• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Is Gerrans making the same mistake twice in a row?

Sep 10, 2009
41
0
0
Visit site
So, Gerrans to Sky. Judging from his comments, he certainly seemed disappointed in the fact that

1) he was not selected for the tour
2) he was not offered protected status in more races (i am thinking in the spring), which was entirely due to HH's coming out party and Thor's usual spring friskiness.

SO, he decides to bail out on Cervelo and jump to Sky...who have just signed Flecha and EBH, who CLEARLY will be the center of the spring classics campaigns.

I fail to comprehend Gerrans logic here, if anyone with more knowledge of the situation can shed some light on this please feel free.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
ethnik said:
So, Gerrans to Sky. Judging from his comments, he certainly seemed disappointed in the fact that

1) he was not selected for the tour
2) he was not offered protected status in more races (i am thinking in the spring), which was entirely due to HH's coming out party and Thor's usual spring friskiness.

SO, he decides to bail out on Cervelo and jump to Sky...who have just signed Flecha and EBH, who CLEARLY will be the center of the spring classics campaigns.

I fail to comprehend Gerrans logic here, if anyone with more knowledge of the situation can shed some light on this please feel free.

Flecha and Hagen will be leading in different types of classics as Gerrans. No worries there :)

As for the Tour selection, he's in the same danger he was in at Cervélo: he's not good as a leadout man and he's not good as GC support as he's not a mountain goat and my grandmother can out-TT him.

In a team hunting for stage wins, he'd be a dead certainty in the lineup. As is, he's 50/50.
 
May 17, 2009
126
0
0
Visit site
ethnik said:
2) he was not offered protected status in more races (i am thinking in the spring), which was entirely due to HH's coming out party and Thor's usual spring friskiness.
What races would that be exactly? Does Gerrans even take part in any of the cobbled classics? He's an Ardennes man, where neither Thor nor HH take part. Exactly the same will be the case vis-a-vis Flecha and EBH.

I'd be _very_ surprised if Gerrans does not make the TdF squad, regardless of whether the team is targeting stages or the GC.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
samb01 said:
What races would that be exactly? Does Gerrans even take part in any of the cobbled classics? He's an Ardennes man, where neither Thor nor HH take part. Exactly the same will be the case vis-a-vis Flecha and EBH.

I'd be _very_ surprised if Gerrans does not make the TdF squad, regardless of whether the team is targeting stages or the GC.

Agree...the only Ardennes comp may come from Lovkvist? But I think winning these classics is a heck of a lot different than taking some stage wins in the grand tours. Sure it is impressive...but not quite the same thing. I don't think Gerrans will ever be a true Classics winner. Just sayin...
 
ethnik said:
So, Gerrans to Sky. Judging from his comments, he certainly seemed disappointed in the fact that

1) he was not selected for the tour
2) he was not offered protected status in more races (i am thinking in the spring), which was entirely due to HH's coming out party and Thor's usual spring friskiness.

SO, he decides to bail out on Cervelo and jump to Sky...who have just signed Flecha and EBH, who CLEARLY will be the center of the spring classics campaigns.

I fail to comprehend Gerrans logic here, if anyone with more knowledge of the situation can shed some light on this please feel free.

I like him a lot, and he's got a bright future ahead-but honestly the only kind of team that i believe he'd fit in is a French one - which would allow him to maneuver freely, break away anytime his instincts call for, and remain uncompromised by an specific team effort, goal or strategy. I'd be thrilled to see him even riding for BMC-which is building up the team exclusively for the Classics
 
Jul 18, 2009
202
0
0
Visit site
Surely Sky, in their first year on the Tour (IF they're selected?!) would be happy with stage wins and media exposure? Gerrans is good at sniffing out a break. Neither EBH or Flecha are GC contenders either.

Lets face it, the only way Sky are going to bag a tour win in the next 5 years, or whatever their target is, is to sign Contador, hope he stays at Astana and they don't get invited, or failing the above have him run over. And then there's Andy Schleck.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
TTT and dual objectives on Cervelo killed Gerrans' chances. If they were only going for GC or green, no worries, a position for a stage hunter and puncheur.

Gerrans position is dictated by the team leaders.

Did Sky get Haussler as well as Boasson? Both are gonna be sprinters and going for green, but not with full team support yet.

Nibali, Froome? Can only take one or two helpers til they have proved themselves a podium shot. Nibali is on the cusp, Froome has potential to top 10. Lovqvist is a workhorse in the GTs, as I think he is squeaky clean, and falls out in the second and third week. Great talent tho.

Nibali, Froome, Lovqvist, Boasson, those 4 will ride the Tour for sure. If Haussler on Sky also? I think Barry and Henderson are. I think Hendo has been promised a Tour ride, but Barry and Henderson are much more marginal than Gerro. If you would have talked to the management at Sky, they have probably promised 12 riders a Tour berth next year.

Guys like Cummings and Thomas will be a staple of their team for the future, and if it is a 50/50 toss up, Gerrans will miss out. Did Sky get Augustyn, certainly one of the most talented grimpeurs in the peloton.
 
blackcat said:
TTT and dual objectives on Cervelo killed Gerrans' chances. If they were only going for GC or green, no worries, a position for a stage hunter and puncheur.

Gerrans position is dictated by the team leaders.

Did Sky get Haussler as well as Boasson? Both are gonna be sprinters and going for green, but not with full team support yet.

Nibali, Froome? Can only take one or two helpers til they have proved themselves a podium shot. Nibali is on the cusp, Froome has potential to top 10. Lovqvist is a workhorse in the GTs, as I think he is squeaky clean, and falls out in the second and third week. Great talent tho.

Nibali, Froome, Lovqvist, Boasson, those 4 will ride the Tour for sure. If Haussler on Sky also? I think Barry and Henderson are. I think Hendo has been promised a Tour ride, but Barry and Henderson are much more marginal than Gerro. If you would have talked to the management at Sky, they have probably promised 12 riders a Tour berth next year.

Guys like Cummings and Thomas will be a staple of their team for the future, and if it is a 50/50 toss up, Gerrans will miss out. Did Sky get Augustyn, certainly one of the most talented grimpeurs in the peloton.

Haussler has extended his contract for two more years-Nibali is staying with
Liquigas the last time I checked.
 
Sep 10, 2009
41
0
0
Visit site
no, HH has extended with Cervelo until 2012. Very good move for him I think. He and Thor are an awesome 2 headed beast, and they have both stated on the record that HH would prefer to focus on Flanders, Thor on Roubaix (though obviousely race day fitness and events can change that).
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
ethnik said:
So, Gerrans to Sky. Judging from his comments, he certainly seemed disappointed in the fact that

1) he was not selected for the tour
2) he was not offered protected status in more races (i am thinking in the spring), which was entirely due to HH's coming out party and Thor's usual spring friskiness.

SO, he decides to bail out on Cervelo and jump to Sky...who have just signed Flecha and EBH, who CLEARLY will be the center of the spring classics campaigns.

I fail to comprehend Gerrans logic here, if anyone with more knowledge of the situation can shed some light on this please feel free.

Flecha and EBH ride the cobbled classics not the ardenne classics. Gerrans can climb more than those guys and he has had a better season than flecha. I think due to his great results this season the guy deserves some support from sky and i hope he gets it.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Flecha and EBH ride the cobbled classics not the ardenne classics. Gerrans can climb more than those guys and he has had a better season than flecha. I think due to his great results this season the guy deserves some support from sky and i hope he gets it.
think Lovqvist is the better rider myself. Will not be the sole leader, if he hopes to be.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
Gerrans is a better classic rider the Lovkist. Lovkist probably better at concentrating to stage races, not that I ever see him winning a GT, but he seems to suit week long races imo. Gerrans will probaby be the ardennes leader,(I think he is a great rider, really knows how to pick, and win in a break.)
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
ingsve said:
He won Monte Paschi Eroica that starts off the italian classics season and came 6th in Fleche Vallone.

that's all and good but gerrans top 10 in all of the ardenne classics and has won a stage of the giro, vuelta and won the race gp plouray which is a bigger race than monte paschi eroica
 
auscyclefan94 said:
that's all and good but gerrans top 10 in all of the ardenne classics and has won a stage of the giro, vuelta and won the race gp plouray which is a bigger race than monte paschi eroica

I'm not saying Lövkvist should be leader ahead of Gerrans, I was just answering the question about what he has done this year. He's certainly capable of finishing high in the same races as Gerrans so he will probably be co-captain. I think Gerrans has a better sprint than Lövkvist does eventhough Lövkvist has improved in that respect at least in uphill sprints. That means Gerrans can finish high in races where there is a larger group sprinting for positions like in Amstel Gold Race and Liege Baston Liege this year. Lövkvist to get a good shot at a top 10 needs to be in a smaller group or alone or the finish needs to be uphill like Fleche.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
that's all and good but gerrans top 10 in all of the ardenne classics and has won a stage of the giro, vuelta and won the race gp plouray which is a bigger race than monte paschi eroica
huge difference in being a stage hunter and winning a stage in the GTs to winning a classic AF94.

Lovqvist has pedigree, Gerrans is fastidious, gutsy, determined, and an unparralleled work ethic, but he does not have TL class.
 
May 17, 2009
126
0
0
Visit site
ingsve said:
Lövkvist has improved in that respect at least in uphill sprints.
Lövkvist is pure diesel and doesn't have a sprint, period. He can grind a high gear on a steep climb, which is exactly how he won Monte Paschi Eroica.

Having Lövkvist with him can only be a plus for Gerrans.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
blackcat said:
huge difference in being a stage hunter and winning a stage in the GTs to winning a classic AF94.

Lovqvist has pedigree, Gerrans is fastidious, gutsy, determined, and an unparralleled work ethic, but he does not have TL class.

However, Gerrans is much punchier, He has a chance at the Amstel where the climbs are extremely short. Lovkvist doesn't have that good a chance at the Amstel.

At the Fléche the opposite would be true.
 
samb01 said:
Lövkvist is pure diesel and doesn't have a sprint, period. He can grind a high gear on a steep climb, which is exactly how he won Monte Paschi Eroica.

Having Lövkvist with him can only be a plus for Gerrans.

I guess that's true. But grinding a high gear in a steep hill has pretty much the same effect as a sprint though. The point is if the finish is a climb the he has a chance of finishing ahead of other riders which wouldn't be the case if it's flat.
 
Apr 29, 2009
380
1
0
Visit site
He's won 3 GT stages, I'm not going to call him a classics contender yet. His top 10's in the Ardennes this year were pretty anonymous. I think he may have thrown in an acceleration in the AGR but he was hardly active.

Lovkist is definitely the one with more potential of the two.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
issoisso said:
However, Gerrans is much punchier, He has a chance at the Amstel where the climbs are extremely short. Lovkvist doesn't have that good a chance at the Amstel.

At the Fléche the opposite would be true.
Gerrans does have a great finishing kick, you are right. Uphill, it is neutralised a little, not the Rebellin, Valverde, Ricco explosion uphill. Ofcourse, there may or may not be, a reason for that. Gerrans is with the other guys with finishing speed, who are not field sprinters, the above grimpeurs, and Gilbert, Cancellara, Pippo. Gerrans from a slow speed, can compete, in two up mano a mano situations, or small groups who roll thru slow, before jumping. Cancellara and most others would pump him in higher speed strength type finishes.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
blackcat said:
Gerrans does have a great finishing kick, you are right. Uphill, it is neutralised a little, not the Rebellin, Valverde, Ricco explosion uphill. Ofcourse, there may or may not be, a reason for that. Gerrans is with the other guys with finishing speed, who are not field sprinters, the above grimpeurs, and Gilbert, Cancellara, Pippo. Gerrans from a slow speed, can compete, in two up mano a mano situations, or small groups who roll thru slow, before jumping. Cancellara and most others would pump him in higher speed strength type finishes.

Oh but he does have a kick uphill. Notice the classics this year. In Liége for example he was one of the best out of the peloton in the uphill sprint.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
issoisso said:
Oh but he does have a kick uphill. Notice the classics this year. In Liége for example he was one of the best out of the peloton in the uphill sprint.
yeah, not doubting that. But those other three, they really explode.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
blackcat said:
yeah, not doubting that. But those other three, they really explode.

Two of them are suspended, though :p

But yes, Valverde has a tremendous acceleration. hat's why the classics suit him more than the mountain passes. Like today, for instance, the second half of the climb isn't very steep at all. Great for power climbers, sucky for Valverde.

Gerrans is much of the same mould when it comes to short punchy climbs such as those of the classics. Especially the Amstel. However, I'm not convinced he has the stamina to win the Amstel, which is constantly named by every classics rider as the hardest of the three ardennes classics.
 

TRENDING THREADS