• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is anyone familiar with riding in the Lake Como/Bellagio area?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
In two weeks I'm off to Italy for a month, and while I won't be able to ride more than a few days, there are a couple of places that I definitely will be getting on a bike. We'll be staying in Bellagio at the foot of the climb up to the Madonna di Ghisallo church for five nights and I would LOVE to ride around the lake, but I don't know anything about the area other than that the Giro di Lombardy goes right through town and up the hill.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the chance to ride in that area, and if there are any roads I should avoid for safety reasons. Also, is there a time of day that most of the locals will be out riding, or is any time good? One last question: Any recommendations on where I can rent a good bike? I won't be able to bring my own, so hopefully there are decent road bikes available for hire.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
I havent been to the Como lake myself, but ever heard that it's a beautiful area.

Right now almost whole Italy is on holiday but by the time you will be here, most of people will be back to work.
So as for "special days/timing" for riding, Id suggest for sure weekends; you're supposed to meet many guys on the roads.

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I go to Bellagio every year to see the Tour of Lombardy. I don't cycle there so can't give you any advice on safe routes etc, although I don't think there's a problem. Yes, the Italians are mad drivers, but they do seem to respect cyclists.

If you're planning to hire a bike I would try contacting the hotel you're staying at and ask their advice.

There is a sports shop in Bellagio called Arco Sports who supposedly hire road bikes, but I'd check first, to avoid disappointment. There's also meant to be another bike hire place in Bellagio, but I can't find the link to it.

Just try googling. A lot of the activity centres/boat rental places rent bikes, but I think they might be more mountain rather than road bike.

Also, a good website for links to all things Bellagio, including the Bike Club is:
http://www.bellagio.co.nz/index.html.

The museum at the top of the Madonna del Ghisallo climb is now open:
http://www.museodelghisallo.it/home.html

Not sure when the actual church is open - it's amazing.

Have a great time - it's a fantastic place!

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, apart from the ghisallo there is a very good 7% 11km climb that starts about 15km from the south west of bellagio. Take a left turn at nesso and head for zelbio and sormano. No tunnels and decent surface. On the descent you can go back to bellagio passing the ghisallo musuem or you can descend all the way to the lake the other side. Most of the 'locals' you will see are from lecco and como and not from bellagio itself.
Ciao.....MikeT

I've stayed in Belaggio and Varenna and driven around the lake a couple of times. I haven't cycled there but I have experienced Italians driving so my advice would be not to ride anywhere you might find Italian motorists.

Just kidding. I do find the Italians show a lot of courtesy and respect to roadies ...so long as they're riding a Campagnolo gruppo. Shimano or SRAM, ...you're roadkill. :D

TRENDING THREADS