• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd deserving wearer of green jersey

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have no doubt that Cav is the fastest man in the world in a straight line, but as well as growing up mentally he needs to appreciate that there is more to both the Tour de France and the green jersey than simply sitting in a train until the last 100 metres of every flat stage and taking stage wins. His comments regarding the green jersey being 'tainted' are hilarious at best. He shouldn't have been demoted a couple of days back but he should appreciate the fact that Hushovd despite winning only one stage win has worked his *** off to get the green jersey. Look at today, he has bridged across to the break whilst on a Cat 1 climb to try and pick up some more points at the Intermediate Sprint. Where is Cav? Despite the fact that he doesn't have the skills required to pull off such a manoeuvre never mind the interest, it seems that unless you have a train of 6 riders giving you a lead out for sprints, they are not worth chasing. Good for him, but the green jersey as won by the Zabels and Kelly's of this world require more than trains, leadouts and happily finishing 35mins down every other stage.

Well won Thor and hope you are still wearing it in Paris.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Holy moly Batman!

I've been out a couple of errands and just tuned into todays stage, only to find Hushovd up front after two Cat 1 climbs going for more points... amazing! No doubt he deserves the green jersey.

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
Spanky said:
Where is Cav?

Taking it easy in the bunch - just as he should be!
What's the point of him trying to win a jersey that's already bought and paid for?

'Revenge is a dish best eaten cold', and all that...
crazy.gif

Just for those who might have forgotten; there's a big TT tomorrow and a climb up the Ventoux on Saturday. Want fresh legs for the finale in Paris? Then don't go out on a suicide break busting your balls for 6 points and ensuring you've got dead legs by Sunday! :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
frameforum said:
Taking it easy in the bunch -as he should be!
What's the point of him trying to win a jersey that's already bought and paid for? 'Revenge is a dish best eaten cold', and all that...
crazy.gif

Just for those who might have forgotten; there's a big TT tomorrow and a climb up the Ventoux on Saturday. Want fresh legs for the finale in Paris? Then don't go out on a suicide break busting your balls for 6 points and ensuring you've got dead legs by Sunday!

What ever dude...Cav is not in the bunch...he is behind it!! Cav would not win the green anyway. Who are you? Cavs ball washer?

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
TRDean said:
What ever dude...Cav is not in the bunch...he is behind it!! Cav would not win the green anyway. Who are you? Cavs ball washer?

The stage isn't over yet... I expect Cav willl roll across the line a few lengths in front of Hushovd, but with better legs and not thinking to himself:

"what was the effin' point of making that stupid break? No wonder the bunch are all laughing at me"
:D:D:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Spanky said:
I have no doubt that Cav is the fastest man in the world in a straight line, but as well as growing up mentally he needs to appreciate that there is more to both the Tour de France and the green jersey than simply sitting in a train until the last 100 metres of every flat stage and taking stage wins. His comments regarding the green jersey being 'tainted' are hilarious at best. He shouldn't have been demoted a couple of days back but he should appreciate the fact that Hushovd despite winning only one stage win has worked his *** off to get the green jersey. Look at today, he has bridged across to the break whilst on a Cat 1 climb to try and pick up some more points at the Intermediate Sprint. Where is Cav? Despite the fact that he doesn't have the skills required to pull off such a manoeuvre never mind the interest, it seems that unless you have a train of 6 riders giving you a lead out for sprints, they are not worth chasing. Good for him, but the green jersey as won by the Zabels and Kelly's of this world require more than trains, leadouts and happily finishing 35mins down every other stage.

Well won Thor and hope you are still wearing it in Paris.

+1. Agree with your sentiments entirely. The "green jersey stain" statement was immature and not worthy of a champion. Columbia stuffed that stage up by trying to protect George. Cav didn't sprint and he would have avoided that situation of he had sprinted. I agree that he should not have been relegated, but in the heat of the moment you can understand why Hushovd thought he had come off his line and why he appealed. The rest is up to the jury. Cav should learn more from Robbie - remember how McEwen responded when he felt he was unfairly relegated following his high speed bustling with O'Grady? He won the next stage and gave a big F-U to the jury in his celebrations. Great stuff. None of this whinging and whining. Hushovd is smart and knows how to ride for the green jersey. He is showing Cav that the only stain on the green jersey is Cav's tears.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
frameforum said:
Want fresh legs for the finale in Paris? Then don't go out on a suicide break busting your balls for 6 points and ensuring you've got dead legs by Sunday! :D
But also ensuring you end up with the green jersey in Paris, regardless of what Cavendish does there. ;)

Sure, Cav might say he only cares for stage wins, but we all know he was eyeing the green as well. He's the fastest sprinter, but Thor is the biggest fighter. Winning green takes more than pure speed, and these gutsy moves make Hushovd the deserving green jersey wearer in my book as well.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
frameforum said:
Just for those who might have forgotten; there's a big TT tomorrow and a climb up the Ventoux on Saturday. Want fresh legs for the finale in Paris? Then don't go out on a suicide break busting your balls for 6 points and ensuring you've got dead legs by Sunday! :D

HAHA! are you telling us that Cavendish could have followed that? Then I will never take you seriously again.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Today is proving what I think we all already know. While Cav is undoubtedly the fastest pure sprinter in the peloton, Hushovd is a much better all around cyclist, and probably is more deserving of the green jersey in Paris. It's not a sprinter's competition, it's a points competition...

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
frameforum said:
Hushovd is making a sound tactical move. After today, he can be ahead 30 points. It will be very difficult for Cavendish to make up for that, because it means he needs to drop Hushovd somewhere.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
+1. Agree with your sentiments entirely. The "green jersey stain" statement was immature and not worthy of a champion. Columbia stuffed that stage up by trying to protect George. Cav didn't sprint and he would have avoided that situation of he had sprinted. I agree that he should not have been relegated, but in the heat of the moment you can understand why Hushovd thought he had come off his line and why he appealed. The rest is up to the jury. Cav should learn more from Robbie - remember how McEwen responded when he felt he was unfairly relegated following his high speed bustling with O'Grady? He won the next stage and gave a big F-U to the jury in his celebrations. Great stuff. None of this whinging and whining. Hushovd is smart and knows how to ride for the green jersey. He is showing Cav that the only stain on the green jersey is Cav's tears.

It looks like Hushovd is being motivated by a guilty conscience today.

I agree that Cav should have kept his mouth shut about the "green jersey stain - I chalk that one up to youth. Cav will learn to keep quiet.

I was a Thor Hushovd fan until this tour, but he has proven to be a big time whiner in this tour. In a stage before the Cav penalty Thor was screaming at another rider who passed him at the line because the other rider cost him a point and wasn't in the green jersey running. It was Thor's fault for coasting to the line, not the other rider for passing him. Then came the theatrics with Cav. Thor can't deal with the fact that he isn't as fast as Cav. Maybe Hushovd should be awarded a green diaper.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
535xiguy said:

I agree that Cav should have kept his mouth shut about the "green jersey stain - I chalk that one up to youth. Cav will learn to keep quiet.

I was a Thor Hushovd fan until this tour, but he has proven to be a big time whiner in this tour. In a stage before the Cav penalty Thor was screaming at another rider who passed him at the line because the other rider cost him a point and wasn't in the green jersey running. It was Thor's fault for coasting to the line, not the other rider for passing him. Then came the theatrics with Cav. Thor can't deal with the fact that he isn't as fast as Cav. Maybe Hushovd should be awarded a green diaper.

Screaming at another rider? I believe it was Velits and there was no screaming. Funny...you don't like Thor because of whining? There is only one whiner and he isn't wearing green.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
even without the points deducted from cav, thor would have had a slight lead, then today he would have increased. I think his determanation and hard work through out the tour (rather then just a few hard out sprint stages, where your team has delvired the victory on a platter) has made him a much more worthy green jersey wearer then Cav

535xiguy said:

Youth? How long do we have to wait for this jerkoff to grow the f*ck up?

The Mighty Thor is winning the green jersey with a great raid whlie Cav sulks in the laughing groups.

535xiguy said:

I agree about that, Thor should have not coasted if he wanted to get the points.

But the same stands for Cav: Thor isn't the only one complaining (and he's only doing it at finishes in the height of emotion as opposed to later to the press). If Cav wanted green he should have ridden for green. I hate all the "tactical" foolery that goes on in professional cycling--be it a break watching someone go free in the final kms and waiting for someone else to chase or a team trying to get max points AND the yellow jersey by retarding the bunch sprint.

Thor is riding a great race and working his *** off for that jersey. I think he deserves it.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
You do realize that Cav wasn't even thinking about the green jersey before he started kicking "Mighty Thor's" a** at the line and the press started talking green jersey. All Cav wanted to do was win some stages and finish the Tour this year - since he regrets dropping out of last years TDF. The green jersey would have been icing on the cake, that's all.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I guess Thor's PR plan has worked out perfectly: "Get in a breakaway today to pretend I'm a fighter and that way people might forget I'm actually an immature crybaby."

535xiguy said:
You do realize that Cav wasn't even thinking about the green jersey before he started kicking "Mighty Thor's" a** at the line and the press started talking green jersey. All Cav wanted to do was win some stages and finish the Tour this year - since he regrets dropping out of last years TDF. The green jersey would have been icing on the cake, that's all.

Oh, BS. They were just not man enough to admit their goal. That way if he failed, they could fall back on the excuse that they were not really going after it anyway. If he did not care about the points jersey then he would not be so upset at being relegated.

535xiguy said:

The same Cav that was only going to the Milan San Remo for experience???:)

ruamruam

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
No doubt Columbia was going for the green jersey from day 1, who did they think they were fooling? They were just singing along to the old McEwen tune... :p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Thor isn't the only one complaining (and he's only doing it at finishes in the height of emotion as opposed to later to the press).

+1. Columbia-HTC should do some media training with Cav. He is a great sprinter and I have no problems with his confidence, but I do cringe with some of his interviews.

TRENDING THREADS