• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Before the first uphill test Remco attacked intermediate sprints which means that the Team decided to bet on him right from the start. Plus, when Almeida had a bad day he did have any help from his teammates.
I have already told you 2 or 3 times. It was not a team decision, Remco and Keisse were simply at the front when they could take 2 seconds and they did. Remco was co-leader at that time and DID NOT HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION. The seconds were there, he took them. João is free to fight for boni seconds himself, they can be taken every stage.

The moment Almeida got dropped, there were only 2 teammates left in the front of the race. Serry who was dropped from the break and got caught by Evenepoel's group AFTER Almeida had already been dropped and worked for Evenepoel briefly. And Masnada, who tried to stay with the leader who was in best shape: Evenepoel. A few minutes later both Masnada and Serry got dropped from Evenepoel's group and Evenepoel was alone. After he got dropped, Serry helped Almeida, who also got help from Knox as they crossed the finishline together.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Before the first uphill test Remco attacked intermediate sprints which means that the Team decided to bet on him right from the start. Plus, when Almeida had a bad day he did have any help from his teammates.

Didn't have any help? Look at who finished 48th and 53rd on his bad day

I remember when Soler was upset when he had to wait for Quintana. Doesn't make Soler any less of a rider though.
Soler was going for the stage win, that's a bit different to this situation, Almeida was going nowhere.
The way I see it, the blame is on Almeida. I don't buy that bad connections story. If you have a guy who is 2nd overall with you, you take care of him all the time. He can't be dropped for minutes without seeing it.
But the question is what's behind that? Sure, we have that leadership issues, but that was settled when Almeida shipped 5 minutes. If you have one rider at 14 sec and other at 5-6 min, only lunatic wouldn't understand the hierarchy, even if it wasn't said (though I'm sure it was).
Stage win was out of the question,
What's left then? I would say personal issues. Almeida isn't the biggest Remco fan it seems (like Soler wasn't a fan of Nairo). He simply doesn't respect him as a leader. That's why he played deaf and dumb teammate role.
And while he's totally the one to blame in this situation, that "respect for the leader" thing goes both ways. Remco is very young but he must learn something from this situation. He needs to earn respect from his teammates, he needs to sacrifice for them occasionally, to put his ego aside for a while, when it's not that important day. They want to ride for the great champions, but they also want to ride for the good teammates.

Well, now that i get the facts straight i will give my personal opinion about all this mess!

First things first

The problem was already being built with bad calls from Deceunick before Giros day 1!
They had 2 young guys in a team with the qualities to be GC contenders , for this discussion it doesn't matter who has greater potential, as any young professional they have personal ambitions and if in the past was obvious for everyone that João was going to be Remco's domestique, even for them both, the crash last year and the amazing result of João at last year Giro changed in some extent that "status quo".
Now that you have to make a decision for leader of the team you must be prety clear about it with everyone, the team, the fans, the media.
This was not done, sending unclear and confusiong messages in the following days, at least for the media and fans
Lefevere states shortly before the start of the giro that despite Remco´s presence on the team the leader would be João
Few days before the start of the Giro Lefevere states that both will have a shot and that Remco will be protected and send the jersey numbers, they chose to give nº 91 to Remco and nº 92 to João (everyone knows that usually cycling WT teams give the lowest number to their teams leader). So another confusing message, specially for the 2 riders
Then Lefevere states that João will not make a new contract with Deceunick blaming essencialy João Agent ( btw Lefevere always trash riders agents) and that he will be leaving the team in 2022. He also states that for him, both are leaders and the road will decide which one works for whom.

So day 1 and there are already conditions for the perfect storm to gather but let's keep ongoing:

• Stage 1 and João stays 2 seconds ahead of Remco
  • Stage 2 and João and Remco still with the co leadership on Lefevere previous words, and in the first bonus intermediate sprint we saw deceunicks convoy launching Remcos and not João (for anyone who doubts it and think that was a thing of the moment and that Remco only grab the opportunity just watch the available video from Eurosport highlights stage 2 and pause it at 1:51 where it's clear that Deceunick is ready to launch remco for the sprint). So another problem, because if joao is 2 seconds ahead of remco why deceunick chose to launch remco instead of João? Maybe João by then is starting to be a little bit confused and frustrated with the lack of respect
  • Stage 4 and both are tied in GC and so accordingly Lefevere both should be protected. João starts being dropped from the GC group riders at 4,7km from the finish line and being a leader is all alone! (once more available at Eurosport highlights stage 4 video where you can pause it at 2:33 to have a clear picture of what i said). Where are the domestiques for João, shouldn't anyone from deceunick be at all times with the leader? Sure they arrive later on with João, but he was alone for more than 1,5km (it reminds me something). Another brick on the wall in João head at this moment
  • Stage 11 it's obvious to everyone by now that João must work for Remco since stage 4 and untill now he was doing it flawlessly but after the 1 sterrato section the entire deceunick team with the exception of João, blow themselves up closing the gap created by Ineos and now remco is starting to be left behind with no one around him, in the meantime João is having good feelings, we can see that he is always very well positioned in the main group and it seems that he is riding easy, however he should be worried about where the hell is remco because by then i don't believe that João doesn't know that he is not on his wheel! All hell went loose then after the 3rd section of sterrato because as soon as the riders enter the last section we can clearly see remco staying way behind and only then we see João talking on radio and only then he starts to slow down so remco can catch his wheel. After all the soap opera in the next few minutes between them and Deceunicks car João finaly starts to pull Remco untill the finish line and it's only fair to emphasize that he did and amazing job doing it and saving remcos hopes of get a Top3 at this Giro. Was he the best domestique? No he wasn't! Did he obey the orders when sent? Yes he did!
Has Deceunick treated João in the best way possible? Maybe not! Should Remco pay for this? Surely not!

That's the way i see it

Last edited:
Almeida though wasn't in the position of Lemond in 85, when the American could have actually taken the coveted prize were it not for his DS misinforming him of the actual circumstances. Hinault crashed and the situation on a French team dictated the law as one would expect. This makes me think, however, of an old Italian adage about dictating the law: either you are the strongest or the most ill-mannered.

Last edited:
Reactions: groogster
They started as co-leaders in the end. I fail to see how Keisse leading out Evenepoel to grab a few seconds there means that the team clearly picked Evenepoel. Are they supposed to simply let these seconds pass because it may hurt feelings if they grab them?

There was nobody left to help Almeida when he lost all these minutes. Perhaps he really did just have an awful day and Will outperform Evenepoel throughout the rest of the Giro but there was no-one left to tow an Almeida who lost a Massive amount of time over a relatively short distance to the finish line.

I can agree that the ego's were not handled well and that it is probable that there were factions within the team but the two things you listed don't strike me as slights to Almeida.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, but the hype was mainly build by fans. People wanted to see the impossible... João does not have atm the conditions to win a GT and Remco returns from a 9 month without competition and never rode a 3 weeks race. So it was never going to happen.

Personally i don't know yet, what exactly will happen. Just about anything is still possible. Currently i am mostly judging what already happened.

Hype made Ineos to prepare for Evenepoel, rather efficiently. In addition that took the element of surprise away. Powerful weapon such youngsters usually have at their disposal, first GT. In addition it made the situation in the team bad.

But some options are still open. Recovery in week 3, Zoncolan performance ... This are things still in need to be answered. Nobody knows for sure.

And there is i guess still the question of that signature move. But for that to stand a real chance Almeida will need to be on board.

We'll see.

Reactions: groogster
Personally i don't know yet, what exactly will happen. Just about anything is still possible. Currently i am mostly judging what already happened.

Hype made Ineos to prepare for Evenepoel, rather efficiently. In addition that took the element of surprise away. Powerful weapon such youngsters usually have at their disposal, first GT. In addition it made the situation in the team bad.

But some options are still open. Recovery in week 3, Zoncolan performance ... This are things still in need to be answered. Nobody knows for sure.

And there is i guess still the question of that signature move. But for that to stand a real chance Almeida will need to be on board.

We'll see.

yes I agree, we need to wait for stages 14 and 16 to have a clearer picture. As far as Egan Bernal back stands he will win this Giro. He’s too strong atm

regarding João signature move, already made 99%
Today João’s Agent tweeted “morning. bora bora #botalume”

so I think the deal already done for him to go to Bora next year

Last edited:
And the soap opera continues ...
View: https://youtu.be/le3UyGGh2FI

Deceunick keeps doing it all wrong. What’s the point of doing this at halfway the giro. I won’t be surprised if one of this days João has an knee injury like Fausto Masnada

That's indeed a bit ridiculous. Did they upload this today?
Oh man, never thought DQS could be worse than Movistar in that respect...
Is their real aim to produce big film stars? :frowning:

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
yes I agree, we need to wait for stages 14 and 16 to have a clearer picture. As far as Egan Bernal back stands we will win this Giro. He’s too strong atm

regarding João signature move, already made 99%
Today João’s Agent tweeted “morning. bora bora #botalume”

It’s important to explain the meaning of that tweet to all of those that aren’t Portuguese ...

bora bora is obviously regarding to Bora Hansgrove but also a short word for the Portuguese word “embora” so when we speak in informal gatherings with friends and family we say many times “bora” instead of the entire word “embora”

“Embora” or “bora” in Portuguese means in English one of 2 things accordingly with the context “although” or “get away”

so I think the deal already done for him to
Go to Bora next year

Reactions: limak_
And the soap opera continues ...
View: https://youtu.be/le3UyGGh2FI

Deceunick keeps doing it all wrong. What’s the point of doing this at halfway the giro. I won’t be surprised if one of this days João has an knee injury like Fausto Masnada
Wasn't this posted on the restday and after Almeida lost 5 minutes already? Not sure what's wrong with it according to you. You say you don't see the point of doing this halfway the Giro. If it was posted before the Giro, then it would be wrong. Not when Evenepoel is sitting in second and Almeida is done for GC.

That's indeed a bit ridiculous. Did they upload this today?
Oh man, never thought DQS could be worse than Movistar in that respect...
Is their real aim to produce big film stars? :frowning:

In youtube it says that was uploaded 1 day ago so i don't know if it was before or after stage 11
I just saw it a few minutes ago because a friend send me the video

if it was before it explains a lot of what happened yesterday, not giving credit for Remcos best domestique untill stage 11
If it was after... well imo it's even worse

Unbelievable if we think that Masnada already gone and that the other guys are clearly underperforming untill now .
If we think that Remco will need all the help he can get in the next stages... it leaves only one name... João Almeida...

Besides, I don’t know what's on his mind but if it was with me tomorrow morning i would wake up with a knee injury!! I really would! That's unforgivable to humiliate that kid in public!! When i have a problem with my kids I take care of it inside my house, without any of the neighbors knowing it!!

• Sad
Reactions: noob and perico
Few days before the start of the Giro Lefevere states that both will have a shot and that Remco will be protected and send the jersey numbers, they chose to give nº 91 to Remco and nº 92 to João (everyone knows that usually cycling WT teams give the lowest number to their teams leader). So another confusing message, specially for the 2 riders
It's worth noting that Lefevere claimed this was a decision made by the Giro organizers and that they could not change it in time anymore. If true that does not mean that QS couldn't have communicated with the race organisation better but it does mean that this was unintentional. Careless but not malicious if you will because Almeida was intended to ben 91.

Wasn't this posted on the restday and after Almeida lost 5 minutes already? Not sure what's wrong with it according to you. You say you don't see the point of doing this halfway the Giro. If it was posted before the Giro, then it would be wrong. Not when Evenepoel is sitting in second and Almeida is done for GC.

Well you are getting my post very wrong... This video was posted yesterday!! Yesterday! Don't know if it was before or after stage 11, because as you know youtube doesn't publish the time of the upload, only the day 19/05/2021
As far as i know restday was in 18/05/2021

Let me try to explain it to you:

The wolves supporting Remco

As the title indicates it's a deceunicks statement of how the team is beside his leader "Remco".
As far as I know João Almeida is part of the team
As far as I know, untill stage 11 and by far the best domestique for Remco was João Almeida, he was with him all the time in all stages
In the video they interviewed Fausto, Knox, Honoré, Serry
They didn't interviewed João, his best man!

So... if it was posted before stage 11, it may explain some of the things that happened after!
If it was posted after... there's no need to do a public statement humiliating João. They have for sure the right to point the finger at their riders everytime they don't perform as they should, but they should do it at the bus, at the hotel, by phone call, whatever they want but, privately!! It's commom sense!

• Sad
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
It's worth noting that Lefevere claimed this was a decision made by the Giro organizers and that they could not change it in time anymore. If true that does not mean that QS couldn't have communicated with the race organisation better but it does mean that this was unintentional. Careless but not malicious if you will because Almeida was intended to ben 91.
I didn't knew that. Thanks for the information :)

Well you are getting my post very wrong... This video was posted yesterday!! Yesterday! Don't know if it was before or after stage 11, because as you know youtube doesn't publish the time of the upload, only the day 19/05/2021
As far as i know restday was in 18/05/2021

Let me try to explain it to you:

The wolves supporting Remco

As the title indicates it's a deceunicks statement of how the team is beside his leader "Remco".
As far as I know João Almeida is part of the team
As far as I know, untill stage 11 and by far the best domestique for Remco was João Almeida, he was with him all the time in all stages
In the video they interviewed Fausto, Knox, Honoré, Serry
They didn't interviewed João, his best man!

So... if it was posted before stage 11, it may explain some of the things that happened after!
If it was posted after... there's no need to do a public statement humiliating João. They have for sure the right to point the finger at their riders everytime they don't perform as they should, but they should do it at the bus, at the hotel, by phone call, whatever they want but, privately!! It's commom sense!
It was posted 10 am yesterday on twitter, so it was definitely before the stage. I agree that Almeida is his best domestique and I find the blaming from yesterday ridiculous. However I'm sure they asked around who wanted to be interviewed. Next to Almeida Keisse probably has been his best domestique and he wasn't interviewed either. Keisse is also the guy who is part of the team the longest and has the best relation with Evenepoel, so it doesn't seem like they just chose the teammates who Evenepoel liked the most. I guess it's more of an unfortunate thing combined with the unfair blame on Almeida by some supporters.

It was posted 10 am yesterday on twitter, so it was definitely before the stage. I agree that Almeida is his best domestique and I find the blaming from yesterday ridiculous. However I'm sure they asked around who wanted to be interviewed. Next to Almeida Keisse probably has been his best domestique and he wasn't interviewed either. Keisse is also the guy who is part of the team the longest and has the best relation with Evenepoel, so it doesn't seem like they just chose the teammates who Evenepoel liked the most. I guess it's more of an unfortunate thing combined with the unfair blame on Almeida by some supporters.

Thanks for the info regarding the uploading time. I hope that was the case but i don't think so, I'm prety sure that riders contracts have clauses that force them to do these type of promotional videos for the team. Sure that João should have the mindset to not being influenced by this, but being so young and with the kind of pressure that he's being put to since last year i think that he isn't very happy. I really hope that we don't have anymore soap opera untill the end of this Giro

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS