• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hurstville City Council to remove velodrome from Hurstville Oval

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey, Just signed it. How many signatures are you hoping to get??

By the small photo it looks like its in perfect condition?

Hopefully you are able to save it!

Julian

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Garry Allen said:
Hurstville City Council is currently talking about removing the outdoor velodrome around Hurstville Oval so AFL games can be played there. Many famous track riders (not just Australian) have trained and raced there. You can sign an electronic petition opposing this by going to http://www.gopetition.com/petition/44499.html

I'm going to help them tear it down. Track cycling is a waste of time, money, end effort. It's a dead sport.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe one of the best ways to save it is talk up the history of the oval itself and the long-term presence of the white concrete track.

Don Bradman was a St George club player; I imagine he's clicked his spikes over the track in the 30's.

It's a very picturesque oval - easily one the best in Sydney.

hurstville.jpg

Garry Allen said:
Hurstville City Council is currently talking about removing the outdoor velodrome around Hurstville Oval so AFL games can be played there.
Removing the track for Aussie Rules in Sydney??
The Sydney Morning Herald doesn't even report
on the Swannies even though they haven't lost
yet this season after the first three rounds.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Signed, best of luck.

Councils should be supporting clubs that promote a healthy lifestyle.

Reading between the lines it appears that the AFL is hard at work behind the scenes on their expansion plans.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cycling is more alive in Sydney than AFL is. AFL is trying to open a new Footbal team of which the people which live in NSW don't know much about nor do they care for the sport. The main sports are rugby and cricket.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge there is only one AFL club in the St George area, Penshurst Panthers who have the main field at Olds Park. Popularity wise, while school kids have expressed some interest in playing, the 3 main winter sports in the area are soccer and rugby league for boys and netball for girls

May 27, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to help them tear it down. Track cycling is a waste of time, money, end effort. It's a dead sport.

You don't know much about cycling then, especially Australian cycling

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
AFL will fail in their attempt to field another AFL club in NSW. People do not care about the sport. It is well known that the AFL are using "bully boy" tatics to push AFL into the mainstream in NSW and if they step on anyone in their attempts to do so then they don't really care.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
AFL will fail in their attempt to field another AFL club in NSW. People do not care about the sport. It is well known that the AFL are using "bully boy" tatics to push AFL into the mainstream in NSW and if they step on anyone in their attempts to do so then they don't really care.

That's the way they play the game today: full of king hits and cynical cheap shots. Culture comes from the top down. Bullies at the top, bullies all the way to the bottom.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
That's the way they play the game today: full of king hits and cynical cheap shots. Culture comes from the top down. Bullies at the top, bullies all the way to the bottom.

No... you must have mixed up the AFL with the rednecks of Rugby League. :D

The AFL game has been sanitised to such an extent that it is barely recognisable from the hurly burly of years ago. PC society. That's not to say the players of today don't go in hard... they do, but cheap shots and king hit's would get a player rubbed out for a long stretch.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
No... you must have mixed up the AFL with the rednecks of Rugby League. :D

The AFL game has been sanitised to such an extent that it is barely recognisable from the hurly burly of years ago. PC society. That's not to say the players of today don't go in hard... they do, but cheap shots and king hit's would get a player rubbed out for a long stretch.

They still do cheap shots, but they are more sneaky about it. I guess that makes them more cheap.

This is a huge disappointment.

I raced out at the Hurstville 'drome quite a few times as a junior when I lived in Sydney. It will be a sad day if it gets replaced by an aerial ping-pong stadium.

Yet another reason not to like that egotist Andrew Demetriou :mad:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mayor of Hurstville, Cr Philip Sansom today declared his support for the retention of the velodrome at Hurstville Oval.

Mayor Sansom said he has also discussed the issue with a number of his fellow Councillors in an effort to secure their cooperation.

“I am pleased to say that all the Councillors I have spoken to are of the same opinion – the velodrome should be retained at Hurstville Oval,” he said.

“This sporting facility has played a vital role in developing countless national and international cycling sports stars in its 100-year history.

“These cycling greats include the late Dunc Gray, **** Paris, Gary Sutton, Martin Vinnicombe, Steve Wooldridge, Julie Speight, Kathleen Shannon and Kaarle McCulloch.

“The velodrome, which is home to St George Cycling Club, is a cornerstone of Hurstville’s sporting identity and should remain so well into the future.”

In 2006, the former Mayor and General Manager commenced investigations to relocate the velodrome in an effort to attract more first-class sporting events to Hurstville Oval.

It has been a very lengthy process however following recent community and stakeholder consultation, it has become clear that residents and cyclists want the velodrome to stay.

Mayor Sansom is calling on the State Government to contribute $1 million to restore and maintain the velodrome to its former glory and the improvement of this important historic oval for future generations.

“Over the past few weeks, the new Minister for Sport and Recreation, Graham Annesley, and the Member for Oatley, Mark Coure, have expressed their support for retaining the velodrome,” he said.

“I strongly urge them to consider providing funding to enable Council to carry out the upgrade works required for this regional facility.”

Mayor Sansom said the velodrome boasts a very long and proud sporting history in the community.

“Since 1956, members of the St George Cycling Club have formed part of every Olympic or Commonwealth Games,” he said.
“This is an outstanding achievement and it is all due to the fact that these cyclists were able to train at Hurstville velodrome.

“Both the local and national cycling fraternities are lobbying hard to retain the velodrome at Hurstville Oval.

“I urge all of my fellow Councillors to unite together and preserve Hurstville velodrome for the community and the development of future cycling champions.”

The Mayor, the Minister of Sport, Member for Oatley, etc all want the velodrome. Is it just one councillor lobbying for it's destruction?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Its probably worth pointing out that Philip Sansom and the former mayor, Vince Badalati were both elected on a Labor ticket. Philip Sansom has served previously as Mayor and has been on the Council for some time. The decision in 2005 would have been supported by a majority of the Labor Councillors to allow it to proceed.
I think the Council had its eye on the prize of AFL funding. And they were somewhat shocked by the opposition to the removal of the velodrome, even from the stupid b..ches from Oatley West

TRENDING THREADS