• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Israel Start-Up Nation

Israel Start-Up Nation!

"Founded to elevate and popularize the sport of cycling in Israel and other emerging countries".

A team with huge ambition, took over Katusha's license in 2019. Guy Sagiv, current Israeli national champion, is on the team. Chris Froome, multiple Tour-winner, will join soon.

Who else will come, who will leave? Where will they be in 2022?

I love that the first rider you mention is Guy Sagiv, definitively their biggest star so far. :D

Jokes aside, I like(d) this team a lot for a couple of reasons but I also think they are now taking a step too big. I prefer teams to slowly develop and not just buy whatever and whoever is on the market.

Greipel certainly is a nice guy... but it is a surprising strategy indeed to focus on old-older riders. As a massive fan of Lionel Messi I still would not buy him and build my football-team around him in 2020. And ISN already has this rather old team. Now they do not only want Froome, but also van Avermaet?

Greipel certainly is a nice guy... but it is a surprising strategy indeed to focus on old-older riders. As a massive fan of Lionel Messi I still would not buy him and build my football-team around him in 2020. And ISN already has this rather old team. Now they do not only want Froome, but also van Avermaet?
Pay attention to the second line of your OP.
Is there a better way to meet the ambition?

Pay attention to the second line of your OP.
Is there a better way to meet the ambition?

Yeah, true in a way. It's a way of acting on this ambition. I suppose it's tough to get the best youngsters if you are not one of the big players and do not have to offer the best and proven structures, either. So maybe it's easier to first become accepted as a big team through signings like this and then you can draw other promising riders to your team. But I would then at least try to get some younger riders who can now help out and become strong leaders themselves in the not so far away future.

Well, no doubt they know better what they are doing than I would, but I am wondering what their reasoning is like, exactly.

After a couple of rather dismal years, I have to say they're making a decent contribution to the Giro this year. Particularly enjoying Derek Gee's 'De Gendt' impersonation so far.

De Marchi probably wishes he had stayed with the team.
DeMarche has been on a good level all season at Jayco and is given free reign to chase breakaways in races - He's been unfortunate that prior to the Giro no break had won a WT stage and he's been strong enough in the Giro, but hasn't got to the final with the right combination of riders - I hope Jayco takes him to the Vuelta as he's always performed well in this race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
DeMarche has been on a good level all season at Jayco and is given free reign to chase breakaways in races - He's been unfortunate that prior to the Giro no break had won a WT stage and he's been strong enough in the Giro, but hasn't got to the final with the right combination of riders - I hope Jayco takes him to the Vuelta as he's always performed well in this race.
Yeah, De Marchi is usually clearly better during the 2nd half of the season. No idea if it's the warmer temperatures or him just needing a decent amount of racing days.

I think Fuglsang will score big at the Tour… If he‘s very good, he could achieve the GC podium there.

Froome will be another rider to watch at the Tour. In his case, if he peaks in time, even the GC victory seems possible.

With Froome, Pozzovivo, Clarke, Fuglsang, Schultz, Nizzolo, Teuns and Impey, everything will be possible. If all goes well, at the Tour, we could see a GC podium consisting of Froome, Pozzovivo and Fuglsang.

We should know more after Dauphine and TdS…

• Haha
I think Fuglsang will score big at the Tour… If he‘s very good, he could achieve the GC podium there.

Froome will be another rider to watch at the Tour. In his case, if he peaks in time, even the GC victory seems possible.

With Froome, Pozzovivo, Clarke, Fuglsang, Schultz, Nizzolo, Teuns and Impey, everything will be possible. If all goes well, at the Tour, we could see a GC podium consisting of Froome, Pozzovivo and Fuglsang.

Yeah, they'll be so strong in the Tour, that everyone will agree to award Froome a 6th victory as well just for him to not come back next year and beat them again.

Yes, Dauphiné and TdS will be very interesting in giving perspectives of a possible podium sweep.

Teuns for polkadot and Nizzolo for green also seems quite within reach.

TRENDING THREADS