• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Ilan Van Wilder - Pale Rider

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Obviously that's the team's directive and completely understandable. However, i feel the could have managed their efforts better, so that it wasn't Van Wilder who had to go all out in the final. The difference for the BYR classification is night and day. Finishing along with Skjelmose (who is a more zappy climber than Van Wilder) would be manageable, dropping Skjelmose tomorrow will prove a more difficult task.
Yes, and I definitely think some teams would have made a different calculations, my point was just that I expect QS to give the BYR classification (and a ~5th place in GC) relatively less weight.

The way I saw it, Van Wilder was the one not measuring his efforts. He could have brought back Gougeard by riding a steady tempo instead of going deep and almost dropping the entire peloton (unless the plan was for him to attack, in that case I agree the tactics were poor).

Overall I think it's pretty clear Alaphilippe is the team's captain here. Van Wilder might play the role Vansevenant played last year in this same race, helping Alaf limit his losses against Quintana and hopefully getting a good GC result in the process. But yeah I don't think there's much difference between finishing 4th or 7th for Van Wilder. It's good to see him in decent shape already. His time will come sooner than later.

The way I saw it, Van Wilder was the one not measuring his efforts. He could have brought back Gougeard by riding a steady tempo instead of going deep and almost dropping the entire peloton (unless the plan was for him to attack, in that case I agree the tactics were poor).

Overall I think it's pretty clear Alaphilippe is the team's captain here. Van Wilder might play the role Vansevenant played last year in this same race, helping Alaf limit his losses against Quintana and hopefully getting a good GC result in the process. But yeah I don't think there's much difference between finishing 4th or 7th for Van Wilder. It's good to see him in decent shape already. His time will come sooner than later.
He's 21, he hasn't raced for 8 months. He's eager to prove himself in/to the team. Yes, he could and should have been more conservative with his pull, but i think they would have been better off having him helping out earlier in the race, so that Serry or Vervaeke had something left and he could recover.

It's a pity the team is missing 2 men, especially Asgreen.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Great tactics by Lotto Quickstep, to have Van Wilder go deep in the final 3k, so that he has to let a gap on the finish, and loses valuable seconds in GC, so now Skjelmose and Jorgenson are ahead of Van Wilder in BYR classification. Just finishing in the same group tomorrow isn't good enough, now he has to drop them. Genius. Looks like they learned nothing.

Why on Earth would they care about a best young rider competition in the Tour de La Provence?

Why on Earth would they care about a best young rider competition in the Tour de La Provence?
BYR is always a secondary classification, doesn't matter in which race. If it doesn't matter here, it doesn't matter anywhere. It's always in relation to the race itself. If the race is so insignificant that the BYR doesn't matter, then does the race itself matter?

finishing at Montagne De Lure tomorrow!!! I wish him the best, and hope he gets some help from Serry and company. He can still finish top 3 ...yes?
Doubt it. Before today he just had to finish in a group with Skjelmose and Jorgenson. Now he has to drop them. Different ballgame.

Reactions: Sandisfan
BYR is always a secondary classification, doesn't matter in which race. If it doesn't matter here, it doesn't matter anywhere. It's always in relation to the race itself. If the race is so insignificant that the BYR doesn't matter, then does the race itself matter?

Doubt it. Before today he just had to finish in a group with Skjelmose and Jorgenson. Now he has to drop them. Different ballgame.

It doesn't matter anywhere else than in the Grand Tours.

• Sad
Ok, I wish the UCI would inform other race organizers.
Honestly, who cares about it? Other than maybe the riders who can go for it?

It can't come as a shock to you that secondary competitions in small races - especially the youth one - aren't exactly the hottest subject among fans.

And teams should certainly not build their strategies around them if they have the opportunity to go for stages or GCs.

What they did was stupid because he lost time on GC, not because he lost time in the youth competition...

• Wow
Honestly, who cares about it? Other than maybe the riders who can go for it?

It can't come as a shock to you that secondary competitions in small races - especially the youth one - aren't exactly the hottest subject among fans.

And teams should certainly not build their strategies around them if they have the opportunity to go for stages or GCs.

What they did was stupid because he lost time on GC, not because he lost time in the youth competition...
GC matters if you win it or get on the podium, or manage top 10. I think the difference between finishing 5th or 6th in GC in a race like this matters less than if that means you finish 2nd in BYR instead of 1st. It's a prize, you get on the podium.

Anyway, we'll see what happens tomorrow, maybe he'll lose 2 minutes anyway and it wouldn't have mattered in hindsight anyhow.

They were nearest a win yesterday, and Alaphilippe was also in hindsight the best bet for GC.
My issue is that him blowing his chances yesterday was unnecessary regardless. The way it played out (for GC/BYR) was all too predictable.
Anyway, great ride by Van Wilder. He's said a few days ago he's still not where he wants to be (regarding his form).

PS: Alaph best bet for GC thanks to his boniseconds only, thanks to the work of teammates (who lost time in the process). Climbing stage + ITT, Van Wilder performed better in terms of GC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre
So he was supposed to ride UAE tour, but he got covid so that plan went down the drain. He's had to stay off the bike for 4 days and had to be tested/followed up by the doctors (i imagine to rule out heartissues), but he has resumed training the past few days. A little bird told me he's currently scheduled to start at Catalunia in about 3 weeks.

So he was supposed to ride UAE tour, but he got covid so that plan went down the drain. He's had to stay off the bike for 4 days and had to be tested/followed up by the doctors (i imagine to rule out heartissues), but he has resumed training the past few days. A little bird told me he's currently scheduled to start at Catalunia in about 3 weeks.
Looking forward to the race

TRENDING THREADS