• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Home Computer

I'm almost certain that we have discussed home tech before, but no search is bringing it up...

How do you calibrate the brightness/contrast on your PC monitor? I know how to push the buttons, but I mean what are the 'correct' settings? Does it just come down to how it looks to me, or is there an 'optimal' setting?

I'm almost certain that we have discussed home tech before, but no search is bringing it up...

How do you calibrate the brightness/contrast on your PC monitor? I know how to push the buttons, but I mean what are the 'correct' settings? Does it just come down to how it looks to me, or is there an 'optimal' setting?
This.

I usually like my screen on the dim side when I'm just reading because it's easier on my eyes, but if I want more brightness and contrast (like if I'm watching a movie or looking at pictures and whatnot) I'll brighten it. So, it's all individual.

PS - Also want to add that (being I automatically presume everyone's monitor adjustment is different), if you post your own pictures that you had taken you'd want to adjust your screen settings to somewhere-in-between when editing and saving the pictures. (I err on the bright side because if the pictures are really, really dark to begin with they may be too difficult to adjust and see on the receiver's end. If that makes any sense.)

Last edited:
Might be relevant to mention f.lux here. This is a simple app that automatically adjusts the brightness and colors on your computer screen according to the time of sunrise/sunset where you live. It's supposed to aid in sleeping.
Sorry Merckx, I meant to reply. I had heard about flux, but the reason I heard about it is because people at work were using it and it wasn't playing nice. I don't know the details but the tech people said never to use it (we got one of those finger wagging emails). That may be due to something with our network, but I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS