• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Andy99 said:
AwYq96iCQAABjnH.png:large

from the uci website c/o inrng (don't think it should have been released so soon, as it has since been removed..)

Basically, a bit like movistar

I like the new look better than the original. Hopefully they'll have it on sale in Liege this weekend as my son is dying to buy a new kit since Orica came on board.

peterst6906 said:
I like the new look better than the original. Hopefully they'll have it on sale in Liege this weekend as my son is dying to buy a new kit since Orica came on board.

The existing tops stand out in the peloton, not sure this one will be as prominent as looks similar to Movistar.

Fail

Hugh

I dont like the new jersey/kit it looks like the rest of the teams in the peloton.I also think stage wins only is/will be a dissappointment for most team fans.The selection of stage hunters only is a big risk,lets hope they dont finish the tour without a win.(i guess they will be attacking everyday like all of the french teams)really dissapointed with the selection of riders on the team"

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
I dont like the new jersey/kit it looks like the rest of the teams in the peloton.I also think stage wins only is/will be a dissappointment for most team fans.The selection of stage hunters only is a big risk,lets hope they dont finish the tour without a win.(i guess they will be attacking everyday like all of the french teams)really dissapointed with the selection of riders on the team"
A bit harsh I feel, they don't actually have a credible GC rider that they can send to the Tour, so what can they do? Goss is one of the top 4 sprinters in the race, Gerrans is a competent stage hunter, Albasini could be to if allowed, and they have Weening in shape for climbing and trying for the top 15 or whatever. They haven't made a bad fist of it.

blaxland said:

Anybody who is a fan of the team and cycling can't be too disappointed with this concept, from the moment the team was announced at the start of the season this was always going to be the plan.
Based on their roster who do you think they should have brought to the tour instead?
Bringing Goss and support for him and going for green I think would be more interesting and exciting than bring a team to try and support Weening (or nominated GC) and going for a top 15 finish.

taiwan said:
A bit harsh I feel, they don't actually have a credible GC rider that they can send to the Tour, so what can they do? Goss is one of the top 4 sprinters in the race, Gerrans is a competent stage hunter, Albasini could be to if allowed, and they have Weening in shape for climbing and trying for the top 15 or whatever. They haven't made a bad fist of it.

Your right about GC but i thought their options may have included Meyer,thus giving him the oppertunity to show what he can do.Goss and Gerrans both have good shots at stages and albasini aswell but i dont think any others will do much.O'grady and cooke are two riders i wouldnt have picked they are both past their use by date,would rather have seen Meyer and durbridge.But lets hope next year they chase someone with overall ambitions"

Tigerion said:
There was a quote from White that made me think that they are saving Cam and going to have a tilt at top 10 in the Veulta

He will get destroyed there- he seems more like a Bradley Wiggins type rider- il suited to the real steep stuff ( if he can be a GT contender ) which i do or do not know.

Cooke is only 32 and should help Goss in the sprints. He has been close to Sagan recently as well.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
He will get destroyed there- he seems more like a Bradley Wiggins type rider- il suited to the real steep stuff ( if he can be a GT contender ) which i do or do not know.

Cooke is only 32 and should help Goss in the sprints. He has been close to Sagan recently as well.

Blimey, I would have put him closer to 40. Other than this year, he seemed to be going downhill for years..

It is hard to say if a rider was going downhill or it was a mix of other ingredients like the role he was asked to play for his team, or injury, or poor team dynamics. A number of riders have shown great improvement since coming across to GE, look at Gerrans, Albasini and Impey for example. I think Cooke is showing the same sense of freedom now that he is racing for a "home" team and is being given some license to race in races (if that makes sense).

I reckon the selection of O'Grady and Cooke is a great thing. Meyer and Durbridge are champs of the future and no good flogging them at a young age in such a hard race. O'Grady will be a huge bonus for Goss and although I don't think we will see him in the lead out, he will dictate pace on the road and make running decisions for the team, using his great experience.

This could also be Stuey's final tour and there is a huge morale factor around looking after great champs. OGE did a good job with Robbie McEwan and I hope they continue that on with Stuey.

taiwan said:

I think you can probably throw Langeveld in there as well. He seems to be coming back to the form that made him one of the favourites back in the Spring Classics, until his fall. My wish though would see Impey jump off the front of a Goss lead out and take a stage narrowly in front of Gossy and beating the likes of Sagan, Cav, Griepel, etc. :D

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
It is hard to say if a rider was going downhill or it was a mix of other ingredients like the role he was asked to play for his team, or injury, or poor team dynamics. A number of riders have shown great improvement since coming across to GE, look at Gerrans, Albasini and Impey for example. I think Cooke is showing the same sense of freedom now that he is racing for a "home" team and is being given some license to race in races (if that makes sense).

I reckon the selection of O'Grady and Cooke is a great thing. Meyer and Durbridge are champs of the future and no good flogging them at a young age in such a hard race. O'Grady will be a huge bonus for Goss and although I don't think we will see him in the lead out, he will dictate pace on the road and make running decisions for the team, using his great experience.

This could also be Stuey's final tour and there is a huge morale factor around looking after great champs. OGE did a good job with Robbie McEwan and I hope they continue that on with Stuey.

yeah, I don't doubt it. Good to see. Just seems light years ago from when he was winning the green jersey with FDJ.

The more i think about it the more i am harbouring hope that Gerrans could get the yellow jersey on stage 1.

If he does a good prologue time and can get a little gap on the last hill on stage 1- he could foreseeably get the MJ.

Of course Sagan, Cancellara, Gilbert, Evans and a few others will also feature on this stage/ have done a good prologue but it could still happen.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
The more i think about it the more i am harbouring hope that Gerrans could get the yellow jersey on stage 1.

If he does a good prologue time and can get a little gap on the last hill on stage 1- he could foreseeably get the MJ.

Of course Sagan, Cancellara, Gilbert, Evans and a few others will also feature on this stage/ have done a good prologue but it could still happen.

What did he do since March and MSR ? :rolleyes:

Nothing, I doubt it. There are stronger guys for stage 1/

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:
that hasnt been their goal to produce a GC team as yet - its more a long term thing in their minds...craw before you walk etc.

found some pics from their Tour De France presentation
206155_411431818908686_1437966387_n.jpg

486600_411438675574667_917918475_n.jpg

425051_411438592241342_1451738185_n.jpg

Lets see how they look in the peleton when we are trying to spot the GE boys. I have got used to looking for that darker green to spot them. Luckily the main indicator from the helicopter shots is the Jayco on the knicks and that has remained.

When you read the previews of the Tour you can see that Goss and Gerrans are noted as the two main chances for a GE win. Most of the team have specific jobs to do with Lancaster, Impey and Cooke the most likely lead out train....possibly Albasini and/or Langeveld in there as well. The riders of interest who's roles aren't obvious, especially in the hillier stages are;

Langeveld. Great spring form before his crash at the Flanders Tour. That sort of form leads to a similar role to Gerrans and Albasini or will he be doing some of the tough work pulling back breaks for OGE?

Albasini. Arguably the best "in form" rider the team has. Will he be given breaks to hunt or will he do a similar role to Gerrans and look for those tough rolling hill stages. Also sprints very quickly as seen in Switzerland...part of the lead out?

Weening. Doesn't get a mention in any of the previews for mountains or KOM points but he is obviously climbing superbly. Will he just ride to show a OGE presence in the mountain stages or will he look to get in some breaks and have a dash at the KOM? Alternatively he could be set to try and win a stage or two in the mountains as the GC men won't mind too much if he sneaks away.

Added to that do you think Gerrans and Albasini will get as close as they can to the lead in the prologue with the view of having a shot at the yellow jersey after Stage 1?

If they did do that would it hurt their chances in the first 5 stages, many of which really suit the teams chances to get a stage win?

The new kit is ok?i guess.looks similar to Vacansoleil"I think that makes it four new designs for this team already this season,must be hard for supporters to keep up.Even i have two different kits already.And i still have to get the new one?

I had heard of Orica before the GE sponsorship but it wasn't very often and can't even recall why I had heard the name as it really wasn't used in a context that was of interest.

I don't know how much the Orica name has been used in Europe or other parts of the world but in Australia it has become extremely well known. For many years the only cycling on tv was the TdF and as interest has increased, so has the exposure of the race. Now we get every stage live (albeit from 10pm to approx 1.30am) and there is usually excellent coverage of how the Aussies are faring (all teams) and how Orica GreenEdge are going. I hear it mentioned on a range of radio stations and news reports. Not sure if that equates to more money in the bank but there brand is certainly much, much better known now than it was in the past.

Hope Gossy can pick up a win in Stage 6!! Not only would it be great for the team but sounds like it would cause some great laughs and fun in the team with Peter Weening talking about a very close hair cut or full shave if the OGE team pick up a stage win. Apparently he hasn't had a different hair style since he was 17. Watch it on backstage pass.

TRENDING THREADS