• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is anybody else tired of watching wheel sucking Spanish/Itlalian riders?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
NOBODY BUT NOBODY WORKED WITH FABIAN!!! That guy pulled everyone, and the Spanish riders - as they always do - just sat and waited for someone else to pull them up! Sanchez did nothing and then sprinted by Fabian for 4th...how pathetic! The Italians did not do much more.
I wasn't a big fan of the Spanish vacuums before, and less now!

Fabian's biggest problem was that HE was the strongest, and everyone knew it!

Congrats Cadel...when you attacked, you did not look back, just gave it your all!!

Pursuit said:
NOBODY BUT NOBODY WORKED WITH FABIAN!!! That guy pulled everyone, and the Spanish riders - as they always do - just sat and waited for someone else to pull them up! Sanchez did nothing and then sprinted by Fabian for 4th...how pathetic! The Italians did not do much more.
I wasn't a big fan of the Spanish vacuums before, and less now!

Fabian's biggest problem was that HE was the strongest, and everyone knew it!

Congrats Cadel...when you attacked, you did not look back, just gave it your all!!

Fabian broke 3? Italians when he accelerated and halved the group. Maybe that was actually a bad move

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I think Fabian was a victim of his own succes. He was heavily favoured to win so it was his wheel that everybody marked. Cadel was smart in attacking the group, The other favourites like the spaniards and italians sat on their saddles thinking they would get a free ride in Cancellaras slipstream and that he would close the gap and be spent for the finish where they would shine.
That's why they go out empty handed, it's a pity for Fabian who was clearly the strongest, but in the case of Cunego, Sánchez and Valverde it proves that wheel sucking gets you nowhere.
Fabian got screwed, Cadel made the right move, the others shamed themselves.

wheel sucking

Cancellara had no choice. He had to go as he was not going to outsprint Cunego or Valverde and why should he drag the others back up to the front group. The cut their own throats by marking Cancellara. Too bad for them. Evan's could not have timed his move any better. It's funny that Evan's always gets called a wheel sucker by his critics as if he's the only one that does it. They are not watching the races very closely if they think he is one of the worst.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I think Fabian attacked to early. Although nobody else was working to break up the pack, if he had waited I think he would have had a better result. Cadel, as much as I disliked him, attacked at he right moment- and who would have thought he would attack at all, surprise! However, without Fabian hurting everybody, that attack isn't as effective.

If Sanchez works with Fabian, they go 1, 2.

Fabian is my favorite because he has the balls to make a race. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Still, win or lose, you know the guy is there. You always have to give him respect.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Cancellara had no choice. He had to go as he was not going to outsprint Cunego or Valverde and why should he drag the others back up to the front group. The cut their own throats by marking Cancellara. Too bad for them. Evan's could not have timed his move any better. It's funny that Evan's always gets called a wheel sucker by his critics as if he's the only one that does it. They are not watching the races very closely if they think he is one of the worst.

I don't actually think that Evans has ever been a wheel sucking classics rider, on the contrary he's been very active attacker in spring classics.

A

Anonymous

_frost said:
I don't actually think that Evans has ever been a wheel sucking classics rider, on the contrary he's been very active attacker in spring classics.

I agree! He is just a GT wheelsucker.:eek:

For what it's worth my thoughts...

Evans does what he does because it's all he knows how to do and often it's all he can (physically) do. I think he gets a bad wrap because he doesn't have a turn of speed. I actually think that a really hard race like the one yesterday (or like some of the classics) suits Evans more than a GT. A tough course does the selection without having to make lots of aggressive moves. He will win one of the hilly classics next year IMO.

Cancellara needed a bit more of a plan - the sledgehammer approach was a bit too one dimensional for the quality of folk around him. I agree with those that say he needed to be more patient and more subtle. If he hadn't gone to the front so early others would have pushed the pace...and a better opportuntiy would have emerged to win the race. Doing what he did meant this wasn't going to happen. I think he could have won it.

Yes, Cance could have won it if he'd played his cards better. He did what time triallists love doing though.

To be fair to the Italians though, they didn't suck wheel all race. They chucked a huge great bomb into the pack on the climb in what, lap 9? Blew the race to pieces. And it was Basso who eliminated Boonen.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Is anybody else tired of watching blubbering cyclist?

While I have never like Evans, for his racing style and press personality, I really seemed to lose a lot of respect for him because of his blubbering after winning. Having a few tears is one thing, but blubbering like a baby is entirely different. When was blubbering to his wife, I just wanted to see her slap him and say, "Dude, man up. You are embarrassing us!"

Of course I also wondered, is his wife turned on by his eyebrows and chin? But that has nothing to do with his racing.

Cancellara commited suicide attaching as he did with two laps to go and was, as someone correctly pointed out, a victom of his own success and, in this case, lack of proper estime for the class of his rivals. Though he was the strongest and, had he played his cards correctly, the others would have been racing for second.

The Italians were not wheel suckers. They placed Visconti, Paolini and Ballan in moves and then held back to see what evolved. Pozzato then Basso set a pace that was not devestating but hard, but when Cancellara accellerated he broke the azzuri, especially Cunego, upon whom the team had counted on for the win. So a more proper assessment of the Italian team is that they raced as they should have, but simply didn't have a Bettini to bring home a win. And by the way, practically for the last 5-6 years they have been the squadra which has tried to "make the race" (and often effectively has), unlike the Spaniards who have tried to be much more opportunistic and sly to allow the others to pilote Valve-Piti into a forerunner's postion at the end. It used to work with others, but for some reason it has backfired over the past few years.

Hats off to Evens, however, who had just the right form combined with just the right reading of the race and his opponents (unlike Cancellara) when reacting with Kolebnev and Sanchez (I think) to come back to Fabian on the descent before decimating his rivals on the last climb by a lethal riffle shot with 7k to go. I'd say if any rider in the peleton deserved this win it's Cadel. The Aussie contingent must be damn proud and hungover from all those Foster's (presumably) last knight to celebrate their nation's first ever rainbow jersey. Congrats!!!

A

Anonymous

So question... were there race radios allowed in the race? If so, would it have made any difference in the excitement of the race?

As for Evans being called a blubberer... can't agree. He's had a tumultous season "failing" in the Tour but still finally taking home the rainbow jersey. I don't blame him for being emotional after being known as the bride's maid for so long. Plus, how many blubberring cyclists have we seen cross the finish line in just stage races that look ridiculous? Too numerous to count.

Although, maybe he should stick with the Classics instead, as someone else had suggested.

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Another race

When I read some comments I wonder whether I watch the same World's as other people. Over the last 4 years the Italian team has single handedly managed the race with everyone else waiting to see what was going to happen. Clearly teams with few riders can't take on this responsibility but I think it unfair to criticize the Team considering that they had riders in the breakaway working hard and Pozzato and Basso did plenty at the front. The Australian team single handedly brought the race back together when the italians were in the breakaway. What other teams did anything important? Having a big dig on the last lap is laudable (Cancellara) but had not the Australians brought it back together he would have come in minutes behind the fugitives.

The Italians did not suck wheels. That's a total misread of the race. The Italians pulled the pack for laps, they blew the race apart midway, and they did everything they could to make the race hard in the end.

Only Cunego sucked wheels, not because he wanted to, but because he was completely at, or even over, his limit. Cunego couldn't go any faster. He tried one attack in between in the 2 climbs. Other than that, Cunego didn't have it yesterday.

The Spaniards on the other hand, I still think they were hoping Freire would come back by riding defensively or they were hoping it would come down to a sprint with Valv.

Watch the last lap again.
Matti Breschel, who coincidentally rides for SaxoBank, tried to tow him up the final climb and into contention with the 3 breakaways.
Then, when Canc and Samu finally got away, he sat on Cunego's wheel.
Not massive, but significant.

No Italian was around on the most important lap, to work with Cunego and the three Spaniards only rode for themselves.
Evans had no one, Kolobnev rode the whole race, with little support.

So, all things being equal, Fabian came off well, considering his team.

As for the Italian's being wheel suckers, thats laughable.
They attacked the race with 6 or 7 laps to go, and again on lap 18.
The Spanish? well maybe, but that's because they usually seem to out wait the Italians.
Trouble is, this time, they waited too long.

Cunego: Wheel sucking so hard, his nose is bleeding and, in front of Cancellara.
worlds09menrr-ouch.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hats off to Evens, however, who had just the right form combined with just the right reading of the race and his opponents (unlike Cancellara) when reacting with Kolebnev and Sanchez (I think) to come back to Fabian on the descent before decimating his rivals on the last climb by a lethal riffle shot with 7k to go. I'd say if any rider in the peleton deserved this win it's Cadel. The Aussie contingent must be damn proud and hungover from all those Foster's (presumably) last knight to celebrate their nation's first ever rainbow jersey. Congrats!!![/QUOTE]

The biggest loser was Sanchez. The second he sat on the gap created by Cancellara on the descent. The Spaniards had the pursuit group covered and left Sanchez to finish...he choked.

As some of the guys have already responded to this thread -the Italians never were "wheel sucking" throughout the race- that's false. they in fact shared a huge work load with the Aussies over the last two hours of racing-and by the final laps they even used Ballan, Basso, even Pozatto paced a bit to launch Cunego

so that part isn't truth at all!!

As far as the Spaniards go- they have two issues- Big names & Big egos don't leave room for team work.-Valverde was on paper the captain, but Sanchez won't give up his chances, so Joaquin Rodriguez would't either. the Second Issue is the Spaniards are good at relying on Opportunism & won't break a sweat unless the situation calls for it-they know that other teams have greater desire to work harder to make the race tough, whereas the Spanish riders prefer to follow and profit from a breakaway or a split from the peloton.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
As far as the Spaniards go- they have two issues- Big names & Big egos don't leave room for team work.-Valverde was on paper the captain, but Sanchez won't give up his chances, so Joaquin Rodriguez would't either. the Second Issue is the Spaniards are good at relying on Opportunism & won't break a sweat unless the situation calls for it-they know that other teams have greater desire to work harder to make the race tough, whereas the Spanish riders prefer to follow and profit from a breakaway or a split from the peloton.

Well, this is not what they stated after the race. Sánchez has told that after the final selection they agreed that Valverde would look after Cunego, Sánchez would look after Cancellara and Rodríguez would respond to attacks from other riders. Not exactly aggressive riding, but it looks like team work based on who they thought as the favorites. After Rodríguez was in a position to get a medal it would have been silly of Sánchez to lead Cancellara to the head. But maybe I was watching a different race :)

icefire said:
Well, this is not what they stated after the race. Sánchez has told that after the final selection they agreed that Valverde would look after Cunego, Sánchez would look after Cancellara and Rodríguez would respond to attacks from other riders. Not exactly aggressive riding, but it looks like team work based on who they thought as the favorites. After Rodríguez was in a position to get a medal it would have been silly of Sánchez to lead Cancellara to the head. But maybe I was watching a different race :)

For me it seemed that Sánchez was the strongest amongst chasers, not counting Cancellara. Valverde and Cunego were cooked.
But Sánchez hesitated - Cancellara was still strong and Rodríguez was still ahead, so any move from hime would have helped Cance.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:

Sanchez in my opinion blew his chance to go with Cancellara. Not sure what he was hoping for. He and Cancellara would have had 5-10 seconds going into the last climb in my opinion, but he just sat on. Instead of being part of the final selection, he got to watch it.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
last time i checked if you have a team mate up the road with a legitimate chance as a team mate you cover the moves........its called teamwork

stop bagging on the spanish for sitting on , rodriguez had been in the break for 100km , he was still in the hunt and sanchez and valverde respected it.....

the italians did not sit on either , they did plenty to animate , they just didnt have anybody other than cunego in the finale......they had 3 or 4 guys in a large break eventually brought back by australia , and then worked on the front to really harden up the race......

the austalians did plenty of work also , mid race mostly , and cadel benefitted greatly , his attack was perfect , from about 5 mtr in front of rodriguez and kolobnev when they were looking around......
cadel has done plenty of wheel sucking himself , loads actually over the years ..
this past season we have seen him attack with a bit more frequency , i for one welcome it .......

so stop , the tactics were evident , and cadel pulled of a great classy win , good for him........:eek::eek::eek:

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
gttim! said:
I think Fabian attacked to early. Although nobody else was working to break up the pack, if he had waited I think he would have had a better result. Cadel, as much as I disliked him, attacked at he right moment- and who would have thought he would attack at all, surprise! However, without Fabian hurting everybody, that attack isn't as effective.

If Sanchez works with Fabian, they go 1, 2.

Fabian is my favorite because he has the balls to make a race. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Still, win or lose, you know the guy is there. You always have to give him respect.

They were interviewing Cipollini on Italian TV during the race, and that was his analysis too: Cancellara went too early and showed his cards.

Also, in terms of the Italian team working - did you not see those two guys driving the break for however many laps? They probably worked too hard in some ways. And... while they may have had the numbers, the Italians were racing without a super guy like Cancellara or Evans on a race course that was favorable to whoever was really strong, and not quite as suited to lots of tactics as other courses have been.

I thought it was a wonderful race.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Is anybody else tired of watching wheel sucking Spanish/Itlalian riders?

Yeah, I'm so sick of those dam wheel suckin Spanish and Italian riders, they all need to become reckless attackers like our Aussie boy Cadel, so much more exciting to watch!:D:D

anthony466 said:
When I read some comments I wonder whether I watch the same World's as other people. Over the last 4 years the Italian team has single handedly managed the race with everyone else waiting to see what was going to happen. Clearly teams with few riders can't take on this responsibility but I think it unfair to criticize the Team considering that they had riders in the breakaway working hard and Pozzato and Basso did plenty at the front. The Australian team single handedly brought the race back together when the italians were in the breakaway. What other teams did anything important? Having a big dig on the last lap is laudable (Cancellara) but had not the Australians brought it back together he would have come in minutes behind the fugitives.

+1 well said.your conclusion on this race is spoton...anthony466

TRENDING THREADS