• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!
How To 

How Can Cycling Reduce Belly Fat And Weight

If you are trying to lose weight and belly fat, cycling can be extremely effective. Losing weight isn't easy - and keeping it off can prove even harder. But with the proper regimen, a bit of patience and a mountain of dedication, you'll find yourself well on your way to slimming down.

1. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
High intensity workouts are the most effective way to burn fat and lose weight. If you're serious about seeing a lower number when you're standing on the scale, HIIT will be key. The idea is to push yourself to your limit, but not overdo it.

A standard HIIT cycling workout looks something like this. First, warm Up for 10-15 minutes. Once you're loose and feeling good, go hard for 30 seconds. (Classify "going hard" as 8 out of 10 on your personal exertion scale.) After an all-out sprint, slow down for 60-90 seconds depending on your experience level. Repeat this four more times, for a total of five reps. Cool down for 3-5 minutes of easy riding. Repeat all of the above two more times, for a total of three sets. Finish with a 5-10 minute cool down.



2. Low Intensity Workouts
Balance is everything. HIIT workouts should only make up 20% of your total exercise in a given week. Lower intensity workouts make up the other 80%. And while slower, lower volume workouts aren't as flashy and can sometimes feel like a slog, the long-term benefits cannot be argued with.

Low intensity workouts build and strengthen slow-twitch muscle fibers. Fast-twitch muscle fibers are more directly important to calorie burning activities, but slow-twitch strength is what will provide you with the long term stamina needed to keep weight off over time. Remember: weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. And while you'll need to sprint sometimes along the way, slow and steady is what gets you across the finish line.

3. Fasted Riding
Fasted riding (cycling on an empty stomach) can prove highly successful. When exercising, your body burns off carbohydrates for fuel. For more information on carb cycling, read our full guide. However, if you exercise on an empty stomach, your body instead burns fat to fuel your workout.

You need to avoid food and drink (other than water) for at least 12 hours before a fasted ride. If you plan to head out at 9am, you should stop eating no later than 9pm the night before. Fasted rides should never exceed 2 hours. Much like HIIT cycling, fasted rides should never be over-used - and twice a week should be your limit. Exceeding this will be too much stress on your body and will make your weight loss goals more difficult long term.

4. Off-Bike Exercise
As you now know, balance is everything. Supplementing your on-bike routine with cross-training is healthy and will give you a leg up in your quest to shed some pounds. Additional aerobic exercise in particular is highly recommended. Start by adding planking and the "lying down bicycle" exercise to your every day routine. If you want to go further, consider joining a class like Zumba.

Including yoga or pilates in your weekly routine is extremely helpful as well. Remember, avoiding injury is paramount to achieving your goal. You can't lose weight without regular, effective exercise... and you can’t exercise regularly and effectively if you're hurt.



5. Eat Right and Get Ample Rest

In that vein, all-around healthy living is the best way to insure you get down to your ideal weight. Eat healthier, not less; your body needs nourishment to get you where you want to be. Avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, alcohol and saturated fats. But keep in mind, eating too many low-fat foods will lead to a high calorie intake. And calories are turned into fat during digestion. If you don't already know, count your calories to figure out what your daily intake is. Start by cutting out 500 per day.

Finally, allow for plenty of rest and recovery. A full 8 hours of sleep per night will make a world of difference in lowering your stress levels and adding stamina. When sticking to a regular exercise plan of about five workouts per week, you should be wiped out early enough to get a full night's sleep - and will begin reaping the benefits quickly.



Follow to these five simple steps and you'll be slimming down before you know it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS