• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
karlboss said:
In most of the world the only race is the TDF, but GC isn't the only way to make an impact, I imagine Cavendish is quite well known for a cyclist in the UK.
Greenedge doesn't have the Australian public's interest so it can't lose it. However I'd argue it can't win the interest with a stage race team headlined by foreigners as well as it can with Australians competing for stages.

Yeah thats true karlboss.Lets hope Goss steps up soon and delivers some good wins from here to the end of the season?Cause so far Gerrans has been the one rider most of my(non cycling) mates have been talking about"So who in Greenedge do you think will win a GT stage this year?And what happens if Greenedge dont win a stage this year?(re.public interest?)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Yeah thats true karlboss.Lets hope Goss steps up soon and delivers some good wins from here to the end of the season?Cause so far Gerrans has been the one rider most of my(non cycling) mates have been talking about"So who in Greenedge do you think will win a GT stage this year?And what happens if Greenedge dont win a stage this year?(re.public interest?)

How on earth did your friends even hear about Gerrans? I'm impressed.
Goss is the obvious best bet for a stage, Gerrans, Weening and Albasini, don't count out any of the young guys, though probably not this year.
What happens if they don't win a stage at the Tour re public interest? Same thing as happens if a foreigner rides to top 10 GC, only it doesn't cost so much money.

karlboss said:
How on earth did your friends even hear about Gerrans? I'm impressed.
Goss is the obvious best bet for a stage, Gerrans, Weening and Albasini, don't count out any of the young guys, though probably not this year.
What happens if they don't win a stage at the Tour re public interest? Same thing as happens if a foreigner rides to top 10 GC, only it doesn't cost so much money.
To be fair, Gerrans' win at TDU got a surprising amount of exposure, as did his MSR win. Sure it was only a quick snippet at the end of the sports section on the news but more than races other than the TdF get unless someone does something herculean (like Mikel Nieve's Giro stage win).

As to stage wins, Goss can only keep coming 2nd for so long and Gerrans, Weening and Albasini are proven stage hunters. I'm sure they can rustle up a couple of wins in 63 GT stages.

blaxland said:

Well as if on cue, Goss delivers in daunting fashion, although some gloss has been lost with the crash at the finish. I am not sure how Cavendish will bounce back as that was a lot of road rash he suffered and Goss is in fine form. Also good to see Gossy bounce back...not so much after the 4 second places in Turkey but after his hard crash in the final stage.

Too hard to get a word in on the Giro Stage 3 forum (with Cav and Ferrari talk) but I wanted to mention the train performance in Stage 3. It was a great sight and they really powered up to the front of the peleton. Lancaster was great again but isn't the surprise performer Daryl Impey......thought for a moment he might steal another stage as he did with Allan Davis earlier in the year.

With Impey, Tuft the powerhouse, Vaitkus, Lancaster all going very strongly alongside Keukeleire, Meier, Beppu (how did he sneak into 9th place??) and Goss....does this make Bobridge the key weapon in the TTT? I know he struggled in the prologue but he is such a good time trialler and did a lot of work on the front in Stage 3.....he could be the key to winning Stage 4. What do others think?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
Well as if on cue, Goss delivers in daunting fashion, although some gloss has been lost with the crash at the finish. I am not sure how Cavendish will bounce back as that was a lot of road rash he suffered and Goss is in fine form. Also good to see Gossy bounce back...not so much after the 4 second places in Turkey but after his hard crash in the final stage.

Too hard to get a word in on the Giro Stage 3 forum (with Cav and Ferrari talk) but I wanted to mention the train performance in Stage 3. It was a great sight and they really powered up to the front of the peleton. Lancaster was great again but isn't the surprise performer Daryl Impey......thought for a moment he might steal another stage as he did with Allan Davis earlier in the year.

With Impey, Tuft the powerhouse, Vaitkus, Lancaster all going very strongly alongside Keukeleire, Meier, Beppu (how did he sneak into 9th place??) and Goss....does this make Bobridge the key weapon in the TTT? I know he struggled in the prologue but he is such a good time trialler and did a lot of work on the front in Stage 3.....he could be the key to winning Stage 4. What do others think?

No injuries, morale high, possibly a pink jersey with a win, it could happen, but Garmin look good for this one.
The big change from Turkey was the leadout, didn't realise at the time it was Impey doing the final turn. Hope they can repeat.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
A good win for Goss yesterday but do you think Ferrari took Matt Whites comments a little too literally when talking about Cav:rolleyes:

The easiest way to beat him is to get rid of him, to eliminate him - as in by making him get dropped on the climbs and not contesting the sprint. But when he is there … when you are the fastest guy in the world, it's a big advantage.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...-strong-win-20120507-1y8xj.html#ixzz1uIKtursE

Wilba60 said:

yes thats a possibility and seeing that their enthusiasm is at a high,its very plausable.Lets hope things keep getting better during this giro and then leading up to the tour?Stage wins is definantley where they will be getting their exsposer"

In waiting for the TTT start I was reading this articale on CN about Richie Porte. Still think he is a perfect fit for the OGE team and wonder if he does miss out on TdF if he will consider changing. Possibly has another year of a contract though but that would be good timing for GreenEDGE as they won't have any problem cruising into next year with just a few changes for McEwan and then any other further retirements.....are Stuey and Cooke retiring?

If Goss does as well as expected in this years TdF, GE may closely watch the Sky experiment with a GC and sprint contender to see if it is feasible (unlikely). Any thoughts on the likely TdF line up? Matt White was saying on the GE website that Impey has to seriously considered now for Le Tour and you would have to think Lancaster will be a certainty. Would certainties be;

Goss, Lancaster, O'Grady, Gerrans....then

Langeveld, Weening, Tuft, Impey, Albasini....then

Cooke, Vaitkus, Clarke, Meyer, Wilson...maybe even a Durbridge for time trials??

Tough to pick

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
In waiting for the TTT start I was reading this articale on CN about Richie Porte. Still think he is a perfect fit for the OGE team and wonder if he does miss out on TdF if he will consider changing. Possibly has another year of a contract though but that would be good timing for GreenEDGE as they won't have any problem cruising into next year with just a few changes for McEwan and then any other further retirements.....are Stuey and Cooke retiring?

If Goss does as well as expected in this years TdF, GE may closely watch the Sky experiment with a GC and sprint contender to see if it is feasible (unlikely). Any thoughts on the likely TdF line up? Matt White was saying on the GE website that Impey has to seriously considered now for Le Tour and you would have to think Lancaster will be a certainty. Would certainties be;

Cooke, Vaitkus, Clarke, Meyer, Wilson...maybe even a Durbridge for time trials??

Tough to pick

Well Porte signed up 3 years deal so no way Porte's coming there soon. And he seems happy in Sky and improved, we don't know if he would do so well at GE. Altough I am pretty confident Rogers might be going to GE after this year, his contract ends this year and at GE he'd be the leader at all stage races.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well Porte signed up 3 years deal so no way Porte's coming there soon. And he seems happy in Sky and improved, we don't know if he would do so well at GE. Altough I am pretty confident Rogers might be going to GE after this year, his contract ends this year and at GE he'd be the leader at all stage races

Where did you hear that Porte signed a 3 year deal?? I recall hearing Matt White talking as if Richie had signed a two year deal and that they would look to talk again in two years when Greenedge's goals might align better with Porte's goals...

Wilba60 said:
a few changes for McEwan and then any other further retirements.....are Stuey and Cooke retiring?

Would certainties be;

Tough to pick

I don't think Cooke will retire for a long time yet he is only 33 and has big ambitions in the Classics. Could go another 5 years. I think if Lancaster does a good job leading Gossy out for the Giro and tour then they could do without Julien Dean for next year who is getting on a bit too... I'm thinking along the lines of getting rid of a couple of flatlanders for a couple of stage racers... Would be good to see Rogers and Sutherland there after their recent strong performances.

That team there is more or less what I think it will be. I hope Impey gets a ride and if he leads out like he did on stage 3 a few more times then he'll be indispensable for a team trying to win the green jersey. Only question mark I have is whether Tuft has had too heavy a race program to ride the tour as well... I guess it would be good to see Cam Meyer ride the tour instead of Tuft but we'll have to see how his form in California and Suisse is first... and I don't like the idea of just riding him for the first 2 weeks... go all or nothing

If Impey is in the team I cant see a spot for Cookie and I think Vaikus should miss out too although I get the feeling Whitey wants him in the tour team...

Sydney21 said:
Where did you hear that Porte signed a 3 year deal?? I recall hearing Matt White talking as if Richie had signed a two year deal and that they would look to talk again in two years when Greenedge's goals might align better with Porte's goals...

Teamskyfans site has the contract as "believed to be a 2 year deal".

Not sure if there is anything absolutely definiative out in the public domain. I can see richie moving the Greenegde, but equally he could be a future GT leader at Sky.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Teamskyfans site has the contract as "believed to be a 2 year deal".

Not sure if there is anything absolutely definiative out in the public domain. I can see richie moving the Greenegde, but equally he could be a future GT leader at Sky.

Why be one of 5 GC riders at Sky when he would be the 1 leader at Greenedge?
At sky he has to compete with Rodgers, Henao, Uran, and Wiggo

The best GC rider at Greenedge is Cam Meyer or Simon Clarke.

Unless Rodgers goes to GE... though Porte has gotten alot better this year it seems...

Gloin22 said:
Well Porte signed up 3 years deal so no way Porte's coming there soon. And he seems happy in Sky and improved, we don't know if he would do so well at GE. Altough I am pretty confident Rogers might be going to GE after this year, his contract ends this year and at GE he'd be the leader at all stage races.

In my opinion they shouldnt bother with Rodgers,he seems to be on the decline and has for the past few seasons.Still a good time trialler but only ok in the mountains.Greenedge need someone like Porte(but 2 yr contract with sky) or Fuglsang(apparentley going back to saxo)Who else is their???

gustienordic said:

Unless Rodgers goes to GE... though Porte has gotten alot better this year it seems...

Probably fair to say that he sits behind Froome as well at Sky. I wouldn't necessarily write Rogers off, remember the resurgance of Gerrans since leaving Sky. Sometimes form isn't a true indicator because you could be doing team roles that don't allow for stand out performances. Where Rogers would be perfect at GE would be in the riding/coaching/development phase, similar to what Stuey and Robbie McEwan are doing now.

Talking of McEwan, wouldn't it be fantastic if he can grap a stage win in California....fairy tale ending :D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
gustienordic said:

Same situation why Hayman and Sutton stayed this season, better environment ;) Less pressure to perform too.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
In the most recent Porte interview he said it was looking like he'd lead Sky in the 2013 Giro, so we can scratch him off for at least one more year.

Mick Rogers is a better bet for 2013 GE. He's still good enough to be there or thereabouts in some good stage races, especially ones with TTs. Despite starting his season late (essentially 2 months off after TDU) he has 4th at TDU, 2nd at Crit Int, 5th at Romandie. He's neither the TTist nor the climber he once was, but he's a good, solid GC rider still.

As with Hayman and Sutton the question is whether happiness/comfort in a team is outweighed by patriotism.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
killswitch said:
Hayman should be a team leader in the cobbled classics.

I think 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy, with freedom to attack and respond to attacks is just about perfect for him. He's not going to stay with Cance, Boonen, Flecha, Pozzato etc when they put the pressure on.

hatcher said:
I think 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy, with freedom to attack and respond to attacks is just about perfect for him. He's not going to stay with Cance, Boonen, Flecha, Pozzato etc when they put the pressure on.
Really? Along with Ballan and Van Summeren he's probably the best cobbles rider getting around after those guys (as good as Pozzato at Roubaix IMO). At any team other than Sky, RSNT and BMC he would be team leader for sure, especially at Roubaix.

Yeah i agree, last year at P-R he worked his **** of in the break/ then helped Flecha.

His win at P-B was great too.

Rogers would be a good safe bet for GE ( it's a pity Sky are not doing TOC this year ) I would have liked to see if Rogers could have gone well there.

42x16ss said:
Really? Along with Ballan and Van Summeren he's probably the best cobbles rider getting around after those guys (as good as Pozzato at Roubaix IMO). At any team other than Sky, RSNT and BMC he would be team leader for sure, especially at Roubaix.
FWIW, he came from Rabobank, where he was hardly the team leader. Just a trusted domestique, who occasionally made it into the final of a race... like he is now at Sky.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
FWIW, he came from Rabobank, where he was hardly the team leader. Just a trusted domestique, who occasionally made it into the final of a race... like he is now at Sky.

2011 - 10th Roubaix / 2011 - 8th Roubiax And both these times while being a doemstique working for Flecha. He's defintely good enough to be a leader or 2nd leader at GE, but he did sing contract with Sky in 2011 for 2 years, so anyway it's a no no.

TRENDING THREADS