous one week races too, though we can probably add another 10-20 names. None of these guys come cheap, not only that, they'll need support, which also doesn't come cheap. On top of this every time you shoot for GC you reduce your chances at stages and vice versa. Your number one rider would also now be foreign. Is it really worth it?
If this sponsorship means they have the ability to sign stronger riders, I'd prefer to see, the classics and stage hunters bolstered than attempt to turn to GC and only change in that approach if/when some of the younger guys start to show some promise.

Well I thinks its 7mill euro so not that much. I can't see it freeing up huge amounts of cash for new signings. McEwan is being replaced by Bewley so a small amount there. Gerry doesn't want to to throw money down a hole.

karlboss said:
Depends on what is meant by stage race squad. Even at the moment they should be able to contend for stage victories in every stage race, even GC if it's flat, Qatar, TDU, etc so I guess GC in stage races that involve a climb and a TT, GTs?.
The list of true GT GC contenders is really short. Not too many more than 10. These are the same names we'll see in the more prestigous one week races too, though we can probably add another 10-20 names. None of these guys come cheap, not only that, they'll need support, which also doesn't come cheap. On top of this every time you shoot for GC you reduce your chances at stages and vice versa. Your number one rider would also now be foreign. Is it really worth it?
If this sponsorship means they have the ability to sign stronger riders, I'd prefer to see, the classics and stage hunters bolstered than attempt to turn to GC and only change in that approach if/when some of the younger guys start to show some promise.

I am with karlboss on this one, I don't see any reason to hastily rush out and hunt down a big GC rider who will want to bring in their own lieutenants and drain a LOT of money. There is plenty to watch and be excited about with the young talent and who knows where Cam Meyer can go re. the GC trail.

If they do want to ease into a team with a GC rider, I have said a number of times that the best fit in my eyes is Richie Porte. Without knowing his intentions and his contract tie, you have to say he is a great fit. Being released from the shadow of Wiggins, Froome and Rogers would see him blossom and I think the current GE riders could cover him pretty well in a big race. The question is....does he fit the GE team (personalities) and would he leave Sky (when out of contract). Surely with the strong men GE have for the flats and smaller hills, they could deliver him with Weening as a lieutenant to any major mountains.

I also hope they pick up Caleb Ewan, would love to know what the thinking is there as he looked an excellent prospect in the Bay Crits.

Interested to see the interview on Cycling Central with Simon Clarke, as well as a post Liege interview with Simon Gerrans. http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/2228566378/Cycling-Central-April-29

Gerrans is resting and looking to rebuild form into the Dauphine and then TdF. Clarke also says he is doing Tour of Norway, then Dauphine. Wonder if he will make the TdF team.

He also confirms that Cam Meyer will be looking at having a crack at the Tour of California GC, along with McEwan (last professional race) and Howard for the sprints. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
Interested to see the interview on Cycling Central with Simon Clarke, as well as a post Liege interview with Simon Gerrans. http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/2228566378/Cycling-Central-April-29

Gerrans is resting and looking to rebuild form into the Dauphine and then TdF. Clarke also says he is doing Tour of Norway, then Dauphine. Wonder if he will make the TdF team.

He also confirms that Cam Meyer will be looking at having a crack at the Tour of California GC, along with McEwan (last professional race) and Howard for the sprints. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

blaxland said:
Please,please,please sign Jacob Fuglsang the perfect fit for Team Greenedge":)

Fugl is going to Saxobank.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
is it just me, or does it look like GE is wearing their old kit for the Giro presentation.

Yeah they were. Bet Orica were well chuffed to have been announced as main sponsor only to be a no-show on the teams jersey at the presentation of their next race. #fail

Lets see if the new jersey has arrived for the prologue...

Tour of Norway team

Aidis Kruopis
Baden Cooke
Daniel Teklehaimanot
Michael Hepburn
Mitchell Docker
Sebastian Langeveld
Simon Clarke
Stuart O'Grady

Tour of California

Cameron Meyer
Leigh Howard
Luke Durbridge
Matt Wilson
Pieter Weening
Robbie McEwen
Travis Meyer
Wesley Sulzberger

simo1733 said:
Fugl is going to Saxobank.

Thats good news for Bjarne and saxo they need a GC guy and a danish stage racer in Jacob fits the position perfectly....Would love to see Ritchie Porte at Greenedge but something tells me he will stay with sky.As far as Meyer is concerned i dont think he will become anything special for stage races.Good timetrialler and ok in the small hills but not big Hors Catergory mountains..Its something Greenedge need to get(a grand tour candidate)otherwise the uneducated australian public will loose interest in this team quickly.Cause in Aussie land most of the public only no one race the Tour De France'

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Any idea what happened with Bobridge in the prologue today? I know his track form hasn't carried into road TTs yet, but today he was way down among the Cunego and Schlecks of the world.

I think the course just did not suit him. Hopefully he gets better and can help GE in the TTT. I was pleasantly surprised by Lancaster today.

Kroupis will go well at Norway. I think Meyer has a chance to maybe top 10 in TOC.

Strong teams at both races.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Thats good news for Bjarne and saxo they need a GC guy and a danish stage racer in Jacob fits the position perfectly....Would love to see Ritchie Porte at Greenedge but something tells me he will stay with sky.As far as Meyer is concerned i dont think he will become anything special for stage races.Good timetrialler and ok in the small hills but not big Hors Catergory mountains..Its something Greenedge need to get(a grand tour candidate)otherwise the uneducated australian public will loose interest in this team quickly.Cause in Aussie land most of the public only no one race the Tour De France'

In most of the world the only race is the TDF, but GC isn't the only way to make an impact, I imagine Cavendish is quite well known for a cyclist in the UK.
Greenedge doesn't have the Australian public's interest so it can't lose it. However I'd argue it can't win the interest with a stage race team headlined by foreigners as well as it can with Australians competing for stages.

TRENDING THREADS