Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
biokemguy said:
First Walsh says this:

Then later he says this:

I wouldn't call these directly contradictory, but they certainly aren't consistent. If Froome is clean, then his training should be radically different than at Barloworld to get the massive and sudden improvement we saw in 2011.
I think what he is saying there, is the weight loss is key. "relative to his loss of weight " is a key portion of that quote.
His power hasn't changed much. (no idea if this is true or not, but Walsh says so)

A quick look at the photos from the time, show that he was quite heavier at Barloworld.

Is it enough ? No idea.

May 26, 2010
Catwhoorg said:
I think what he is saying there, is the weight loss is key. "relative to his loss of weight " is a key portion of that quote.
His power hasn't changed much. (no idea if this is true or not, but Walsh says so)

A quick look at the photos from the time, show that he was quite heavier at Barloworld.

Is it enough ? No idea.
So Walsh is saying that Froome just had to lose weight to win a TdF?

Lose weight gain TT power? not believable.

Jul 6, 2010
JMBeaushrimp said:
Quick collection of awesome Walsh quotes from the CN interview:

"the people who’ve read the book have been very complimentary and the people who haven’t read the book have been much less complimentary"

"I’m pretty certain that if anyone comes to it with an open mind, then it will contribute a little bit to their understanding of what Team Sky is about"

"I can tell you now that it’s not a possibility because the people who are the pillars of the management, people like Brailsford, Tim Kerrison, Rod Ellingworth, the lead doctor Alan Farrell and the lead carer Mario Pafundi, they’re just not those kind of people."

"If somebody told me now that Rod Ellingworth was actually secretly bringing drugs into the team, I’d say that’s an absolute lie. Why? Because I know the man."

"The common thing about those who are sceptical and don’t believe is that they compare Team Sky with US Postal because of their success, right?"

"I do think it’s possible to find out [if a team is clean] and that’s what journalism should be about."

"We knew at US Postal that Armstrong always wanted a room alone, perhaps for good reason. Chris Froome preferred to share it with his mate Richie Porte."

"Now imagine Chris Froome in a room with Richie Porte – can you imagine Froome was doping and Porte wasn’t?"

"I think your question is an absolutely valid one and the answer is no, I’m not intimately acquainted with how other coaches in other teams operate."

"“That stuff is no good for you. We’re here to eat the right food, and you bringing that to the table is lowering the dietary and nutritional standard.” I just thought that kind of attitude was impressive."

"Of course it doesn’t mean they’re clean, but tell me something that indicates they’re dirty."

"What evidence do you have that they used Gonzalez’s death as a pretext (for hiring Leinders)?"

" I do want to believe"

"So even though I wanted to believe, I don’t think my eyes were closed. I just felt Froome in particular is a really interesting man. I think in terms of his character, he’s a pretty special fellow."

"I don’t want to be providing an explanation because I don’t know. I absolutely don’t know."

"I’ve seen what the exercise physiologist at Barloworld has done and his view is that there is certainly nothing that Froome is doing now that is that different."

"I think it’s not good enough to say to somebody ‘did you dope?’ and that person says ‘no, I didn’t dope’ and you accept their word and that’s it. You feel you don’t need to go any further than that."

"I think Dave Brailsford is trying to make the best of it, get the guys to sign the form so that legally they’re covered but is the team forensically researching the background of all the guys it employs? Clearly not."

"I didn’t go to follow Team Sky as a fan, I went to follow them as a journalist."

"The easiest thing in the world to do is to sit on the fence, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and let you the reader make up your mind. I don’t believe in that."

And my personal favourite:

"And I thought that’s where we’re at now, with this kind of nonsense being peddled as journalism."
Forgot to mention how irritated I am with Sky's stupid "carer" moniker for the soigneurs.

How long until they refer to the domestiques as "race assistants" or "performance serfs"?

Still waiting for an "I like their credibility" from Walsh...

May 26, 2010
JMBeaushrimp said:
Forgot to mention how irritated I am with Sky's stupid "carer" moniker for the soigneurs.

How long until they refer to the domestiques as "race assistants" or "performance serfs"?

Still waiting for an "I like their credibility" from Walsh...
And Walsh using 'carer' shows how far he has become part of the PR.

Benotti69 said:
So Walsh is saying that Froome just had to lose weight to win a TdF?

Lose weight gain TT power? not believable.
I do think British Cycling knows a thing or two about ITT coaching (track and road). It has been a strength for many years.

More power or better position ?

Jul 21, 2012
Catwhoorg said:
I do think British Cycling knows a thing or two about ITT coaching (track and road). It has been a strength for many years.

Probably right. Kerrison can just look at you and figure out how to improve your position better than any wind tunnel can.

Apr 20, 2012
Catwhoorg said:

Good thing they hired a swimming coach for the climbing part.

Genuine question

Didn't someone use nutella to hide dope of some sort ?

In one of the many testimonies/interviews over the recent years I could swear I read about that, but cannot specifically recall who said it. Anyone got a pointer they could share ?

Dec 14, 2012
Benotti69 said:
Froome can ride faster up mountains than dopers on EPO and you and Walsh believe this is clean racing?

Froome's Barloworld numbers are very close to his Sky numbers, but these are not released! Yeah the transparency is so evident that of course they are clean.

Only BS here is Walsh spewing Sky's BS.
So Froome had the same power numbers with more weight on another team that was dirty as f***. I swear this is an insult to cycling fans intelligence.

Gawd Lance, you're bringing down the nutritional value at that table..

hfer07 said:
merda!! how could we have ever underestimated the almighty powers of NUTELA? :rolleyes:

Is its hidden formula even better that Beet root juice? :eek::D
ZTP on Nutella.

What about poor old David Lopez? Victimised for his love of Nutella?

Do you get the feeling they were playing pranks on Walsh?

"Ok here he comes. Lopez pull out the jar and we'll all pretend we're offend. Let's see if we can get this story in the book!"

ASK THE COMMUNITY