• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Horner Vents!

In ToC press conference Chris Horner after his triumphant ToC stage win, stated that he was insulted by not being invited to the ToC opening press conference saying that his accomplishments are unappreciated and unrecognized. Additionally he stated that, with the exception of Alberto Contador, he feels that there isn't a rider in the world that can drop him on a climb!

Discuss.

Note: I felt that this topic should have a thread of its own. If the moderators feel otherwise we know what will happen.:D

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
In ToC press conference Chris Horner after his triumphant ToC stage win, stated that he was insulted by not being invited to the ToC opening press conference saying that his accomplishments are unappreciated and unrecognized. Additionally he stated that, with the exception of Alberto Contador, he feels that there isn't a rider in the world that can drop him on a climb!

Discuss.

Note: I felt that this topic should have a thread of its own. If the moderators feel otherwise we know what will happen.:D

I think Chris is being a bit generous with the Alberto comment.
Chris would have dropped Alberto on either Sierra or Etna imo.

Angliru said:

Discuss.

I wonder if Andy will give it a shot on Mt. Baldy? Somehow I doubt it. :p

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I think Chris is being a bit generous with the Alberto comment.
Chris would have dropped Alberto on either Sierra or Etna imo.

So, do you have a hatred of Contador or is it merely your love of Lance and his apostles? I understand (and appreciate) taking a contrarian stance, but I am not sure how far up the crazy curve you want to go.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

Discuss.

Do you think Andy Schleck will have a chat with him today? Perhaps a challenge/bet on a MTF in the Tdf?

The Hitch said:
Did Horner really say no one other than Contador can drop him?

It's not bragging if it's true.

hornerasscrackin.jpg

The Hitch said:
Did Horner really say no one other than Contador can drop him?

Yes.

Certainly when you have teammates such as Alberto Contador or Lance Armstrong, you can’t have five RadioShack riders or Astana riders sitting up here at the same time,” said Horner. “But at the same time it’s pretty simple to see that in the last four years my form has been with the best in the world and with the exception of Alberto Contador I don’t think there’s anyone that can drop me.”

Ten characters and all that.

I think it all depends on whether Alberto drinks beetroot juice as well...

... but hey, I'm w Polish - or at least what Polish really meant - that Horner's comments sounded more like hot air than anything else. We all know how nemesis works wonders on hubris, so won't be surprised to see the ToC slip out of his hands...

There are two things you don't do: Put baby in a corner and drop Alberto up a mountain side. And Horner won't drop Andy either when push comes to shove - that only happens in small, warm-up races...

JPM London said:

... but hey, I'm w Polish - or at least what Polish really meant - that Horner's comments sounded more like hot air than anything else. We all know how nemesis works wonders on hubris, so won't be surprised to see the ToC slip out of his hands...

There are two things you don't do: Put baby in a corner and drop Alberto up a mountain side. And Horner won't drop Andy either when push comes to shove - that only happens in small, warm-up races...

Oh snap. You just called the ToC a "small, warm-up" race. LiveStrong is opening the troll gates as we speak.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
So, do you have a hatred of Contador or is it merely your love of Lance and his apostles? I understand (and appreciate) taking a contrarian stance, but I am not sure how far up the crazy curve you want to go.

C'mon, this has nothing to do with Lance.

I'm just looking at the hard cold facts.
Science and numbers.
Chris puts out more power.
Especially when adjusted for age.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
If the 12:18 for the last 4k at Sierra Road are correct than he is really in extraordinary shape, averaging >410 Watts or 6.4w/Kg what is pretty impressive even for a 5.6 km climb and probably a performance only Contador could match right now.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
mulletCobra said:
Hopefully he gets a chance to back that statement up in the TdF.

I agree. He get let off his leash so rarely, that it's somewhat hard to imagine what he could do against top guys on top form - where ever that may be... Tour or otherwise. I have serious doubts that he's as good as he's suggesting... but he's good enough to make me want to see what he can do without the leash.

JPM London said:

Saying your with Polish makes us all question your sanity. ;)

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do they insist on wasting guys like Kloden & Horner for Leipheimer? I mean surely they could find someone else in the peloton who would at least have a little more personality while getting dropped than Bottle does.

TRENDING THREADS