• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Handlebars & Shifters

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
With the introduction of new materials, specifically carbon fiber, I see more and more handlebars getting more ergonomic than ever. I own one, which is great, but... I think the shifters are not up to that level yet. Shouldn't shifter manufacturers leave that task to handlebar makers? so they can do what they know best (mechanics)?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
the sti/egro lever is an amazing compact bit of kit. it works!

i met the guy last year who spent 18 months on the new dura ace 7900 lever. nothing else.

the egronomics are improving and agreed not there yet. but you gotta give campagnolo with their 11 spd chorus/ record egro lever. comfort+ grip+ function.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I find the SRAM levers to be the most comfortable I have ever used. They are based on a concept of a 'flat smooth transition' from the bar to the lever.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I tried several iterations of shimano's dura ace, they're comfortable, but not there yet, I haven't tried the latest one, although I heard it's very comfortable... so I heard about the new campy... My opinion, I think is a matter of hand positioning, I also do off-road biking and the hand position and levers on these are way better and more comfortable. Maybe someone should go back to the drawing board...
Thank you for replying guys!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
bikingbadger said:
Apologise for hijacking this post but anyone have some solid info for setting up hand and lever position ?

Best answer is "whatever feels best to you". Assuming you are talking about road handlebars: Old school brake levers (pre-integrated shifters) would typically be set up so the bottom tip of the lever was in line with the bottom of the handlebars (use a ruler held against the underside of the bottom flat). Integrated shifters and ergo bend bars complicate matter greatly because the angle the shifter comes off the bars affects your wrist angle, the drops on the bars often wind up too far away from the shift levers to comfortably reach. Shimano people seem to like them positioned a little higher on the bars than Campagnolo people.

Keep in mind that this is the opinion of one who thinks shallow drop round bend bars with Campy brake levers are the most comfortable, more than 5 gears in the back and 2 up front are useless weight, downtube shifters are the fastest and most accurate and all those cables coming off the front end of the bike look ugly.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
bikingbadger said:
Apologise for hijacking this post but anyone have some solid info for setting up hand and lever position ?

Flat transition bar to hoods. Before getting 2009 Campagnolo, I never rode on the hoods, as I never had any that felt good to me. I'm setup wiht the drops 100% parallel to the ground, and the transition fromt he upper bar to hoods as flat and parallel to the ground as possible.

Oh, Almost forgot, several types of brifters have adjustable reach. Campy has large-hands inserts that change setup angle. Some Shimano sets have a short-reach insert (which my wife uses).

May 16, 2009
Visit site
correcaminos said:
With the introduction of new materials, specifically carbon fiber, I see more and more handlebars getting more ergonomic than ever. I own one, which is great, but... I think the shifters are not up to that level yet. Shouldn't shifter manufacturers leave that task to handlebar makers? so they can do what they know best (mechanics)?

I'm investigating the same thing. I found that PRO is owned by Shimano so the PRO bars fit the Shimano hoods really well. I got to demo some and the combo made for a really nice flat platform. Not sure how the PRO stuff would work for other brands of hoods.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
I find the SRAM levers to be the most comfortable I have ever used. They are based on a concept of a 'flat smooth transition' from the bar to the lever.

+1 on the SRAM lever shape. I had no experience with them until I was hanging out in the main tent before Tour of California in 2008 and one of the exhibitors let me touch his personal bike. I was amazed how nicely the hood nestled in my hand. I resolved that I had to get a SRAM group on my next bike.

Then I cheesed it and bought Ultegra on sale.:(

I'm in the market for a new pair of carbon handlebars, it's been about 3 years since my last purchase. It seems all I can find are the shallow drop 128-130mm variety. Did I miss something? Is there a reason for this? Everything else I have is 150mm drop so I'd like to stick with that. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
correcaminos said:

is this a coherent thought or question? I have no clue what you are asking here?

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Shallow bars are good for people who already have their handlebars really low and ride on their hoods 90% of the time. Plus having a bigger drop can be uncomfortable for people who are not very flexible.

Fatclimber said:
I'm in the market for a new pair of carbon handlebars, it's been about 3 years since my last purchase. It seems all I can find are the shallow drop 128-130mm variety. Did I miss something? Is there a reason for this? Everything else I have is 150mm drop so I'd like to stick with that. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
bikingbadger said:

First, I select a bar that has a square bend. That is, the ends of the drops are almost parallel to the flats on top. Second, I set the angle to what's comfortable for me. I like the flats on top angling down about a degree, mainly to get a better angle on the drops. Third, I position the levers to my preference. This is angled very slightly upward to compensate for the angle of the bar. The levers are also straight ahead, although angling them inward a bit can help smaller hands cover the levers for shifting and braking.

I've been using old-style Shimano levers, 5600 and 7800, for about five years and I'm not complaining. It's a clear improvement over what we had in the '70s and '80s.

Bar and lever design have clearly changed the way we set up bikes. The hoods are longer so you can get more fingers around them, and the flat top of the the bar has eliminated the old "drape of the hand over the curve" position. On the other hand, I have a new position, "stretched out with the hands over the shifter pivot knobs." Also, to keep the levers at the same level, the drop from the saddle to the top of the bar has increased. I don't mind the lower hand position when I'm riding the tops.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
bikingbadger said:

First, I select a bar that has a square bend. That is, the ends of the drops are almost parallel to the flats on top. Second, I set the angle to what's comfortable for me. I like the flats on top angling down about a degree, mainly to get a better angle on the drops. Third, I position the levers to my preference. This is angled very slightly upward to compensate for the angle of the bar. The levers are also straight ahead, although angling them inward a bit can help smaller hands cover the levers for shifting and braking.

I've been using old-style Shimano levers, 5600 and 7800, for about five years and I'm not complaining. It's a clear improvement over what we had in the '70s and '80s.

BroDeal said:
Does anyone else not like ergonomic bars?
Yes, especially the new shallow drop ergo bars for what used to be the golf crowd :mad:

The tops are too long, the drop is too shallow for an agressive postion and you can't reach the shifters properly when riding in them. Certainly not for racing - give me some 3T Rotundos. End rant :D

sakdempa said:
Shallow bars are good for people who already have their handlebars really low and ride on their hoods 90% of the time. Plus having a bigger drop can be uncomfortable for people who are not very flexible.

Ok, makes good sense. Thanks for the explanation. I can't help but think they'll look goofy on my bike. Look like they're for juniors. Oh well, where's my credit card

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Does anyone else not like ergonomic bars?

OK its all about the good old days for you right???

what exactly do you mean by ergo? short and shallow isnt exactly ergo. one of my threads might be but

seriously ergo as flat top? or the flat spot in the drop like Ritchy did? never liked the ergo drop

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Yes, especially the new shallow drop ergo bars for what used to be the golf crowd :mad:

The tops are too long, the drop is too shallow for an agressive postion and you can't reach the shifters properly when riding in them. Certainly not for racing - give me some 3T Rotundos. End rant :D

Well it does have to do a bit with frame design now and all the shorter head tubes

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Fatclimber said:
Ok, makes good sense. Thanks for the explanation. I can't help but think they'll look goofy on my bike. Look like they're for juniors. Oh well, where's my credit card

they are good for fat people
:D

TRENDING THREADS