• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hopes for the Giro

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
With the Giro fast approaching I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread. What are you hoping to see this May. Maybe you want to see an epic long range attack, a certain rider wear pink, or maybe just good weather and no stages canceled. So what are your hopes for the Giro?

My hopes
-A pink jersey and overall win for Nairito.
-Plenty of stage wins for Purito to make up for not taking the overall (should he not be able to).
-An exciting battle for the GC going all the way through the race (I would be okay with domination if it was Quintana doing the dominating however ;)).
-A top 10 for Aru.
-A final good ride and good final placing by cuddles in his swan song.
-Success for Bardiani and their talanted and young Italian roster.
-Every stage to be run in full.
-Duarte (and Colombia as well) to redeem himself/themselves some.
-A podium for Dan Martin.
-No scandals or positives like we've seen in previous years (although discussion of this has to be limited to hoping there won't be any, otherwise taken to the clinic).
-And finally, and epic long range attack. Be it a rider from a break or a GC contender. Something like what Rabottini did would just be fantastic.

I'm hoping Quintana can get his breakthrough GT win. Im also hoping Basso can have one final good show but Im not convinced of that. Dan Martin to also impress and gain a top 5.

Hopefully the mountain stages have plenty of action and with Quintana in form he will surely attack in most of them.

Finally a nice breakaway win for Kennaugh will be nice, I hope he doesn't try and just ride for an anonymous top 25 finish and instead go stage hunting where he could actually do something.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, I hope that Quintana wins the GC with at least one MTF stage. Secondly, I want the race to be a battle between at least two climbers (probably Quintana and Purito), with plenty of epic duels on the slopes, hopefully going all the way to the final mountain stage. Would love to see Cadel have a good Giro too, perhaps win a stage, and for Aru to come good as well. :)

- Scarponi, Aru, Landa trio to secure the team classification for Astana
- Aru and Scarponi to top 10
- Quintana to win after a long range attack
- JRod to be climbing really good, but loose the gc to Quintana after a long range attack :)D)
- Bardiani win atleast 1 stage
- Some unknown italians to get their big breakthrough (Zardini ftw ;))
-EBH to get a victory - he deserves to get something after a couple of difficlt years -
- a hard fight for the mountains jersey (voeckler - Kess like sprints up to the top of every mountain is awesome)
- No boring stages

Afrank said:
With the Giro fast approaching I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread. What are you hoping to see this May. Maybe you want to see an epic long range attack, a certain rider wear pink, or maybe just good weather and no stages canceled. So what are your hopes for the Giro?

My hopes
-A pink jersey and overall win for Nairito.
-Plenty of stage wins for Purito to make up for not taking the overall (should he not be able to).
-An exciting battle for the GC going all the way through the race (I would be okay with domination if it was Quintana doing the dominating however ;)).
-A top 10 for Aru.
-A final good ride and good final placing by cuddles in his swan song.
-Success for Bardiani and their talanted and young Italian roster.
-Every stage to be run in full.
-Duarte (and Colombia as well) to redeem himself/themselves some.
-A podium for Dan Martin.
-No scandals or positives like we've seen in previous years (although discussion of this has to be limited to hoping there won't be any, otherwise taken to the clinic).
-And finally, and epic long range attack. Be it a rider from a break or a GC contender. Something like what Rabottini did would just be fantastic.

So you don't want cheaters to be caught? :eek:

- Being able to finish my route analysis before the end of this week
- 40 riders breakaway getting 15 minutes before stage 8
- no snow
- lots of rain but no serious crashes
- At least a stage with GC action at more than 10 km to go

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
For me just watching this guy come so close in GT's, Ardennes Classics, WC.
I gotta go with Purito!
I would love to see a young rider on the podium. And Hey lets hope he comes from my Team! Rafa Majka

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Somewhat classic, but:

Quintana to conquer Monte Zoncolan.

Purito to win stage 8 by more than 20 seconds.

Majka to win a stage.

Sky to skip all talk about GC and focus entirely on stage wins for once. At least one of EBH (he really deserves it). They could win a handful with with the right timing.

Dan Martin to compete and complete. For a top 10 at least.

The Colombians to shine on mountain stages.

Mezgec to win a couple of sprints in semi-hilly stages.

- Lots of attacks and an exciting giro in general
- No GC guys out of GC in the first week due to crashes/mechanicals or what so ever
- Duarte to do well in either GC or by winning at least a stage.
- D Martin to do well and prove he can compete in GT GCs
- Zardini or Rosa to break through
- Kelderman and Aru to do well

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Im also hoping Basso can have one final good show but Im not convinced of that.

This was exactly my first thought in this thread. I'd also like great fights in the mountains and the GC not to be decided too early. Am I the only one who doesn't quite like Dan Martin?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
- Lots of attacks and an exciting giro in general
- No GC guys out of GC in the first week due to crashes/mechanicals or what so ever
- Duarte to do well in either GC or by winning at least a stage.
- D Martin to do well and prove he can compete in GT GCs
- Zardini or Rosa to break through
- Kelderman and Aru to do well

Would be nice to see Martin actually focus on GC, even if it's just for 6th place or something, so that we can get a sense of whether he can at least be up there if he tries.

- Quintana to take the overall by a large margin, to see him win at least one stage.
- Rodriguez to take 2nd and win a couple of stages.
- Cadel to take 3rd, defensive in the mountains, show his old tt form.
- Ryder to win a stage.
- to see lots of aggressive attacking in the mountains by all the climbers.
- Kittel (by some miracle) to not win a single stage, but for some reason he'll finish the whole Giro and wear himself out for the Tour (in my dreams :))....
- Petacchi to win at least one stage.
- Matthews to win a stage