• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
taiwan said:
Any GE fans have an idea what Gerrans is about in this Tour? His form, his objectives...

Was surprised to see him on the front yesterday. Objectives for Tour are breakaways, but expect his peak to come late for the Olympics.

Gerrans/Weening/Albasini will all be trying for the breaks but also helping Goss if called upon.

If they don't get in the break on the Annonay stage I think they should work to make it a sprint, Gerrans/Albasini both a chance if they can shell the pesky Slovak.

Ferminal said:
Was surprised to see him on the front yesterday. Objectives for Tour are breakaways, but expect his peak to come late for the Olympics.

Gerrans/Weening/Albasini will all be trying for the breaks but also helping Goss if called upon.

If they don't get in the break on the Annonay stage I think they should work to make it a sprint, Gerrans/Albasini both a chance if they can shell the pesky Slovak.

They were struggling to catch the break, so it was all hands on deck.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

tx. Yeah I expeced more from him on the early stages, but yes, the Olympics. I suspect the same will go for Goss and Cav too actually, now that I think about how the sprints have played out.

"FORMER Australian road race champion and Jayco Herald Sun Tour winner Matthew Wilson will retire from racing next month to become a director with Orica-GreenEDGE"
Hamburg will be his last race...
got the most out of himself imo, will be fun to watch him in the car with sheriff an matty :D

Report card so far is somewhat similar to the Aussies in the Olympics, bit of a struggle to get gold but plenty of silver and bronze to buoy the spirits and keep everyone motivated. Gerro would have looked great with a MSR/San Sebastian double but didn't quite get there. Eneco was strong as well and great to see Tuft do so well after working so hard this year. Durbo also continues an excellent first year. Hope to see the two of them as World Champs if they can snag the World TTT title.

Two of the unluckiest riders for OGE this year get their chances at the Vuelta. Would love to see Simon Clarke and/or Allan Davis pick up a win or two. Will also be interesting to see how Weening, Meyer, DT and Wes do in the mountains. Best of luck as well to Docker and Kiwi Dean who have both returned from serious injury and will be the lead out for Davis.

Great day for GreenEdge with Kroupis's win followed by the well deserved win from Simon Clarke. Clarke's versatility is shining through after being the second last rider in the Davis lead out train in Stage 2, he backs it up with a win against a class opponent from the breakaway.

After Alby picked up another second in stage two, it was great for the team to pick up their second Grand Tour stage win for the year. Hopefully Davis can use that momentum and get up in Stage 5 for a second GE win in the Vuelta. Hopefully he can be invisible whilst the Sky vs Movistar vs Saxo battle progresses and take out the sprint.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
Great day for GreenEdge with Kroupis's win followed by the well deserved win from Simon Clarke. Clarke's versatility is shining through after being the second last rider in the Davis lead out train in Stage 2, he backs it up with a win against a class opponent from the breakaway.

After Alby picked up another second in stage two, it was great for the team to pick up their second Grand Tour stage win for the year. Hopefully Davis can use that momentum and get up in Stage 5 for a second GE win in the Vuelta. Hopefully he can be invisible whilst the Sky vs Movistar vs Saxo battle progresses and take out the sprint.

Really happy for Clarke, been a long journey for him. Can remember him as a young bloke on the track, had a bit of toe about him, so I was confident he could smoke Martin in the sprint.

simon clarke first pro win not a bad job in a grand tour wow, so much upside in him he could win tons of classics imo

what i found great reading what they said before the tour they are all about development of the young riders aussie or not which is great.... funny i thought trav meyer was lucky to score a go in the tour but he is higher in gc then his bro :p

Spider1964 said:
Really happy for Clarke, been a long journey for him. Can remember him as a young bloke on the track, had a bit of toe about him, so I was confident he could smoke Martin in the sprint.

I see a lot of Gerrans in him and he is getting good results against quality riders. Only EBH stood between him in the Tour of Norway for both a stage and overall win and I think it was the PR race last year (Astana) where he was looking really strong.

Backstage pass is a beauty as always but moreso with OGE winning. The injured rider hanging on looks really badly cut up in the face at least.....didn't look to be a Greenedge rider but wasn't sure as they talked about one GE possibly going down. Anyone know who it was?

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
I see a lot of Gerrans in him and he is getting good results against quality riders. Only EBH stood between him in the Tour of Norway for both a stage and overall win and I think it was the PR race last year (Astana) where he was looking really strong.

Backstage pass is a beauty as always but moreso with OGE winning. The injured rider hanging on looks really badly cut up in the face at least.....didn't look to be a Greenedge rider but wasn't sure as they talked about one GE possibly going down. Anyone know who it was?

Was great to see another Greenedge win in a a GT and a hilly stage to boot! Finally Clarkey was able to deliver on his massive potential and crack it on a massive stage hopefully will be the first of many big wins. Will be interested to see how he goes next year in the Ardennes now with the confidence he can win a big race.

Does anyone now what is going on with Cam MEYER wasn't expecting him to go that great but he is even further back than I thought, did he crash, or get caught in the echelons or just bad form.

Also I think that injured rider on Backstage pass was a movistar rider not sure exactly who though.

I think you are right with Movistar, only a quick glance at the jersey but it did seem like a similar one to OGE, I was thinking Vaconseleil or Movistar.

Nice interview with Kroupis after his win yesterday at
http://www.tour-poitou-charentes.co...38.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Neil Stephens said that Cam Meyer got caught to far back at the foot of the final climb in Stage 3. He didn't seem overly happy with that but maybe Cam is feeling the effects of a long season. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the upcoming climbs and time trial.

Another great week for the OGE team with another win to Gerro and the mountain jersey....yes mountain....for Simon Clarke at the Vuelta, to go with his stage victory. Davis and Cam Meyer have also been very close to winning stages at this Vuelta but haven't quite been able to crack it for the top podium spot. Davis has one more chance in the final stage.

Meyer has left the Vuelta of course to join the World Team Time trial group in training. OGE have had great success in two team trials this year and will be hoping for a top result at the Worlds. It looks a very strong team too with Durbridge and Tuft very strong leaders, then Meyer, Langeveld, Mouris and very interestingly, Sam Bewley. Bewley joined the team after the retirement of McEwan and has a background in pursuit riding with New Zealand. He recently raced against OGE team mates Hepburn and Bobridge at the Olympics, so must be rated pretty highly to make this team ahead of some other very handy time triallists.

The Eggman said:
OGE perhaps a little underwhelming (IMO) of late. For mine they are going too hard after the sprints when Goss can't foot it with Cav
What choice do they have? They are caught between a rock and a hard place really.

If Goss, Albasini, Langeveld and Gerrans don't fire what are they left with? Aging "stars" (Lancaster, O'Grady, Cooke, Tuft, Mouris etc) and a bunch of very promising kids who aren't ready to step up yet (Trav Meyer, Matthews, Durbridge, Hepburn, Howard, Keukeliere, Teklehaimanot etc.) This is because their plan B isn't usually good enough.

Guys like Weening, Cam Meyer and Daryl Impey are solid pros but they aren't team leader material. OGE will be more than ok if they can hang onto most of their young guns for a few years but until then they are a one trick pony.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
What choice do they have? They are caught between a rock and a hard place really.

If Goss, Albasini, Langeveld and Gerrans don't fire what are they left with? Aging "stars" (Lancaster, O'Grady, Cooke, Tuft, Mouris etc) and a bunch of very promising kids who aren't ready to step up yet (Trav Meyer, Matthews, Durbridge, Hepburn, Howard, Keukeliere, Teklehaimanot etc.) This is because their plan B isn't usually good enough.

Guys like Weening, Cam Meyer and Daryl Impey are solid pros but they aren't team leader material. OGE will be more than ok if they can hang onto most of their young guns for a few years but until then they are a one trick pony.

Tend to agree, unless Goss and Gerrans are firing, this team is hoping for a little luck in the big races. They are still capable in the smaller ones. I was messing around with some names, and thought this might be a good team.

CANCELLARA Fabian, TALANSKY Andrew, GERRANS Simon, DURBRIDGE Luke, GOSS Matthew, HAUSSLER Heinrich, DE GENDT Thomas, SLAGTER Tom-Jelte,
LANGEVELD Sebastian, WEENING Pieter, CLARKE Simon, HOWARD Leigh, MEYER Cameron, DOWSETT Alex, KEUKELEIRE Jens, MATTHEWS Michael, O'GRADY Stuart, HAYMAN Mathew, HANSEN Adam, HOWSON Damien, COOKE Baden, MCCARTHY Jay, EWAN Caleb, SULZBERGER Wesley, DOCKER Mitchell, KERBY Jordan, MORTON Lachlan, HEPBURN Michael.

1 expensive signing and a couple of moderately expensive ones, but I think it'd make an impact all year long, maintain an Australian identity, and foster youngsters.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Looks good, if only Morton, Kerby, McCarthy and Dowsett didn't sign new contracts at the start of the year...

Nathan Earle is showing form worthy to go WT/PCT ATM though - is there anybody showing interest in him?

You'll note I completely ignored any commitments anyone had, most of the signing I suggest aren't available. I just tried to make a team that wasn't too expensive and could perform year round.

Either make Goss get his act together or bin him. Stop pretending he's a genuine leader because at the moment he's not. I presume his next contract will be a fraction of his current one.

With so many finishers they will always get wins and will never be the worst in the rankings, but it's hard to be relevant without a genuine leader. They will end up like a Vacansoleil, or Euskaltel for the last 12 months.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think this team is a bit a crossroads now. They have had some big wins but regarding a GC hope, they are non-existent and invisible. Grand coming into the sport initially with the hope of doing more in some of the classics and getting stage wins in the bigger races but eventually you are going to have to evolve with time. And I say something if they had an A-list sprinter who can rack up the wins but the way Goss is performing he is anything but. Only if they were winning like this would it been anyway justified.

Porte is out of the question for at least another year and a half and even if they were to go down the GC route one big signing wouldn't be enough as more domestique supporting riders suited to this would have to be acquired also. Currently they don't have many riders of that ilk either and so it would have to be a big undertaken if they were go along this path now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Either make Goss get his act together or bin him. Stop pretending he's a genuine leader because at the moment he's not. I presume his next contract will be a fraction of his current one.

With so many finishers they will always get wins and will never be the worst in the rankings, but it's hard to be relevant without a genuine leader. They will end up like a Vacansoleil, or Euskaltel for the last 12 months.

Gerrans is having a good year, but not good enough to base a team around. I hate to say it but I agree.

Problem is there aren't too many leaders going around, I think Cancellara is the most obvious fit, (Porte already signed with Sky and Evans I think is at BMC till the end of 2014). The team looks solid enough to support Cancellara for his goals, and have invites to those races, and there is clearly no question of leadership, though until Andy is back in form there isn't at RLT either.

For the big races I'd start adopting the attack at all opportunities and earn a reputation for being an aggressive team. Don't know why vacansoliel stopped. The multitude of sprinters will take care of the points at smaller races.

TRENDING THREADS