• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the Peloton really Cleaner? A Way to Find Out

When JV and some others claim the peloton is much cleaner, to the point where doping is not essential to winning, one of their main lines of evidence is that power stats on climbing stages are lower than they used to be. Just today, JV claimed that his rider Talansky averaged about 5.9 watts/kg on the final climb of the most recent Vuelta stage, and that JRod/Contador averaged about 6.1 watts/kg. The latter value, he said, was about what the 15th placed rider would do on a typical TDF stage in 2001.

I haven’t made the calculations to confirm this, but will take him at his word. But one of the problems in making comparisons like these, of course, is that there are so many variables that can’t be controlled in comparing different performances. A different climb; different terrain in the stage leading up to the climb; unevenness in the gradient of the climb; different race tactics; different weather conditions; and maybe some others. All of these factors can easily add 10% or more uncertainty to power calculations, which obscures a lot of the real differences in power that we are trying to determine.

The simplest way to avoid all or most of these issues, of course, is to put the riders on a machine, but riders and teams tend to be secretive about this information. Suppose, though, that power output on a machine were part of a GT? Suppose instead of a prologue, riders had to go all out on a simulated climb at some defined and perfectly even grade, say, 8%? The test could be set up so that each rider had to climb a set distance, so time gaps could be recorded. Since this exercise would constitute a stage in the GT—basically, a mountain ITT--and there would be noticeable time gaps, there would be a lot of incentive to go all out. Bingo, we have very clear power data for the entire peloton (or at least the GC contenders), which could be directly compared for different riders, and for the same rider at different times. If organizers agreed, the exact same test could be run at every GT.

I realize this doesn’t sound like real, outdoor competition, and the fans would object. One way to get around this is to have this “stage” be just one part of a two-stage day, perhaps run in the morning of the opening day, with the regular prologue run in the afternoon or evening. Since the latter is usually short, a short or medium-distance climb earlier in the day would not put an undue burden on the riders. It would have to be long enough to result in serious time gaps, and to get meaningful power data, but not so long that it would take too much out of the riders for the later stage. It would also be a wonderful way to set the stage for the GT. The rider with the highest watts/kg would be considered the favorite, at least on the climbing stages.

Another possibility is to have a real stage, on some climb that is fairly even in gradient and fairly well-protected from at least the worst wind conditions. This same stage would be held every year—again, perhaps part of a two-stage day—so that valid comparisons could be made over time. There might still be some weather factors, but by running the same stage year after year, with a couple of hundred riders, it should be possible to estimate how much they were affecting results.

I have long been puzzled that it’s been so difficult to establish if riders are cleaner today, and if they are, to what degree. A test like this should be able to determine power output to a variability of 1-2%, considerably less than what a typical transfusion is thought to supply. Furthermore, by tracking data over time, we might be able to augment the ABP; a suspiciously large increase in power over a fairly short time might be a sign to target some rider. Riders like the Sky bunch can get away with such increases now precisely because the differences in actual riding conditions can sufficiently muddle the situation so that no one is sure. JV will argue that Sky dominates because the peloton is cleaner. Is he right? Data under more controlled conditions that supported this would be much more credible.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
One problem with the first concept is that tactics are also part of an ITT, there is more to the victory than just power. Another problem, that you have alluded to, is trying to sell this 'stage'. Riders, fans, sponsors (certainly the bike companies!), media, host cities... lots of people to line up against this idea.

Repeating the same stage every year is also interesting, would certainly give us a baseline. Until they made a road surface improvement or lowered the legal weight limit of bicycles, anyway. Weather and improvements to equipment (and assorted other marginal gains, of course) would be the big issues, and would they not have sufficient impact to negate the 'sameness' of the stage?

Good thread, this should be an interesting discussion.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but if they come doped, what will the test prove?

f you prove in the test you can do 6.3 and on the mountain are only managing 5.9 adjusted?

Well JV didn't pick a very good example (or year). His boy who is supposed to be clean and the new white hope for cycling according to JV is comparable to a 2001 Roberto Heras.

The problem is finding clean riders of the past to compare with 'clean' riders of today.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Kender said:
how about a mountain ITT up the Alpe d'Huez every year

Not a bad idea. Also record and make publicly available the temperature, humidity and wind conditions at various points in the climb, along with the rider's weight that day.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Give the former Festina coach, Vayer, carte blanche. He saw Bassons in pre - season in comparison to Virenque et all. Hell, even a moderate talent like Vaughters was, knows the score. And, all with power metres. To hell with that 'bio passport', it only keeps the riders doping between the lines.

They turned cycling into Formula One, lets check the data then heh!

Mrs John Murphy said:
Well JV didn't pick a very good example (or year). His boy who is supposed to be clean and the new white hope for cycling according to JV is comparable to a 2001 Roberto Heras.

The problem is finding clean riders of the past to compare with 'clean' riders of today.
Moncoutié was 13th in 2002.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Only way to prevent doping for a GT is to quarantine all riders before and during the event.

Impossible? They do it to professional keiran riders in Japan for gambling intelligence purposes only.

<tongue-in-cheek emoticon>

A wide, gradual climb would be great. Paint the road with lines. Line 4 lanes going up. The lanes are numbered, and swap position, to even out distance around corners, wind effects, etc. Riders are allowed to pick there lane, at cost of 3 seconds of time added or whichever is decided by a rider representation. Else, you get a random one.
To limit weather influences, the start is very biathlon-style pursuit like. A dense individual start grid, all are released within minutes. Drafting is your own choice, but the grid is designed to make this very unattractive. Proposed by a committee based on knowledge of riders, input added by rider representation and race director.
So what you get, is a race that take a a good 10 minutes, the whole 189 or so riders set off within minutes, riders all over the place, no drafting by design, not by rule. Timing gates give progress every minute up the road or so. No cars, no support in anyway. No public either. And a really attractive prize at the finish. Both in time multiplied (like 4x or more), and money.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Give the former Festina coach, Vayer, carte blanche. He saw Bassons in pre - season in comparison to Virenque et all. Hell, even a moderate talent like Vaughters was, knows the score. And, all with power metres. To hell with that 'bio passport', it only keeps the riders doping between the lines.

They turned cycling into Formula One, lets check the data then heh!

To wit: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/interview-greg-lemond-18929/
LeMond wants to see SRM-type power meters employed to measure riders' power outputs. "In SRMs, we have a quantitative way to do that, but unfortunately there have only been a few riders who have ever given out that personal information," bemoans LeMond. "I talked to [now former] ASO boss Patrice Clerc about having everyone on an SRM that's sealed. It would be controlled and calibrated by doctors, the police – but not the teams.

"You'd get a continuous output of power recorded during a Tour stage and then if you found someone who had a VO2 Max of 80 and he was doing 500 watts for 30 minutes, you'd know that that was statistically and mathematically impossible to do. So then he's positive – boom! – he's out – that's doping. That's it – it's simple."

Pedaling Squares:
Repeating the same stage every year is also interesting, would certainly give us a baseline.

Well, the TdF does end pretty much on a similar note each year... of course, tactics and race events do play a huge role to the configuration of the final approach & it's mostly flat.

But really, to be honest, not a big fan of the idea... Doping is the cancer of the sport, but setting what amounts to a giant scientific test just for the sake of comparison would be a terrible outcome for the sport (and as said before, would those raw numbers be actually useful to distinguish dopers?).

Uncertainty is an essential part of the sport, and even in a sanitized environment you won't get rid of some of those variables. I do realize that current elite athletes are finely tuned people capable of very consistent performances, yet even on a machine they may have a day "without" or be under pressure. To pretend to scientific standard, wouldn't it need to be several tests on a longer period of time? And the riders isolated from each others (and their results)?

To be honest, while I certainly understand the never-ending quest to spot cheaters, I always found that people here were a bit too hasty to jump on any performance deemed out of the ordinary and that too much weight was given to all those values (watts, VO2...) often judged on arbitrary and narrow grounds (and as you remind us: most of the times we are left with educated guesses as those numbers are so secretive nowadays).

I fully get that a constant/spiked increases over certain periods to time in some values (average speeds, performances...) for a rider/team/peloton may certainly be indicative of doping; but once again it is the very essence of the sport that the unexpected may happen. Road racing by nature happens in an outside, fluid environment, after all.

I see the appeal in those type of observations: I myself believed Armstrong was a cheater after his little Hautacam show in 2000 and as we all know our suspicions were confirmed -beyond or below our worst expectations-. In hindsight, judging a man on a single performance was not sensible or rational (the sheer repetition of the exploits and the "USPS Train", however...). There's something a bit meaningless in that, unless you can establish that the anomalies are no longer exceptions.

Ultimately, only long tedious investigative & scientific work (by doping agencies of the police) can make the difference there. Spotting those on the juice at first sight is a comforting fiction we would all like to live in... but in truth followers like us (or me, at the very least) are powerless to do that.

(That being said, I wouldn't mind a large scientific study in the lines of what you mention. Maybe as a part of the bio-passport or as a qualification formality for the riders. But not as part of the race proper.)

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Since a field test outside brings too much course variation, and inside on a machine is too difficult a sell, how about an indoor TT on the track? Controlled temp, no wind, same course, and very fan friendly (fans in Roubaix will back me up here).

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
silverrocket said:
Since a field test outside brings too much course variation, and inside on a machine is too difficult a sell, how about an indoor TT on the track? Controlled temp, no wind, same course, and very fan friendly (fans in Roubaix will back me up here).

because unless it's a prologue you kinda need the TT to be a decent length.

Distance 20km (little short for a GT ITT but will do for this example)
Average Speed 50km/h (estimate since they attain close to 47km/h average over 40km on the road.)

Assuming you can only have 1 on the track at a time so there is no drafting (because that would screw up power data) it would take 3 days the get through all the riders with no breaks

not going to work

edit p.s even at 4km with same numbers it will take over 16 hours with very small gaps between riders

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
because unless it's a prologue you kinda need the TT to be a decent length.

Distance 20km (little short for a GT ITT but will do for this example)
Average Speed 50km/h (estimate since they attain close to 47km/h average over 40km on the road.)

Assuming you can only have 1 on the track at a time so there is no drafting (because that would screw up power data) it would take 3 days the get through all the riders

not going to work

5-6 hours max. Noone is going to put 4 minutes into someone over 20km if they are going flat stick and ordered in roughly reverse ability order. Which is rarely the case (flat stick) in real racing life.

Personally think all this is conjecture anyway. People peak differently and with different schedules. Personally I'd be looking to hit my straps at the end of week 1.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
the big ring said:
5-6 hours max. Noone is going to put 4 minutes into someone over 20km if they are going flat stick and ordered in roughly reverse ability order. Which is rarely the case (flat stick) in real racing life.

Personally think all this is conjecture anyway. People peak differently and with different schedules. Personally I'd be looking to hit my straps at the end of week 1.

24 mins per rider, 1 rider ont he track at a time. you only going to get 15 riders to do the TT?

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
24 mins per rider, 1 rider ont he track at a time. you only going to get 15 riders to do the TT?

Your desire to only have 1 rider on the track to avoid drafting, when they take 24 minutes to complete it, is missing the point: if you start 2 minutes after someone you will never catch them. Therefore drafting is not a problem.

180 riders x 2 minutes = 6 hours + 24 minutes for the final competitor.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:

My bad - I did not twig that you want to do this on an indoor velodrome, where experience in riding on a track would make a significant difference in performance.

Do you have any idea how boring it is to do 80 laps of a track for a 20km TT. By yourself?

Yuck. No.

Slap a powermeter on everyone, do a VO2 max test with a protocol that excludes charging (onsite for a week or more wtf ever) then go from there.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
the big ring said:
Your desire to only have 1 rider on the track to avoid drafting, when they take 24 minutes to complete it, is missing the point: if you start 2 minutes after someone you will never catch them. Therefore drafting is not a problem.

180 riders x 2 minutes = 6 hours + 24 minutes for the final competitor.

you missed the context i was reply to originally. the guy above my first post wanted the TT to be on a track (velodrome) 2 minute separatin means nothing when you can do a couple of laps in less time than that. 24 mins with 2 min separation = 12 on the track

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
you missed the context i was reply to originally. the guy above my first post wanted the TT to be on a track (velodrome) 2 minute separatin means nothing when you can do a couple of laps in less time than that

Yes realised my mistake when I scrolled up more and read it again. Apologies.

Merckx index said:
The simplest way to avoid all or most of these issues, of course, is to put the riders on a machine, but riders and teams tend to be secretive about this information. Suppose, though, that power output on a machine were part of a GT? Suppose instead of a prologue, riders had to go all out on a simulated climb at some defined and perfectly even grade, say, 8%? The test could be set up so that each rider had to climb a set distance, so time gaps could be recorded. Since this exercise would constitute a stage in the GT—basically, a mountain ITT--and there would be noticeable time gaps, there would be a lot of incentive to go all out. Bingo, we have very clear power data for the entire peloton (or at least the GC contenders), which could be directly compared for different riders, and for the same rider at different times. If organizers agreed, the exact same test could be run at every GT.

I realize this doesn’t sound like real, outdoor competition, and the fans would object. One way to get around this is to have this “stage” be just one part of a two-stage day, perhaps run in the morning of the opening day, with the regular prologue run in the afternoon or evening. Since the latter is usually short, a short or medium-distance climb earlier in the day would not put an undue burden on the riders. It would have to be long enough to result in serious time gaps, and to get meaningful power data, but not so long that it would take too much out of the riders for the later stage. It would also be a wonderful way to set the stage for the GT. The rider with the highest watts/kg would be considered the favorite, at least on the climbing stages.
Fun and radical idea Merckx (rather like the radical idea that your avatar namesake Asho proposed a couple of years ago which was to make pro riders carry a gps receiver everywhere they go so you can find them for random spot testing), but the main problem that needs to be overcome is how not to advantage/disadvantage individual riders due to differences in bodyweight. You cannot "simulate" a climb in the lab which is the same for everyone because riders of different bodyweight generate different power output on the same hill.

If you assign a set total work value to be completed (eg: 500 kJ which would take 18:31 @ 450W or 18:56 @ 440W) then this favors larger more powerful riders. If you simply assign a value of say 7 kJ/kg (500 kJ for a 71.4kg rider) then you favor the lightest riders because not ALL of that extra weight carried by the big riders is converted to power. You need to use a bodyweight scaling exponent. When comparing VO2max the suggested value is to raise bw to the power of 0.67 (or 0.75) to get a more fair comparison. There are some studies which examine the effect of bodyweight on hill climbing power output and they might be able to provide some guidance also.

If you did that and everyone agreed upon the protocol it might work. You just need to truck in 20 properly calibrated cycle ergometers and then go for it. Sure it wouldn't be tv worthy but it would give fans and doping authorities alike some peace of mind.

LeMonds SRM idea.

Have a genuine disqualification prologue and ITT - if riders want to soft pedal and become X% behind the winner (or average, whatever), they are out.

And ban team "doctors". Have neutral medical staff, thats it.

And completely independent testing. UCI administers and promotes the sport, thats it.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
LeMonds SRM idea.

Have a genuine disqualification prologue and ITT - if riders want to soft pedal and become X% behind the winner (or average, whatever), they are out.

And ban team "doctors". Have neutral medical staff, thats it.

And completely independent testing. UCI administers and promotes the sport, thats it.

Agree on SRM.
Agree on attempting to illicit a real value via exclusion.
Definitely agree on neutral medical staff.
Independent testing - definitely. Add some transparency here too.
UCI: administers & promotes. Not so keen. Something else is required in there, from both a reality POV (sock height? zipped up jerseys? UCI approved clothing? really?)

Then there's the race organiser's themselves.

When I look at the relationship between ASO and UCI - ASO picked up every single cycling "globalisation" project as well as television rights to the Tour of California - I think a little more is required to clean things up. Particularly considering ASO's Patrice Clerc got the boot pre-LA comeback.

More needs to be done to make the sport sustainable for the riders & teams (eg: via profit sharing of TV broadcast rights).