• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Guillaume is The New(est) Martin

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I suppose it's a different way to approach a coveted top 10 finish than Andreas Kloden but I'm not convinced Cofidis have stumbled across a master tactic that other teams who'd love a top 10 have overlooked. I'd prefer to see him go for stages and/or the KotM, but presumably that gains less points than finishing 9th overall? Below is an article trying to provide context.

I don't think anyuone would call him a master tactician, but if he tried to hold on in the peloton he woud likely lose a lot of time anyway during three weeks. When his tactic works out it definitely helps him to get better results.

In the 2020 Vuelta he went stage hunting and wasn't far from winning a stage, and got the KOM jersey out of it instead. Still I see him as someone who lacks the skills to be a proper stage hunter. Getting in breask and finish in the top 10 seems to be workign well for him and the sponsors, and surely we wouldn't be talking as much about him if he just wheel sucked his way to his results.

Martin has a decent acceleration, especially in short and punchy hills. He is better in those stages compared to the high mountains.

I like his style of racing. He is a good climber but not good enough for consistently scoring Top10 performances in GT without his breakaways shenanigans. His place should be more of a Top15. Maybe he should try to pick better the stages where he goes on the offensive, but overall I think he gets next to the maximum out of his ability.

I like GMart. He’s always up for an attack or a break, doesn’t complain and generally gets results. But he’s a terrible descender. Yesterday the French Eurosport commentators kept say saying “let go of the brakes, Guillaume!”
it seems to be more of a mental issue after a heavy downhill crash during training sth like 1 1/2 years ago. Before that he actually used to be quite good.

I’m happy with the way I finished the Giro. I’ve had good legs, for this time trial too.

It’s good for morale, especially since I had wished for higher than a 14th place at GC.
I’ve often raced backwards, trying to make up for lost time. Maybe I should have been more patient.
But I end up rather fresh.

It allows me to remain confident for the future and the next Tour de France especially.

I had also hoped he would get another top 10, but 14th isn't too bad in the end. Also considering he didn't win anything during the race, I think he deserved the combativity award more than Van der Poel, but that obviously depends on what kind of riding you want to reward (was that also decided by a "rigged" online poll?)

He could have easily Top 10'd by following wheels, of that I'm certain. His strategy worked...until it didn't.

I wonder what Cofidis do in the future, though. If they're satisfied with GMart doing his thing in 2 or 3 GTs a year, that's one thing. I don't know much about their climbers other than that Giro stage that Lafay one, but maybe there are some diamonds in the rough in their roster.

I found this Ian Treloar article from Cyclingtips, where he appers to have done some digging in order to find out whether those donkeys were his own, which they are.

But I already knew that, because I read this Velonews article quite a while ago.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I found this Ian Treloar article from Cyclingtips, where he appers to have done some digging in order to find out whether those donkeys were his own, which they are.

But I already knew that, because I read this Velonews article quite a while ago.

For a cycling reporter, Iain sure has a lot of focus on farm-life. :p

For a cycling reporter, Iain sure has a lot of focus on farm-life. :p

He has to do something, when bhe isn't covering some weird scandals, but this piece isn't his best, when he's trying to present it as being news when it hasn't exactly been kept secret.

It's more interesting that they haven't decided on him going to the Vuelta yet (Martin that is, not Ian. I don't know what he's doing).

Slam donkey!

guillaume-martin-of-france-and-team-cofidis-celebrates-at-finish-line-picture-id1414017295

Just checked GM‘s PCS, he‘s in the break in Catalunya currently.

What surprised me most is Martin‘s extremely low abandon rate. Since at least his first Junior year (age 17), until now (2023), he rode a full racing calendar every year - and all in all, he DNF five to seven races circa, totally. He turns 30 this year.

His constantly good results, and his extremely low DNF rate, are really special. Hats off!…

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts