• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Gilbert playing poker?

Is Gilbert playing poker?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After todays stage, I'm sure he is.

He wasn't that bad in Febuary at the Haut-Var and Nieuwsblad, therefore he should have been able to at least compete for a top 10 finish today, three weeks later on a very suitable finish for him.
Concidering his quality, he should be able to do that with maybe 80/85 per cent of his topform.

So i think, the way he's ridden so far, it's been more more a tactical thing, to take some pressure off him before the big races and leave the rivals in the dark.
He might build up more smoothly, but still he's playing that game.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nah, I'm sure he didn't went into the red zone today, but he's just looking for a slower build up than last year. Brabantse Pijl, mark that date on your calender.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's a point for him to "play poker". Regardless of his early form, he's gonna be a marked man in the ardennes, just like Cancellara was at R-V and P-R last year

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He won't be marked at Milan-San Remo ;)

A newspaper asked the peloton's opinion about Gilbert's chances at San Remo. If he truly is sandbagging, which I doubt, then it definitely worked.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but there would be a huge difference, for example at milan-san remo, if he arrives there, having already won strade bianche and one or two stages at tirreno. That could just be the slight advantage he needs for that race.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
No poker. He even texted to Dirk de Wolf that he is really bad.

Could be finish a little bit better today? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that his shape was never this bad during the entire 2011 season. I don't think there's any chance he'll be ready for MSR and the Ronde.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
No poker. He even texted to Dirk de Wolf that he is really bad.

Could be finish a little bit better today? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that his shape was never this bad during the entire 2011 season. I don't think there's any chance he'll be ready for MSR and the Ronde.

2009 says hi.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gilbert dominated in 2011, if he has the current form to do so again he would, he's not the type of rider to sandbagg or the type to try to trick others about his current form. And even if he id doing that there is no way the other riders won't be marking him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see you do it ;) It wasn't his only good result that spring, he clearly turned a bad early season shape into his best results in Monuments at that point. He also won the Cauberg sprint for example that year.

If third doesn't mean getting ready in time for the Ronde then I don't know what it does mean?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'd like to see you do it ;) It wasn't his only good result that spring, he clearly turned a bad early season shape into his best results in Monuments at that point. He also won the Cauberg sprint for example that year.

If third doesn't mean getting ready in time for the Ronde then I don't know what it does mean?

You think Farrar is a favorite as well? He had 0 chance to win De Ronde that year, Vlaanderen often ends in a semi-bunch sprint behind the people who made the race, but that doesn't mean those people could win (because the race never actually ends in a bunch sprint). If Gilbert only has his spring-2009 shape, he won't win a single classic. Luckily, I'm not as pessimistic as you are, still 1.5 month to Liege.