How will the ASO Act

How do you guys think the ASO will act

  • Leave the 7 years with no Champion

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Jun 28, 2009
568
0
0
What do you guys think and also what do you guys think is the right decision. I tend to believe they will let Lance keep the wins because it turns into a bigger sh*t storm than it already is if they don't
 
Jul 18, 2011
36
0
0
Clemson Cycling said:
What do you guys think and also what do you guys think is the right decision. I tend to believe they will let Lance keep the wins because it turns into a bigger sh*t storm than it already is if they don't
Nope, can't let that happen. That'll be step backwards. Riis got to keep his cos statute of limitations. And besides, this one's got way too much publicity.
 
May 10, 2011
247
0
0
It would be complete folly and hypocrisy to award them to anyone else. Lets strip them from one person who doped and give to another who doped? I'd like to believe that they'd have some common sense here. They really should just not award them to anyone else and leave them blank. Having said all of that, it is a little disheartening to have nearly a decade of Tour victories unawarded so I can understand that they may want to award them. However, the sport brought it upon themselves. They're finally eating their crow.
 
Jun 18, 2012
299
0
0
Part of me says troll the hell out of Armstrong and do #2, but #3 is the only valid option really.
 
Aug 3, 2009
169
0
0
Riis might be a precedent. The races outside the statute of limitations he keeps, the later ones get handed down.
 
Jun 28, 2009
568
0
0
sagard said:
Riis might be a precedent. The races outside the statute of limitations he keeps, the later ones get handed down.
I think that will be the precedent for their reasoning for it at the end of the day as well. 7 wins with an asterisk. Also one would think the USA Cycling will cut ties with the USADA.
 
May 14, 2010
5,306
2
0
It's a sad thing to have the titles be vacant for seven straight years. Sad for Armstrong, sad for the race, sad for fans.

It's a sad testament to corruption and to a sad time when doping and payoffs at the highest levels got entirely out of hand. A sad testament to greed and stupidity - and there is plenty of both to go around.

But to leave the record as is, even with asterisks attached, would not be acceptable. Too much like a wink and a nod - we've seen too much of that. And to move the previous cheater out and his co-cheaters in, would essentially be sweeping dirt under the rug: just pretend nothing happened.

So the only option left is to leave the winner blank for all those years. And then make absolutely certain this never again has to be done.
 
Jun 28, 2009
568
0
0
Maxiton said:
It's a sad thing to have the titles be vacant for seven straight years. Sad for Armstrong, sad for the race, sad for fans.

It's a sad testament to corruption and to a sad time when doping and payoffs at the highest levels got entirely out of hand. A sad testament to greed and stupidity - and there is plenty of both to go around.

But to leave the record as is, even with asterisks attached, would not be acceptable. Too much like a wink and a nod - we've seen too much of that. And to move the previous cheater out and his co-cheaters in, would essentially be sweeping dirt under the rug: just pretend nothing happened.

So the only option left is to leave the winner blank for all those years. And then make absolutely certain this never again has to be done.
Based on the reactions in the cycling community, it sounds like they are not ready to move on to a blank slate. At the end of the day there never will be a blank slate. This ruling is not going to change the way Team Sky or any other team approach things.
 
Sorry, misread the question. I voted what I would like to see happen. I think they will leave Lance with his titles but with an asterik like Riis and just hope people will forget about it in years to come.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Clemson Cycling said:
What do you guys think and also what do you guys think is the right decision. I tend to believe they will let Lance keep the wins because it turns into a bigger sh*t storm than it already is if they don't
The real question is "who gives a monkies"?

Nor is it a big sh*t storm - a guy who doped for the majority of his career has had it all stripped away. Good.

This is like Strickland and who gets the jersies piece.
Some appear to attach some emotional value- but really, they are $5 bits of yellow cloth sold for $70 - and as they were earned by fraud, deception, bullying and doping even that value is worthless.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Maxiton said:
It's a sad thing to have the titles be vacant for seven straight years. Sad for Armstrong, sad for the race, sad for fans.
Its not sad for those who want to see a clean sport, its a HUGE improvement. I won't say its a happy time but it is a time to clean house and take note of what is wrong. We all thought the Festina affair caused a change but was there ever really a change, nope. Maybe this will be the change?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MaxVO2 said:
Nope, can't let that happen. That'll be step backwards. Riis got to keep his cos statute of limitations. And besides, this one's got way too much publicity.
Although in ideal case they would leave those titles blank i don't believe they will because they care a lot about the tradition and i don't think they have the guts to do that - maybe if it were smaller number of titles, but 7 in a row - too much.

Changing all 7 of them giving them to other people is even worse for ASO than blanking and that one is the least possible.

Riis' situation was a bit different - he admitted and didn't have WADA chasing his ***, right and it was just one title?
Here we have 7 titles and USADA issued a lifetime ban and erasure of all results from 1998 which complicates things additionally in this case. What is the relation of ASO to WADA?
Anyways, if anything will happen they will probably leave those titles to Lance with special mark next to those titles(will WADA be satisfied with this). This conservatism is one of the reasons that cycling will have hard time in attempt to clean the sport.

I think LA is counting on that and then he would keep his titles and not lose in the court - he would be really happy with this cut of losses. In few decades no one will remember these things and history books will still list his name and the mark will be relativized and become insignificant with time.

And all of that makes me sad because now is a great time to make some big changes to how pro-cycling people think and feel.

Well I hope at least that the evidence will leak into public and the court of public will have a chance to make their ruling. USADA says it has overwhelming evidence - that could possibly make UCI/ASO reconsider their way of dealing with doping. Especially if fans boycott their events(gosh that would be hard)!
 
The ASO and UCI will have to follow the USADA ruling and strip Lance of his titles.
Whether they will hand over the wins to Ulrich, Basso, Beloki & Kloden or leave it vacant is anybody's guess.
It would be better to keep them vacant.
Who knows if Klodi will also get busted for Freiburg or whether Basso will confess to him actually doping after he retires
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY