• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Identity/Credit Theft

Can anything be done to stop identity/credit theft? It seems like every month there is another breach. Most recently 20+ million social security numbers were hacked from the feds data base.

I've had five issues in the last few years (I'm hoping that my bad luck is over):
-My wife's credit card was hacked in the Target breach.
-My credit card was hacked in the Home Depot breach.
-My debit card was hacked in the Albertsons breach.
-My social security number was hacked from a medical provider.
-My identity was used to purchase products on ebay with Bill me Later.

The three card issues were as easy as getting a new cards (but having to change the # with ebills).

I still don't know what will happen with the hacked SS#. Maybe that's how the ebay thieves opened an account in my name.

The Bill Me Later identity theft took a lot of hours over several months to sort out and I'm still not completely confident that it won't reappear.

I guess I could deal only in cash to eliminate CC hacks. That's tough to do if you are paying people out of the area (mailing checks has its own risks). I place most of the blame on CC companies, and feel that they should be doing more. How do I cover SS# hacks? All of my medical/insurance files use my SS# as does my employer. I wonder if medical/insurance should use a different identifier, but if SS# are already in systems it may be too late. What is the solution to keep us safe(er)?!

Side note: I put a security alert on my credit report for six months, and they recommend that you get a credit report yearly. In order to get a credit report though, you have to give your SS#, and other personal info to the PRIVATE credit reporting agencies. I know they have that info already (criminal if you ask me), but "moving it to the top of the list--new data base" by requesting a report makes me nervous.

I got bit by iTunes, and then by PayPal. Luckily it didn't turn out to be a huge financial loss, but it sure was a pain in the rear that took many weeks to resolve. I did sign up for a few things, such as extra banking protection, and that has since helped. But I'm sure I'm not immune.

I too would be curious to hear some success stories, what people have done.

When I was abroad a few months ago, one of my credit cards stopped working—when I tried to use it, I was denied. I’ve had similar problems in the past, due to different rules and limits being imposed when abroad, so I thought it was something like that. When I returned to the U.S. I found out someone had been purchasing things with my credit card. The bank put a stop on it, that’s why the card stopped working. How they got a hold of my credit card number I don’t know, but I didn’t even know there was a Home Depot breach, that might have been it. In fact, I'd be relieved to know that was the cause, and not something else that might crop up again.

I use a debit card abroad in ATM machines with mostly no problems, but an American friend of mine has had so much trouble with hackers that he keeps the account closed until just before he goes to the ATM, then activates it, then closes it again afterwards. I have been falsely charged for withdrawals a few times because of bank error, but have managed to get those reversed. Actually, I think ATM withdrawals in the U.S. are riskier, there are ways to rig the machine to get the password from someone who has just used it.

I’m very careful when I throw out/recycle documents. Anything that has information like a credit card or bank account number I tear into pieces, and dispose of each piece separately. I’ve heard stories of dumpster divers who look for information like this. Hackers into online accounts are something to worry about, too, if you use a public wifi. I’m sure there are people here on this forum who can expound on that.

Another thing that helps is using different passwords for different accounts. If hackers steal one password, at least they can’t use it to get into other accounts, unless they’ve penetrated further into your security than that.

Re:

Merckx index said:
When I was abroad a few months ago, one of my credit cards stopped working—when I tried to use it, I was denied. I’ve had similar problems in the past, due to different rules and limits being imposed when abroad, so I thought it was something like that. When I returned to the U.S. I found out someone had been purchasing things with my credit card. The bank put a stop on it, that’s why the card stopped working. How they got a hold of my credit card number I don’t know, but I didn’t even know there was a Home Depot breach, that might have been it. In fact, I'd be relieved to know that was the cause, and not something else that might crop up again.

I use a debit card abroad in ATM machines with mostly no problems, but an American friend of mine has had so much trouble with hackers that he keeps the account closed until just before he goes to the ATM, then activates it, then closes it again afterwards. I have been falsely charged for withdrawals a few times because of bank error, but have managed to get those reversed. Actually, I think ATM withdrawals in the U.S. are riskier, there are ways to rig the machine to get the password from someone who has just used it.

I’m very careful when I throw out/recycle documents. Anything that has information like a credit card or bank account number I tear into pieces, and dispose of each piece separately. I’ve heard stories of dumpster divers who look for information like this. Hackers into online accounts are something to worry about, too, if you use a public wifi. I’m sure there are people here on this forum who can expound on that.

Another thing that helps is using different passwords for different accounts. If hackers steal one password, at least they can’t use it to get into other accounts, unless they’ve penetrated further into your security than that.

I shred anything with any info. on it, and then put it in with the cat litter when I dump it! :D None of my fraud issues have been "local"/at my home/computer, they have been at the retailer/service provider end of things.

TRENDING THREADS