Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 231 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 14, 2015
245
1
3,030
Re:

TeflonDub said:
What a lame-ass article from Walsh after suggesting he was going to go after Team Sky. Here's my recap: https://twitter.com/teflondub/status/779854710928973824

Here's the article: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/dark-clouds-over-sky-288z6zv7h
Brailsford running to tell on Astana who were tipped off by hotel staff that doping control officers were coming to Teide in two days. As if they all train there for any other reason than to make sure they have a couple of days notice to stop glowing so they won't have any missed test strikes against them.

Walsh sounds like a doting grandfather talking about the fine character of all the people in Sky from Brailsford down to mechanics who have been let down by evil Wiggo going to the dark side unbeknownst to all of them. This article is nothing like what Walsh was talking it up to be on Twitter on Saturday. Rather than taking a swing at Freeman in particular if not Brailsford, Walsh does everything he can to inoculate Team Sky from catching the terminal illness that he wishes on Wiggo. It's pathetic.

He finishes off the article by saying that the Wiggins interview by Marr shows Marr woefully unprepared to get to the finer points of the story, so Wiggins likely did enough to have all the fanboys come out swinging.
 
May 26, 2009
3,687
1
0
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re:

Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.

I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
I wonder does Walsh write a piece and then Brailsford rewrites it with others.

That tweet is big difference in tone from the article. Article portrays Wiggins and lone wolf and no one in Team Sky knew what was happening.
 
Sep 10, 2016
158
0
0
Re:

Benotti69 said:
I wonder does Walsh write a piece and then Brailsford rewrites it with others.

That tweet is big difference in tone from the article. Article portrays Wiggins and lone wolf and no one in Team Sky knew what was happening.
One thing to bear in mind is that this piece will have gone through a fine tooth comb at ST legal dept. so maybe the tweets - and the cynical tone in today's 5Live interview - are his way of putting back in what got taken out

Still have big issues with that piece though

Wait for Brailsford fight back to commence in about 24 hours...
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

MmeDesgrange said:
Benotti69 said:
I wonder does Walsh write a piece and then Brailsford rewrites it with others.

That tweet is big difference in tone from the article. Article portrays Wiggins and lone wolf and no one in Team Sky knew what was happening.
One thing to bear in mind is that this piece will have gone through a fine tooth comb at ST legal dept. so maybe the tweets - and the cynical tone in today's 5Live interview - are his way of putting back in what got taken out

Still have big issues with that piece though

Wait for Brailsford fight back to commence in about 24 hours...
I am expecting Walsh to take stock of his situation in the next few weeks. He could well be remembered as Sky's gimp, rather than Armstrong's nememis, if he doesn't do something soon.

I hope he takes the harder road.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.

I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
Walsh had several witness accounts that enabled him to legitimately call out Armstrong. Professional journalists actually need evidence of wrong-doing. It's not like the clinic.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Benotti69 said:
Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.

I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
Walsh had several witness accounts that enabled him to legitimately call out Armstrong. Professional journalists actually need evidence of wrong-doing. It's not like the clinic.
Is telling lies not evidence of wrong doing?

Brailsford certainly seems to think so hence he has gone into hiding. The team doctors all disappeared and are not talking. Why? "no rules were broken"......but yet the silence is deafening.

Walsh cant get any witnesses to talk, but then he was a willing part in the myth building, "yellow butterfly" and all that bollix!

If no wrong doing, why were Wiggins, Brailsford and the 3 specialists that Wiggins alleges signed him off on needing these injections, not in Manchester talking to press explaining "no rules were broken"?

Because, we can hazard a good guess that no specialists were involved, it was breaking rules. Lies about asthma and allergies.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
JRanton said:
Benotti69 said:
Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.

I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
Walsh had several witness accounts that enabled him to legitimately call out Armstrong. Professional journalists actually need evidence of wrong-doing. It's not like the clinic.
Is telling lies not evidence of wrong doing?

Brailsford certainly seems to think so hence he has gone into hiding. The team doctors all disappeared and are not talking. Why? "no rules were broken"......but yet the silence is deafening.

Walsh cant get any witnesses to talk, but then he was a willing part in the myth building, "yellow butterfly" and all that bollix!

If no wrong doing, why were Wiggins, Brailsford and the 3 specialists that Wiggins alleges signed him off on needing these injections, not in Manchester talking to press explaining "no rules were broken"?

Because, we can hazard a good guess that no specialists were involved, it was breaking rules. Lies about asthma and allergies.
I'd imagine the answer to your questions is that Wiggins hasn't given Brailsford et al permission to speak about his medical records. The same thing prevents anyone from the governing bodies commenting on the specific issue.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Benotti69 said:
JRanton said:
Benotti69 said:
Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.

I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
Walsh had several witness accounts that enabled him to legitimately call out Armstrong. Professional journalists actually need evidence of wrong-doing. It's not like the clinic.
Is telling lies not evidence of wrong doing?

Brailsford certainly seems to think so hence he has gone into hiding. The team doctors all disappeared and are not talking. Why? "no rules were broken"......but yet the silence is deafening.

Walsh cant get any witnesses to talk, but then he was a willing part in the myth building, "yellow butterfly" and all that bollix!

If no wrong doing, why were Wiggins, Brailsford and the 3 specialists that Wiggins alleges signed him off on needing these injections, not in Manchester talking to press explaining "no rules were broken"?

Because, we can hazard a good guess that no specialists were involved, it was breaking rules. Lies about asthma and allergies.
I'd imagine the answer to your questions is that Wiggins hasn't given Brailsford et al permission to speak about his medical records. The same thing prevents anyone from the governing bodies commenting on the specific issue.
Well if that is the case, why has Braislford not come out and said that Wiggins has refused us permission to speak about any of Wiggins medical issues?

He has gone into hiding because he lied and has been caught.
 
Chaddy said:
How many close friends has Saint Paul lost over the years due to his attitude?
Some things are worth more than friendship. As Kimmage himself once said in a Sam Abt interview:
"I love this sport. It was from love of the sport that I took the decision to write the book. Because it would have been easy to take a job on the paper, say nothing, and be buddy-buddy and pally-wally with everyone. But what service would I have done to the kids who were coming into the game?"
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Franklin said:
He has to protect Sky as it's a serious black mark on his career if he has to confess he has been bamboozled from day one.
Kimmage suggests Walsh's ego and celebrity as the man who brought Armstrong down got in the way of seeing the truth of Sky.
That's only half of what he says.
Benotti69 said:
I think Walsh saw the writing on the wall. It was either write the PR fluff pro sky or go try and find another job. Walsh saw the book deals and the wholeshebang that would snowball in his favour. Walsh sold out. Now the instruction appear to be to protect Sky/Brailsford. Walsh doing a great job of that.
That's the other half.
 
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
I'd imagine the answer to your questions is that Wiggins hasn't given Brailsford et al permission to speak about his medical records. The same thing prevents anyone from the governing bodies commenting on the specific issue.
You raise an important point that many have chosen to overlook: this is confidential information, it's only in the public domain becuase of an illegal hack.

However, I choose to disagree with you: what is to be gained by Brailsford et al speaking? Will they change minds? No. Will they prolong the debate? Yes. Wiggins going on a non-sporting respected mainstream programme fronted by a heavyweight interviewer, that calms the millions in the middle, the millions who CGAS about doping. It is easy to forget this, but we who shout and scream and moan about doping and the hypocrisy associated with doping, we're in the minority. We are not the audience here.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Well if that is the case, why has Braislford not come out and said that Wiggins has refused us permission to speak about any of Wiggins medical issues?

He has gone into hiding because he lied and has been caught.
Maybe Wiggo got some advice from Paula Radcliffe on super secret injunctions.

When was the last time Brailsford spoke publicly? If we're going to say his failure to respond is abnormal and therefore proof of something, could we at least define normal first? GRMA.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
Well if that is the case, why has Braislford not come out and said that Wiggins has refused us permission to speak about any of Wiggins medical issues?

He has gone into hiding because he lied and has been caught.
Maybe Wiggo got some advice from Paula Radcliffe on super secret injunctions.

When was the last time Brailsford spoke publicly? If we're going to say his failure to respond is abnormal and therefore proof of something, could we at least define normal first? GRMA.
Team director has nothing to say about a rider's misuse of a TUE when his rider became the 1st British winner of the TdF!

I think the silence is not normal.

Brailsford got Knighted because of this, so he may want to clarify matters, that is indeed if things need to be clarified, cause it all looks rather like the normal course of events in pro-cycling just keep on turning as per normal. Doping still a massive part of the sport as per normal.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
Maybe someday someone will pen a book about the rise and fall of David Walsh. Done sterling work with Lance and then threw it all away for forty pieces of silver.
He's reverted to what he was. Some people choose to forget what he was.
It has been pointed out plenty, in this thread even, that prior to Armstrong Walsh was indeed a sports fan with a typewriter.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Team director has nothing to say about a rider's misuse of a TUE when his rider became the 1st British winner of the TdF!

I think the silence is not normal.

Brailsford got Knighted because of this, so he may want to clarify matters, that is indeed if things need to be clarified, cause it all looks rather like the normal course of events in pro-cycling just keep on turning as per normal. Doping still a massive part of the sport as per normal.
So, no definition of normal then, just digging your heels in further. 'kay.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
2
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
Team director has nothing to say about a rider's misuse of a TUE when his rider became the 1st British winner of the TdF!

I think the silence is not normal.

Brailsford got Knighted because of this, so he may want to clarify matters, that is indeed if things need to be clarified, cause it all looks rather like the normal course of events in pro-cycling just keep on turning as per normal. Doping still a massive part of the sport as per normal.
So, no definition of normal then, just digging your heels in further. 'kay.
normal
ˈnɔːm(ə)l/Submit
adjective
1.
conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

CGL
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY