• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Lemond for president of UCI

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Sure it will never happen.
Sure there are potential pitfalls with Mr. Lemond.
But the sport is dying because of the leadership of the UCI. They killed the sport because they were only interested in protecting the revenue.

The sport needs someone provocative, but dedicated to clean sport. I realize that his nationality will not be popular with many, but that is the same xenophobic bull**** that has always been thrown his way. And no, I am not suggesting he should do it because cycling needs an American to save it.

I think as a promoter of the sport, he would draw attention to cycling. He has run large organizations. He is a former champion. His stance on doping in sport is well documented and the kind that is needed as a president of the UCI. Sure there are the suggestions that he doped, but the people who say that don't have a shred of evidence.

And yes, I know that this will never happen, but I posted the topic to generate conversation. I guess that qualifies as a troll, but then again, isn't every thread on the intertubes then a troll.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Sure it will never happen.
Sure there are potential pitfalls with Mr. Lemond.
But the sport is dying because of the leadership of the UCI. They killed the sport because they were only interested in protecting the revenue.

The sport needs someone provocative, but dedicated to clean sport. I realize that his nationality will not be popular with many, but that is the same xenophobic bull**** that has always been thrown his way. And no, I am not suggesting he should do it because cycling needs an American to save it.

I think a promoter of the sport, he would draw attention to cycling. He has run large organizations. He is a former champion. His stance on doping in sport is well documented and the kind that is needed as a president of the UCI. Sure there are the suggestions that he doped, but the people who sya that don't have a shred of evidence.

And yes, I know that this will never happen, but I posted the topic to generate conversation. I guess that qualifies as a troll, but then again, isn't every thread on the intertubes then a troll.

Lemond has too much baggage. I'd put JV or Ashenden at the helm.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Besides, the only way to make it somewhat believable is getting someone from outside cycling. Because I don't believe you can find someone with enough experience for the job within cycling who doesn't have a questionable past.

Maybe he could move up in the global antidoping ranks, but it sounds like he's happy with what he's doing right now, as part of local antidoping enforcement in France.

Regardless, he's too forgiving. You get the feeling he'd give every doper a hug and say "Just don't do it again, k?" :D

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Then call in Chuck Norris and have him roundhouse kick the raw **** out of the filthy lot of 'em.

Seriously. Reading all those news lately is starting to make me depressed. I'm at a complete loss as to who should clean up the horrible mess. :(:(

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
An "independent" commision should be set up made up of credible people indepentdent of the sport, but also a selection of riders and directors who have come clean. They can issue a report and recommondations that can be the genesis of a new governing body or any kind of reform. It would at least set up a discussion with ideas moving things forward.

The sport needs something like this or may be engulfed by the scandals and be lost if economies continue to waffle.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
Does he want to do it or/and have the political skills?

Why should political skills be needed? He would be supposed to run a sports organization, not trying to convince some middle east tyrant that killing his own people is a bad thing.

In fact I would prefer someone with all the political finesse of a Jackhammer. Even better, choose someone with Tourette syndrome, so that each and every time someone gets caught, he'll get an earfull.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Go with the pro boxing model of having multiple governing bodies not one, Put Lemond, Bassons and one or two others in charge and wait for the UCI to become a bigger laughing stock and then fall apart. Mission accomplished.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Lemond has too much baggage. I'd put JV or Ashenden at the helm.

The only baggage Lemond has are the bags of threat from Armstrong and John Burke. The fact is Lemond was never ever known as a bitter jealous ex-athlete with an axe to grind until Armstrong's PR team conned the Armstrong fans and generally uninformed public to believe that.

Lemond was and still is the one and only American to have won the Tour de France. And he did it with class. He would definitely to right by clean cyclists and clean up the spot as a UCI president. Though, I highly doubt that would even be in his plans.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
sublimit said:
Go with the pro boxing model of having multiple governing bodies not one, Put Lemond, Bassons and one or two others in charge and wait for the UCI to become a bigger laughing stock and then fall apart. Mission accomplished.

I would not put Lemond there nor do I think he said he waints it. he spolight woudl on him and I wonder what that would yield?

You need a governing body that is not limited to one man and people who have had nothing to do with the sport.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Tinman said:
D!ick Pound for 12 months ad interim, to run a T&R, and for new elections Sept 2013.

Because he knows what's required to separate anti-doping away from UCI, has the WADA connection, has teams/sponsors and riders' trust, and last but not least the trust of ASO and the french. And he is a professional sports administrator.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Tinman said:
Because he knows what's required to separate anti-doping away from UCI, has the WADA connection, has teams/sponsors and riders' trust, and last but not least the trust of ASO and the french. And he is a professional sports administrator.
And because he is the honey badger of the sports administration world. D!ck Pound don't give a sh!t about Jacques Rogge or the IOC, Pat McQuaid or the UCI, Lance Armstrong or the next doper. D!ck Pound don't care what flag you fly.

This depends on the role of the president. IMHO the most important thing a president should have is trust. Trust that he/she would do the right thing.

In this age, doping is issue number 1,2,3,4, and 5 on the priority list.

I want someone who will tell the truth no matter what.

My candidate is Paul Kimmage. He knows about doping. He tells it like it is, and he knows cycling.

The only problem I see is that he might have problem holding back when he should. For that I would want Walsh to be head of information.

To help keep Kimmage on message PR wise when he's a bit too honest.

All the political stuff like making nice with China to spread the sport etc can wait. Anti doping credibility is what cycling needs. And in that department, Kimmage is the one I would trust to tell it like it is and do the right thing.

TRENDING THREADS