Handlebar failures on Trek

May 14, 2021
Anybody else had a handlebar failure with Trek bikes. I have a brand new Trek Emonda SLR 7. Had done less than 1000km and hit some rough road at 35km per hour. Handlebar snapped very similar to what we saw on Canyon - broke at the place where the cables enter the handlebar.
Trek are insisting that it must be crash damage and quoting a small scratch on the saddle as evidence of a crash. The bike did not crash and has not been dropped. Worried that this is a serious safety issue that is being passed off on users. Do I want to pay 700 Swiss francs for a replacement (and wait another four months) when I know this one was faulty.
If you have had faulty carbon on a Trek bike, or indeed any other failure that they refused to cover under warranty please let me know

May 14, 2021
No it broke underneath where the cables enter the handlebar essentially where the least carbon is. The first thing I did was check to see if it was a set up error by the dealer but interestingly they are not being looked at. If I could figure out how to attach a photo I would show you. This isn’t a torque issue sadly.

Reactions: PEGAZ-HECTOR
Sep 7, 2021
I just notice mine cracked too.. lucky it was just partial so no crash.. but seems to be in a similar position.. on the top flat area...I'm also a pretty light rider and not that strong.. so surprise this would even happen for just normal use... Only have had the bike for 3 months or so.. I'm taking it to the store today.

May 14, 2021
I just notice mine cracked too.. lucky it was just partial so no crash.. but seems to be in a similar position.. on the top flat area...I'm also a pretty light rider and not that strong.. so surprise this would even happen for just normal use... Only have had the bike for 3 months or so.. I'm taking it to the store today.
Let me know how it goes as they said mine has to be ‘crash damage’ and took the shop saying it was not and honoring the warranty to get it covered- 4 months later and still waiting for it to arrive. But I can buy a brand new Emonda with one on in the shop today! Hope the customer service is better for you,.

Sep 7, 2021
When i took it they did check and asked me if it maybe was due to a crash.. in my case unlike you my bar was broken but it didn't cause me to fall so bike is spotless... So they believe me when i said that i had not crashed (i felt they didn't initially until they checked in detail). So they will be replacing the bar for me... Not sure how long it will take, but overall they have been quite helpful... (I bought it at a trek store) . Sorry to hear it wasn't the case for you.. but i bet if i had scratches on it even from a different event my store probably would have been similar to yours.

I'm assuming I will be using my winter bike for a few days/weeks.

M.

Oct 13, 2021
Anybody else had a handlebar failure with Trek bikes. I have a brand new Trek Emonda SLR 7. Had done less than 1000km and hit some rough road at 35km per hour. Handlebar snapped very similar to what we saw on Canyon - broke at the place where the cables enter the handlebar.
Trek are insisting that it must be crash damage and quoting a small scratch on the saddle as evidence of a crash. The bike did not crash and has not been dropped. Worried that this is a serious safety issue that is being passed off on users. Do I want to pay 700 Swiss francs for a replacement (and wait another four months) when I know this one was faulty.
If you have had faulty carbon on a Trek bike, or indeed any other failure that they refused to cover under warranty please let me know
David, I have experienced the same problem with you on my Trek Emonda SLR7

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS