• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Internal Gear cables

simo1733 said:
Help! Any tips and tricks about how to get your gear cables to exit at the BB.

Does it have a cover? Remove. Snake the cables down there and eventually they will come out. Hook one up and then the other to the der as they 'can' get wrapped around each other inside the downtube and not shift worth a damn. Really poor design, this but part of the 'standard set' of stuff that frame makers and marketeers feel the frames gotta have. Hidden, proprietary brakes are another in the 'really dumb idea' department.

Bustedknuckle said:
Does it have a cover? Remove. Snake the cables down there and eventually they will come out. Hook one up and then the other to the der as they 'can' get wrapped around each other inside the downtube and not shift worth a damn. Really poor design, this but part of the 'standard set' of stuff that frame makers and marketeers feel the frames gotta have. Hidden, proprietary brakes are another in the 'really dumb idea' department.

Speaking of this doesn't the new Madone 7 have them under the bottom bracket? Seems silly to me.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I managed ok when I took the cranks out.
Agree about the brakes,I have a TT bike with a center pull brake under the BB.The stopping power is about the same as dragging your foot on the ground.Part of the problem is the aero brake levers flex too much.
I would like to replace the brake levers with something stronger if there is such a thing.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Speaking of this doesn't the new Madone 7 have them under the bottom bracket? Seems silly to me.

Yep, don't get it. Plus they use an aero brake that only Trek or Shimano (dura-ace) make and the trek version isn't very good..

Seems like frame manufacturers are running out of things to do.

To the OP, if you have a repair stand, tilting the frame so that the downtube is more vertical helps too. One cable at a time as busted said.

Mechanics must love internal cable routing...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Agh Come On.

You can try sheer luck.
You can try a freaking magnet.
You can try first passing a cable from the BB to the head tube/downtube opening and then tie down the real cable and pull it back.
Most frames have a guide in the internal route, if there was one and it fell off you need to fix it or remove it.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Agh Come On.

You can try sheer luck.
You can try a freaking magnet.
You can try first passing a cable from the BB to the head tube/downtube opening and then tie down the real cable and pull it back.
Most frames have a guide in the internal route, if there was one and it fell off you need to fix it or remove it.

No cable guides though,and threading a cable from the BB up to the tiny opening in the diwn tube would be much more difficult than the original task.
Thanks for your input .

richwagmn said:
Yep, don't get it. Plus they use an aero brake that only Trek or Shimano (dura-ace) make and the trek version isn't very good..

Seems like frame manufacturers are running out of things to do.

To the OP, if you have a repair stand, tilting the frame so that the downtube is more vertical helps too. One cable at a time as busted said.

Mechanics must love internal cable routing...

No kidding.