• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Ilan Van Wilder - Pale Rider

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Less than 4 weeks after getting back from his covid infection. Finishing well ahead of Ciccone, Sosa, Vanhoucke, Valverde, Skjelmose, Kruijswijk... after dropping early only losing 54 seconds. Not too bad.
I've noticed you always do this thing. You list a number of riders who did worse than your favourite riders to try to convince yourself and the others, that they did well. I'm not saying you don't have other convincing arguments to backup your claim (i.e. 4 weeks after getting back from covid is a solid argument), you usually do. But using Kruijswijk, who nobody can remember the last time he climbed respectfully, Valverde, who probably had the worst performance at this race in this millennium, Sosa, who is basically a Simon Yates on roids as far as consistency goes, Skjelmose, who was involved in a crash two days ago and it's a good thing he is alive, and so on...you get the point...Using those riders as some kind of benchmark, when comparing their performances to your guy's performance really doesn't make your guy look better. IMO it's a strange way to assess riders' performances, that's all.

I've noticed you always do this thing. You list a number of riders who did worse than your favourite riders to try to convince yourself and the others, that they did well. I'm not saying you don't have other convincing arguments to backup your claim (i.e. 4 weeks after getting back from covid is a solid argument), you usually do. But using Kruijswijk, who nobody can remember the last time he climbed respectfully, Valverde, who probably had the worst performance at this race in this millennium, Sosa, who is basically a Simon Yates on roids as far as consistency goes, Skjelmose, who was involved in a crash two days ago and it's a good thing he is alive, and so on...you get the point...Using those riders as some kind of benchmark, when comparing their performances to your guy's performance really doesn't make your guy look better. IMO it's a strange way to assess riders' performances, that's all.

I would guess he does it in a bit of a tongue-in-cheek way. Because I agree, it adds no value to an argument, since there will always be riders who disappoint on a given day.

lol, it was a counter to Alfalum's troll attempt. And you list reasons why it's ok for those riders to underperform, but having had covid last month and having to stay off the bike for 2 weeks up untill less than 4 weeks ago is no valid excuse according to you i see. He lost 54 seconds. That's it. Plenty of riders lose time like that all the time and much much more, for whatever reason. So i wouldn't know why you would single out one specific rider unless you are trolling. Which i know Alfalum is keen on doing.

But yes, i do like doing that but i thought people understood it is only to mock people making a big deal out of certain results.

lol, it was a counter to Alfalum's troll attempt. And you list reasons why it's ok for those riders to underperform, but having had covid last month and having to stay off the bike for 2 weeks up untill less than 4 weeks ago is no valid excuse according to you i see. He lost 54 seconds. That's it. Plenty of riders lose time like that all the time and much much more, for whatever reason. So i wouldn't know why you would single out one specific rider unless you are trolling. Which i know Alfalum is keen on doing.

But yes, i do like doing that but i thought people understood it is only to mock people making a big deal out of certain results.
I've said in my post that it's a valid excuse (I used the phrase "solid argument" but "valid excuse" is a better one, thank you). And I agree that losing 54 seconds is not a big deal. But that wasn't the point of my post.

Anyway, I didn't realise you were doing it to mock people. I'm usually pretty quick at detecting sarcasm, apparently I wasn't this time. I just found it bizarre. Lately you were doing this pretty much every time Van Wilder or Remco somewhat underperformed.

I've said in my post that it's a valid excuse (I used the phrase "solid argument" but "valid excuse" is a better one, thank you). And I agree that losing 54 seconds is not a big deal. But that wasn't the point of my post.

Anyway, I didn't realise you were doing it to mock people. I'm usually pretty quick at detecting sarcasm, apparently I wasn't this time. I just found it bizarre. Lately you were doing this pretty much every time Van Wilder or Remco somewhat underperformed.
Ah, Remco, the guy who will never be a GC rider because he finished 11th at TA. I've heard of him.

There needs to be a small trolling movement when it comes to your favorite riders. Just to ensure that the content in the thread is balanced and a bit in line with reality.

Obviously it is also a joke to see how easily a certain fanboy would take the bait. ;)
Oh! Aha aha aha. Yes, funny stuff. Nearly spat out my drink, but luckily i only chocked on it. ;)

Last edited:
After being put in the FW and LBL squad (due to others getting sick) Romandie was taken out of his schedule being so close to the Giro.

Today he fractured his jaw and suffered a concussion in the huge crash, so he's now out of the Giro as well.

I was actually hoping he'd join Evenepoel in the Vuelta at the beginning of the season, since there are more TT kms in the Vuelta than in the Giro, and considering they could rely on each other more than on any domestique at QS other than Cattaneo. But now that might turn into a reality, since i don't see them sending him to the Tour.

Back on his bike, but he posted the following: ''Fietsen met een kaakfractuur gaat maar we gaan moeten zien komende dagen ivbm de schokken.''
Apparently bumps in the road are hurting his jaw.

Back on his bike, but he posted the following: ''Fietsen met een kaakfractuur gaat maar we gaan moeten zien komende dagen ivbm de schokken.''
Apparently bumps in the road are hurting his jaw.
hmmm...that's going to delay him a bit. Hey Logic any idea or info on when he will race again?

hmmm...that's going to delay him a bit. Hey Logic any idea or info on when he will race again?
Last info i had was 2 days ago and they were still going to take their time setting next goals. So nothing yet (from what i know).
Tbh, i'd put him on the same trajectory as Evenepoel towards the Vuelta. Maybe have him race some additional races considering he hasn't nearly as many race days. I hope they're not putting him into the Tour squad yet even if Alaphilippe is out and Evenepoel not eager to take his spot.

@Logic-is-your-friend Explain to me why he's riding the Belgium Tour and not Dauhpiné or even better Suisse (I would just let him do the same races as Evenepoel towards the Vuelta)? I mean I guess he can get a good result in Belgium with the TT and Ardennes stage being decisive, but still.
He's riding Suisse. A few weeks ago it wasn't clear how his recovery would go after crassing in Liège and whether his form would be good enough for Suisse. So they kept Baloise Belgium Tour as an alternative ''just in case''. That's why on PCS he's still listed as riding both (BBT/TdS). But he'll be riding Suisse. After that he'll also do Belgian Nationals ITT/RR. Then a new altitude camp.

I would also send him to the same races as Evenepoel afterwards (San Sebastian / Burgos) but for some reason he's supposed to ride Pologne. I've heard in the past that he also wants to be able to ride for himself, and considering he's wasted the best chance he had this year by pulling Alaphilippe in Provence, to podium/win a race, maybe they want to give him that chance in Pologne, where he could be the team's best bet in GC. There is also a 15k ITT in Poland.

He's riding Suisse. A few weeks ago it wasn't clear how his recovery would go after crassing in Liège and whether his form would be good enough for Suisse. So they kept Baloise Belgium Tour as an alternative ''just in case''. That's why on PCS he's still listed as riding both (BBT/TdS). But he'll be riding Suisse. After that he'll also do Belgian Nationals ITT/RR. Then a new altitude camp.

I would also send him to the same races as Evenepoel afterwards (San Sebastian / Burgos) but for some reason he's supposed to ride Pologne. I've heard in the past that he also wants to be able to ride for himself, and considering he's wasted the best chance he had this year by pulling Alaphilippe in Provence, to podium/win a race, maybe they want to give him that chance in Pologne, where he could be the team's best bet in GC. There is also a 15k ITT in Poland.

Allright that sounds better, great to hear he has recovered well.

Nearly got ran over during training.

16 dagen Granada/Sierra Nevada: rust en vrede

1u België: regen over mijne nek, verkeersagressie en 2 keer bijna omver gereden :nomouth:

Waarom zijn mensen zo zuur tegenwoordig?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ilan Van Wilder: “Happy to be racing again”

Also eating on the bike was difficult, I needed to take everything out of drinks or I tried to eat a banana, but that was also difficult. After two hours on the bike I mostly had a hunger flat.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
View: https://twitter.com/qst_alphavinyl/status/1555924227106168833

His Strava shows he rode a very fast final 3k was well on Lagunas de Neila
As I wrote. With his rising form, and hopefully spared from setbacks and crashes, Van Wilders will certainly compete for a close place of honour.

@Logic-is-your-friend
Is Ilan starting Tour de l'Ain or not?
Could be a first pro win if he is, but I'm not sure if he's starting cause the QS website only mentions him in "our road wolves" below and not in the article.
No. Not according to the info i have. But PCS still has him on the startlist.
He initially was scheduled to ride it, but that was when they planned to have him ride Tour de Wallonie + Pologne, but then he got the stomach flu and his schedule got overhauled.

TRENDING THREADS