• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
AG2R one and maybe Bora the other giving him the 1st choice of which GT to lead ahead of the other GC riders on their teams and UAE and Movistar maybe offering being leader or co-leader of 1 GT per season
Bora have Buchman, and as we know from the whole Bennett-to-Quickstep, they prefer to have a German leader. Unless they've learned their lesson on that.

I can see Movistar writing him a blank check if one of Lopez, Mas or Soler doesn't podium the Tour this year.

Frankly, I'm surprised to not see Trek's name in there. Nibali and Mollema are barely good enough for stage hunting any more, and Ciccone is a top 10/stage hunter type rider, and what else do they have?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bora have Buchman, and as we know from the whole Bennett-to-Quickstep, they prefer to have a German leader. Unless they've learned their lesson on that.

I can see Movistar writing him a blank check if one of Lopez, Mas or Soler doesn't podium the Tour this year.

Frankly, I'm surprised to not see Trek's name in there. Nibali and Mollema are barely good enough for stage hunting any more, and Ciccone is a top 10/stage hunter type rider, and what else do they have?

I don't know if Trek has the money?

Wonder if this is an example of what Wiggins and Lefevere mentioned about football agents entering cycling. That this is a smaller sport where it is important to maintain good relationships all-around and to not burn bridges.
I am not sure if the teams involved are going to be annoyed that Correia went this route but I wouldn't be surprised about it either. Then again I expected a much harsher tone against DQS than was the case now.

And sure Lefevere may have been lacking tact as well but 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

2 wrongs don’t make a right... agree with that 100%

as far as the football agent goes and all the nonsense about Jorge Mendes being Almeida’s agent it’s simply not true!

Jorge Mendes only taken care of Almeida image and making sponsorship arrangements in his behalf. Like the new contract of João being the Hyundai ambassador in Portugal.
João Correia is Almeida Agent in terms of all contract renewal or signings

IMO it’s time to end this urban myth because it’s simply not true.

regarding the choice that Almeida has to make, I remember that 3 months ago I saw a podcast where he was interviewed about his future and he said then that the money was important but not the priority for him, and that the priority would be the role that he was expecting to have in the team.
So we’ll see if that is going to be the case when it turns public his team of choice

So as I see it, a proven GC rider is leaving a team with only one GT rider to go to another team with potentially more than one GT rider? I don't understand, why can't he stay at QS and they build a team around him in the GT's, as well as having their classic riders? Must be more going on behind the scenes for him wanting to leave.

So as I see it, a proven GC rider is leaving a team with only one GT rider to go to another team with potentially more than one GT rider? I don't understand, why can't he stay at QS and they build a team around him in the GT's, as well as having their classic riders? Must be more going on behind the scenes for him wanting to leave.
The leaving QS part is clearly a money issue. Both parties probably would like to stay together, but they are not close to an agreement on salary.
I also think that it is easier to have for example Buchmann and Almeida as your 2 GT leaders than it is to have Evenepoel and Almeida. Send Almeida to the TT heavier GT and Buchmann to the other one. Much harder for Almeida and Evenepoel since they both are great TTers.

The leaving QS part is clearly a money issue. Both parties probably would like to stay together, but they are not close to an agreement on salary.
I also think that it is easier to have for example Buchmann and Almeida as your 2 GT leaders than it is to have Evenepoel and Almeida. Send Almeida to the TT heavier GT and Buchmann to the other one. Much harder for Almeida and Evenepoel since they both are great TTers.
This would be an even easier question for Movistar.

Almeida said he would prioritize role vs money, but he also said money is important, DQS don't have the kind of money needed to keep him...

João Correia said in the interview that DQ made a very bad proposal as far as money goes because they don’t believe that João is as good as he think he is atm. He also said that the other 4 offerings are way better than DQ so it’s a non brainer.
As leading role, nobody believes that João would stand a chance with the likes of Remco in the same team. Maybe João could be the leader in one GT, the one that’s left after Remco chosing the ones that he wants. So money and leading role not good enough for João in DQ.

Finished reading an interview given by Almeida agent “João Correia” to one of the biggest Portuguese daily newspapers “Público” that came out just today and as important notes retained from it:

There are untill now 4 proposals to sign Almeida, Bora, UAE, AG2R and Movistar and on August the 1st people will know which one will sign him.(the decision as not been made yet)

Almeida wants to go to the Olympics even if that means he won’t go to “La Vuelta”

Almeida agent said that he hopes that Almeida gets called to the Olympics and that he don’t wants to Almeida ride in “La Vuelta”, he thinks that Almeida is to young to do 2 GT in a season and that it would be a mistake.

He also said that Almeida would love to stay in DQ because it’s João’s favorite team but according to the agent they gave him low numbers in their renewal proposal while the other 4 teams proposed high contract figures and 2 of them the opportunity of the main Leading role for GTs.

As to that last part...QST offered him a renewal last year. Reaction of Almeida and his agent: « ow don’t worry about renewing now, no need to talk, we can do that later ». In the meantime he already had an offer from UAE (or another team) and supposedly an (verbal?) agreement of some sorts. So I would take that comment from Correia with a grain of salt.

• Wow
Bhx6ug7.jpg

(just memeing btw)

Last edited:
Like i said before, he might be better off at DQT since they will need to start building a GC/climbing team around Evenepoel anyway, and you always need more riders than you can put in your squad, considering form issues or injuries. So he can be 100% sure the team is going to invest in mountain/GC domestiques anyway. Other than Evenepoel, there is no other potential GT/GC guy at the team anyway. The teams that do not have at least one other GT/GC guy either suck at GC's or don't exist. So from that perspective, he isn't going to improve his situation by leaving DQT, imho.

But from what we've heard, is that they didn't even come close to a consensus regarding financials. Rumors have it that Evenepoel isn't on some huge contract either, because he values being at DQT over money. But it may prove a mistake for Almeida, we'll know in a year or two. Evenepoel can't ride 3 GT's per year, and there will be GC support coming anyway. Going to Bora, there is Buchmann, Kelderman, Schachmann, Kämna, Konrad & Grossschartner. And then there will be Uijtdebroeks coming in 2 to 3 years as well. It only needs one breakthrough GT from Kämna, and he's much worse off at Bora than DQT. I don't rate those riders higher than him, but plenty of 1 week races will go to the likes of Schachmann, Konrad, Kämna or Grossschartner regardless, or even Fabbro. All the talk about Remco being Belgian at a Belgian team, but he'd supposedly be leaving to ride for a German team, full of German/Austrian GC guys. I'm sure Bora would prefer parading results with Buchmann over Almeida.

But again, i get why he's leaving, but whether or not it will prove to be the better choice remains to be seen.

This would be an even easier question for Movistar.
Because they have not been known to throw riders under the bus when it suits them, and are known for their tactical cunning. But i get what you mean (regarding ITT heavy GTs).

Like i said before, he might be better off at DQT since they will need to start building a GC/climbing team around Evenepoel anyway, and you always need more riders than you can put in your squad, considering form issues or injuries. So he can be 100% sure the team is going to invest in mountain/GC domestiques anyway. Other than Evenepoel, there is no other potential GT/GC guy at the team anyway. The teams that do not have at least one other GT/GC guy either suck at GC's or don't exist. So from that perspective, he isn't going to improve his situation by leaving DQT, imho.

But from what we've heard, is that they didn't even come close to a consensus regarding financials. Rumors have it that Evenepoel isn't on some huge contract either, because he values being at DQT over money. But it may prove a mistake for Almeida, we'll know in a year or two. Evenepoel can't ride 3 GT's per year, and there will be GC support coming anyway. Going to Bora, there is Buchmann, Kelderman, Schachmann, Kämna, Konrad & Grossschartner. And then there will be Uijtdebroeks coming in 2 to 3 years as well. It only needs one breakthrough GT from Kämna, and he's much worse off at Bora than DQT. I don't rate those riders higher than him, but plenty of 1 week races will go to the likes of Schachmann, Konrad, Kämna or Grossschartner regardless, or even Fabbro. All the talk about Remco being Belgian at a Belgian team, but he'd supposedly be leaving to ride for a German team, full of German/Austrian GC guys. I'm sure Bora would prefer parading results with Buchmann over Almeida.

But again, i get why he's leaving, but whether or not it will prove to be the better choice remains to be seen.

Because they have not been known to throw riders under the bus when it suits them, and are known for their tactical cunning. But i get what you mean (regarding ITT heavy GTs).
The things with youngsters, in cycling and in all the other sports, is that they have the strength but they lack the patience of and older and wiser man.
Maybe Almeida could regret in a few years time the choice that he has made but as I see it... I love ambition and self estim in a rider and to be honest, DQ proved that for them Almeida was a son of a lesser God and that Evenepoel is going to be the big Star on their project, and Almeida doesn’t want that and I’m with him all the way!

There’s been talk of offers close to 3M EUR...

If it’s true that Almeida wants to go to a team where he can get leadership and support then he’s better off at DQT (Movistar: Mas, Soler, MAL), Bora (names already mentioned by Logic + possible Hindley and Cian already next year), UAE (Pogacar, McNulty, Ayoso,..),..

And DQT is supposedly his dream team...

So i’d say money is the deciding factor here.

I also believe Bora is a really really bad fit.

Last edited:
I'll refer you to mine from earlier in this very thred;

I think it's very difficult right now to know whether he's making the right move or where he should head. Obviously he doesn't feel valued at DQS. Whether he's right to demand more we will see.
Right now there's quite some hype in this thread. Maybe he will improve with the same rate as the past months and weeks, then all the money and promises are justified. But it could also be others overtake him again with the same speed.

Sounds like the most important thing for him is to feel like people trust him and his abilities, and many people also need money as proof for that, apart from what they can actually do with it.

Personally I see Bora as a very good fit if he's truely one of the next main GC guys - if he's just one of, like, 20, I don't know if he'll be that happy at Bora because then he will eventually have to fight for his position as well.

At UAE the only thing better than at DQS will be the money.

At AG2R I don't see him improving further. But they would no doubt make him their Tour leader - until a promising French GT talent willing to sign for them comes along. Okay, let's face it. There are no real promising GT talents, at least not as long as time trials exist.

At Movistar - well, at this point, if I was a very ambitious rider, I just wouldn't go to Movistar. Who knows what they will do with anyone. But maybe there's a cultural thing that would make it easier to go to a Spanish team than to a German one, for instance. But! He could become a filmstar here!! So if he cares about popularity...

The things with youngsters, in cycling and in all the other sports, is that they have the strength but they lack the patience of and older and wiser man.
Maybe Almeida could regret in a few years time the choice that he has made but as I see it... I love ambition and self estim in a rider and to be honest, DQ proved that for them Almeida was a son of a lesser God and that Evenepoel is going to be the big Star on their project, and Almeida doesn’t want that and I’m with him all the way!
Like i said, Evenepoel is one guy. Plenty of premium races to be raced left. There is not one team that can support Almeida adequately, without at least as many or more teammates vying to be top dog. You say he's the son of a lesser god at DQT, i think you are (or maybe he is) envisioning a perfect team for Almeida that simply doesn't exist. He needs to be undisputed leader, have top support and get paid top dollar. You can't have it all. At UAE he will not be top dog. At Ineos or Jumbo neither. French or Spanish teams? We'll see how "child of a lesser god" he is the moment the next Pinot or the next Contador signs and he'll crawl back to DQT on his knees. At Bora, a German team with plenty of German speaking GC riders, it remains to be seen if that problem won't manifest there either. The evil you know is better than the evil you don't.

If he gets a good offer he should go to UAE. There will be a year when Pogacar wants to go to the Giro, so he can be the main Tour GC guy then... I don't see Bora or AG2R as good cultural fits.
Same opportunities will present themselves at DQT. So, if it's just for the money, he should remain cautious.

As it stands, Evenepoel hasn't confirmed his GT potential yet, unlike Pogacar. What if evenepoel doesn't grow into the GT beater we're expecting him to be? Almeida could be stuck babysitting Pogacar (or Buchmann, or ...), while DQT has a dozen of unused mountain domestiques at their disposal.

Reactions: Lui98 and groogster
As I see it, only true champions believe in themselves before anyone else so I truly think that the main factor here for him not staying in DQ isn’t the money. He just believe in himself and wants to be the leader.
If he goes to Bora I don’t see anyone better than him for a GT (not even Buchmann) and let’s not forget that he is only 22 years old.
If he goes to UAE I don’t see him being worst than McNulty, just the opposite In fact, and at Movistar with Valverde being at the end of his career and Enric Maas under performing I just see Lopez being the only one that can pull the trigger on Almeida (as I see it Soler is not even a contender).

So imho after all that happened with DQ at this Giro I strongly support Almeida’s decision to make a move.

P.S. DQ is my favourite team since a long time

Like i said, Evenepoel is one guy. Plenty of premium races to be raced left. There is not one team that can support Almeida adequately, without at least as many or more teammates vying to be top dog. You say he's the son of a lesser god at DQT, i think you are (or maybe he is) envisioning a perfect team for Almeida that simply doesn't exist. He needs to be undisputed leader, have top support and get paid top dollar. You can't have it all. At UAE he will not be top dog. At Ineos or Jumbo neither. French or Spanish teams? We'll see how "child of a lesser god" he is the moment the next Pinot or the next Contador signs and he'll crawl back to DQT on his knees. At Bora, a German team with plenty of German speaking GC riders, it remains to be seen if that problem won't manifest there either. The evil you know is better than the evil you don't.

Same opportunities will present themselves at DQT. So, if it's just for the money, he should remain cautious.

As it stands, Evenepoel hasn't confirmed his GT potential yet, unlike Pogacar. What if evenepoel doesn't grow into the GT beater we're expecting him to be? Almeida could be stuck babysitting Pogacar (or Buchmann, or ...), while DQT has a dozen of unused mountain domestiques at their disposal.

Very good points indeed, I miss you in the last days!
You wake up brains with your logic and I love it even if I don’t agree with you all the time

As I see it, only true champions believe in themselves before anyone else so I truly think that the main factor here for him not staying in DQ isn’t the money. He just believe in himself and wants to be the leader.
If he goes to Bora I don’t see anyone better than him for a GT (not even Buchmann) and let’s not forget that he is only 22 years old.
If he goes to UAE I don’t see him being worst than McNulty, just the opposite In fact, and at Movistar with Valverde being at the end of his career and Enric Maas under performing I just see Lopez being the only one that can pull the trigger on Almeida (as I see it Soler is not even a contender).

So imho after all that happened with DQ at this Giro I strongly support Almeida’s decision to make a move.

P.S. DQ is my favourite team since a long time
"After all that happened"... but what exactly is that? I feel people are grossly exaggerating what happened. He had to wait for Evenepoel in two stages. Two. Not five, not ten. Two. Stage 11 and 14. Before the final week, he was cut loose. He lost three minutes waiting for Evenepoel, not ten, not twenty. Three. He lost his leader status, because he himself had a bad day and was already behind 5m in GC, while Evenepoel was only 15s behind. This was his fault, not the team's. In hindsight, the team should have known better (they knew Evenepoel's situation better than any of us, and judging by recent interviews/articles, it seems they actually did think there was a chance he was ready... unfortunately, he wasn't). If the team did really think Evepoel had a shot, it makes perfect sense they chose him, considering he was 5 minutes ahead of Almeida at that moment, and Almeida had already had a bad day in week 1. Same situation could happen at any other team. Watch Movistar pick Mas over him when Mas is ahead in GC. Watch FDJ pick Gaudu when he is momentarily ahead in GC, and Bora would do the same with Buchmann...

I feel the team screwed up Evenepoel much worse than they did Almeida. The biggest mistake they made, was they didn't assemble a better support team for Almeida and Evenepoel in the Giro. And i can only assume they will do better next time. With better support, someone else could have waited for Evenepoel. With better support, Almeida wouldn't have lost 5 minutes in one stage. With better support, they could send two GC teams to two different GT's next year. No need to have Almeida battle with Evenepoel.

And sure, he'll be better than McNulty at UAE, but do you expect Pogacar to retire anytime soon? So why would that be better than at DQT? At Movistar there is Mas and Lopez, and both will still be above him for the time being, or at best as equals.

I honestly think this might turn into a "grass is always greener on the other side" case quickly.

Reactions: dastott and Bolder

TRENDING THREADS